Search

Jim's Original Maxwell Street stand

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2004, 12:23 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Jim's Original Maxwell Street stand

Jims is a walk up stand that serves hot dogs, polish, but what really drew me to Jims was the bone-in pork chop sandwich.

It was a chilly evening; I had just finished beers with some friends of mine and was trying to decide where to grab a quick bite before heading home. Jims came to mind. It is quite easy to get to, as I was heading south out of the city on the Dan Ryan when I simply exited at the Taylor St/Roosevelt exit. One just needs to keep heading south along the Frontage Street that becomes Union. Just south of Roosevelt is Jims, open 24 hours a day I believe.

For $3.10 I got a large pork chop sandwich, fries (just so-so) and a can of pop.

The trick is to find out where that bone is and simply eat around it. The sandwich comes with mustard, grilled onions, and the pork chop served on a non-descript white burger bun.

Damn tasty sandwich for sure. Good thing I did not know about Jims in my drinking days; this would have been a regular stop for sure, which would have entailed a few DUI's probably.

A friend highly recommends the polish, says one of the best in the city.

Jims Original
700 S. Union (Union & OBrien)
Just south of Roosevelt
Chicago
Open 24 hours (I believe)
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:12 pm

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
LOVE this place!!!
I used to go to Jim's about every day for a 'cheeseburger, no onions!'(they will put fried onions on just about anything). The porkchops are great. the brats are good, but I don't think they're the best in town.
The only problem I ever encountered there was 'Hey, I said no onions!'

[This message has been edited by HigherFlyer (edited Mar 17, 2004).]
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:57 pm

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
Oops. Duplicate.

[This message has been edited by HigherFlyer (edited Mar 16, 2004).]
Old Mar 23, 2004, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
When I was in graduate school, we'd go drinking on Thursday night because the cover charges were lower and very few of our classes were on Friday. Jim's was a regular 2am stop in the summertime, then we'd take the food to the driveway in front of the Tribune Tower, park the car there, and eat our alcohol-absorbing pork chop sandwiches looking out over Michigan Avenue and the Chicago River.

Jim's polish used to be and probably still are Slotkowski brand. Slotkowski makes the best polish sausage bar none. Byron's is another place that used to serve Slotkowski, but I don't know if they still do.

I was actually a bit disappointed my last time at Jim's, but it might have been a bad day. Maybe I'll stop there tonight on the way home since I drove today.

[This message has been edited by ElmhurstNick (edited Mar 23, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.