Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Has anyone had the dessert tasting at Tru?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2003, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!

I recently read about a five-course dessert only tasting at Tru (either at the bar or after 9 pm in the dining room for the apres-theatre crowd).

Has anyone done this?

How much? How many goodies? Eat a light dinner before hand or just inject insulin?
Old Oct 29, 2003, 7:55 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I was just at Tru Saturday. They're trying to get the after-theater crowd in for a light dinner or for dessert. They were seating people as late as 11:30 p.m., when we left.

From what we were told, you get five dessert courses each with a couple of items centered around a different theme - fruit, chocolate, etc. At the end you chose from mignardises cart (counted as one of the courses). I believe it's a bargain - about $25 a person. I don't think the dessert offerings are any different than what you get with one of the dinner collections. We had six desserts plus the cart on Saturday with our dinners.

If I was going in late, I think I'd still have a bite to eat earlier. Or you could order a cheese plate too ... just in case you thought your cholesterol count might be a little low.

Old Oct 29, 2003, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Thanks for the feedback. I have been trying to get the boyfriend into Tru for sometime but he keeps claiming the experience would be "wasted" on him. I figured that dessert might be a nice compromise.

Hmmm... wonder if I could do a caviar staircase and then dessert?
Old Oct 29, 2003, 10:11 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
You can do the caviar staircase pretty cheaply too. The Iranian caviar staircase is just $20 and then it goes up from there. I don't eat caviar, but I think the staircase is pretty cool. They sell the glass staircases - in theory anyway. I asked how much one was because I thought I could serve cheese or chocolate truffles on it and they're something like $600! I'm going to see if I can't get a glass artist I know of to make me one for less. The first time I ate there I fell in love with their Versace cups and ended up buying a bunch of those.

As for the experience being lost on your boyfriend, Tru does some interesting things that I think most anyone would find pretty fun. I don't know what the guy at the next table was eating, but whatever it was it came in a glass bowl inside another glass bowl that had a Beta (the bright Japanese fighting fish with the flowing fins and tails) swimming in it. Now I'm thinking I need some Betas for our next dinner party ... Their art collection is pretty wild too. Be sure to go to the restroom downstairs and notice the interactive piece nearby.

Another good deal at Tru is to have the sommelier pair the wines with what you're eating. We had tastes of five or six different wines for two this last time and it was about $60, far less than we would have spent on a bottle. Glasses of champagne, the caviar staircase and dessert would probably get you out pretty reasonably.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've had the blowfish dish before... I think it was a tartare of some sort. Pretty bizarre when you think about it!

Hmmm... sounds like I have a dinner game plan for my next trip to the Windy City!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.