Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best downtown-area breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2003, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Best downtown-area breakfast?

I'm always looking for suggestions for good breakfast spots in the downtown area -- the Loop, River North, etc. I used to hit the Dearborn Diner just north of the Westin, but it has been converted to another diner with a more limited menu.

So besides hotels and bagel places, where do you go? I'm always up for a good late-morning omelette or waffle, especially on the weekends.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I lament this greatly, because my family owned a diner downtown for 35 years (where the Goodman is now across from the Daley Center). I grew up with people sitting down and having breakfast before work. I find nothing in the Loop proper really worthy any more.

Lou Mitchell's is the classic, but for some reason I haven't been there in years. There's a place out around 1400 West Randolph that I've been meaning to try some morning that I'm driving downtown.

In River North, my guess is that Cambridge House over on Ohio near St. Clair is probably still good. I almost stopped in there this morning as I had a meeting in that part of town, but I was running late.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 4:18 pm

Happily, I rarely have to be downtown. And even happier...even rarer for breakfast. But if I did, I would would go to Lou Mitchell's. It's a Chicago classic.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions -- I had forgotten about Lou Mitchell's. I've been there for a great breakfast at least once in the past...I'll have to try Lou again. I don't recall the coffee being very good but then I'm a bit of a coffee geek.

Cambridge House is still a good diner as of my last visit there about one year ago. Otherwise, I can't find much else downtown except for the chain bagel shops and places like the local Corner Bakery chain, which seems to be packed with long waits every time I've walked by.

I suppose the best thing for me to do in Chicago is to have a light breakfast and save my time and calorie allowance for good meals at lunch and dinner. I'm usually up for a good fat-laden dish at Le Bouchon.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 10:44 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I read much about Heaven on Seven for a NO inspired breakfast.

Will see if I can dig up a link.

I like Lou's but I think it has gone downhill.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Bump...

Found a good diner on a recent trip -- Tempo Cafe, on Chestnut in the Gold Coast area. Great breakfasts, open 24 hours a day, etc. You know the drill. Lots of cops, neighborhood people and out-of-towners who know the place. I had one of the best waffles of my life there. My wife had an excellent corned beef hash and eggs. Both dishes were perfect.

Tempo is a classic Greek diner with good, efficient service. Prices are not super-low but the food is more than good enough to make it worth a few extra bucks. (Two enormous breakfasts with coffee were about $20 w/tip, which is not bad for downtown Chi. Portions are huge, too.

I believe the same family who owns/operates this diner also own Santorini, a nice restaurant in Greektown.

Thumbs up on Tempo.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Over...spx?RefID=1319
Old Sep 23, 2003, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pietro:
Bump...

Found a good diner on a recent trip -- Tempo Cafe, on Chestnut in the Gold Coast area. Great breakfasts, open 24 hours a day, etc. You know the drill. Lots of cops, neighborhood people and out-of-towners who know the place. I had one of the best waffles of my life there. My wife had an excellent corned beef hash and eggs. Both dishes were perfect.

Tempo is a classic Greek diner with good, efficient service. Prices are not super-low but the food is more than good enough to make it worth a few extra bucks. (Two enormous breakfasts with coffee were about $20 w/tip, which is not bad for downtown Chi. Portions are huge, too.

I believe the same family who owns/operates this diner also own Santorini, a nice restaurant in Greektown.

Thumbs up on Tempo.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Over...spx?RefID=1319
</font>
Thanks! I've been trying to figure out where we'll go for breakfast this Sunday since we're staying downtown...may just have to give this one a try! Other options are Orange or Toast (I know...a wide variety there!)
Old Sep 23, 2003, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

If you go on a weekend for breakfast, be sure to get there early or get ready to wait for 20-30 minutes. It's a popular place.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 10:15 am

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles
Another place you might want to check out is the Original Pancake House. I think there is one around where Rush and State intersect.
They have one pancake that takes 30 minutes to cook, but it's definitely worth the wait.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PrinzII:
Another place you might want to check out is the Original Pancake House. I think there is one around where Rush and State intersect.
They have one pancake that takes 30 minutes to cook, but it's definitely worth the wait.
</font>
Oh, if you're going to do that to your system, you're best off going to the grandaddy of them all in Wilmette. The north suburban franchisee pulled away from the parent company about 35 years ago. The menu is similar, the food is a notch or two better, and they have a wonderful collection of stained glass to stare at while waiting.

When I was growing up there, we were monthly visitors. Now I still try to sneak up there twice a year, but I like going for a late lunch on a Saturday as it is a bit more peaceful.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM

[This message has been edited by francophile (edited 10-10-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.