Search

Chicago's Best Veggie-Friendly Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2002, 10:03 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Chicago's Best Veggie-Friendly Restaurants

Quoted from the Chicago Tribune's Red Eye Nov 13, 2002 edition.
"
Alice and Friends Restaurant - The smoked veggie duck w/plum sauce, rice and iceberg salad comes closer to the real thing than you'd expect. Other options include the Himalayan Spirit: BBQ "un-beef" w/root vegetables and wild sesame leaves. Wash it down w/a ginseng-spiked smoothie or fresh juice. 5812 N. Broadway, 773.275.8797

Chicago Diner - Since 1983, the crew at this Lakeside classic has been slinging seitan and tofu for their vegetarian and vegan neighbors. Think dinner faves like shepard's pie (w/lentils subbing for lamb) or a wheat meat Philly steak sandwich, washed down w/organic wine or beer. 3411 N. Halsted, 773.935.6696

Hot Doug's - Vegetarians in the know will tell you that Hot Doug chars up the best veggie dog in town. Order one w/everything and a side of fresh-cut fries for a true Chicago experience, veggie-style. 2314 W. Roscoe St. 773.348.0488

Jim's Grill - Pull up to this unassuming Irving Park breakfast and lunch counter for big steaming bowls of satisfying and healthy Korean specialties like Tofu Bi-Bim-Bop (w/or w/o the traditional fried egg on top) and "Misogetti" from the former chef of veggie favorite Amitabul (now located on the NW side) 1429 W. Irving Park Rd. 773.525.4050

Lula Cafe - This cool, low-key Logan Square favorite has been getting loads of national press for its unique, organic cuisine that focuses on ingredients from local farms. Creative veggie specials and menu standards like peanut sesame noodles, Lula Maki w/ancho chili mayo and brunch-time tofu scrambles always hit the spot. 2537 N. Kedzie Blvd, 773.489.9554

Soul Vegetarian - This South Side dining room....don't miss the vegan Mac & Cheese. Apps like deep-fried protein tidbits served w/a down home BBQ sauce for dipping and a selection of hearty sandwiches (lentil burgers, jerk "chicken") round out the menu. 205 E. 75th St, 773.224-0104

Karyn's - This casual vegan eatery's all raw menu features everything from almond pate to meatless meatloaf and lasagna. The expansive salad bar and juice bar provide an easy alternative to fast food. 1901 N. Halsted Ave, 312.255.1590"
Old Nov 15, 2002, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Here again, I have to be contrarian, in that I can't stand the Chicago Diner. I ate there several years ago, and found my meal to be bland and almost inedible. Not that I don't like vegetarian - in fact, over the last ten years, I have reduced my consumption red meat and all kinds of animal flesh, and increased my consumption of vegetable/plant products enormously, but I eat "traditional" vegetarian foods, like Indian, Middle Eastern, salads, that sort of thing.

The Casbah Cafe, on Broadway south of Belmont, is well worth checking out, and they serve vegetarian things.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 12:43 pm

Programs: United
I have to agree with Anonplz. I have been to the Chicago Diner a couple of times. Full disclosure: I'm nowhere close to being a vegetarian but went there to placate vegetarian guests. I didn't think it was anything great. But it wasn't as bad as I would have guessed. If I have to eat vegetarian, take me to a good Italian restaurant and just let me get some vegetable pasta with some cream or red sauce.

P.S.: Man does Sweet Willie eat out a lot.

-------------
ChicagoBound - formerly PremEx2000 (wrong year, wrong status!)
Old Nov 16, 2002, 6:57 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ChicagoBound:
P.S.: Man does Sweet Willie eat out a lot.</font>
yes I do.

By the way, I have not dined at any of the restaurants mentioned, I was just the messenger of an article.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.