Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Rental car strategy at ORD. Return night before?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

Here's the deal. I have a 7:15 AM flight from ord-cle next week Tuesday. I'm staying the night before at the HGI on River Road 3 miles away in Des Plaines. Do you think it would be quicker (and less painless) to either: 1. Drop my car off Monday after my meetings around 6 back at the car rental place, take the ATS back to the terminal, then grab the HGI shuttle to the hotel for the night and at 6 am Tuesday take the HGI shuttle back to the airport OR 2. Take car back 5:30 am to car rental place then take the ATS back to the terminal?

Thoughts?
Old Jan 31, 2024, 12:22 pm

Unless keeping the car is particularly expensive, I'd prefer driving myself over two hotel shuttle trips plus an extra ATS trip. It also allows you to be on your own schedule vs a fixed shuttle schedule and the risk that the shuttle is late.

I haven't used the new O'Hare MMF but before it was built I was known to occasionally park my own car at an airport hotel and then move it to an airport lot before my 5am flight the next day.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I'd drop the car off the night before and then take an Uber or Taxi from the rental car center to the hotel (which is barely 1 mile from the rental car center) or call the hotel and see if they can send the shuttle over to pick you up at the rental car center and then take the hotel shuttle to the airport in the morning.

Looking it up, parking is $20 a day (night) at the HGI. If this is a work trip, and you're worried about someone wondering why you had an unexpected cab fare, explain that turning in the rental car the night before and avoiding the hotel parking fee more than offsets the cab fare. If this is a personal trip or you self-approve work travel expenses, you're coming out ahead in cash (and sanity and time) IMO by dropping off the car the night before and taking a cab/Uber over to the hotel from the rental car facility versus paying to park for the night and keeping the car over the longer period, particularly if you have the AmEx Plat $15 Uber Credit you can use for the ride over to the hotel.

ETA: also consider checking the Airport Terminal Hilton to see how the nightly rate compares to the rate you have at the HGI. If the same or similar rate and you can cancel the HGI reservation, consider booking the Hilton and dropping off the car, taking the ATS to the terminal, walk to the hotel, and then be able to head right down into the terminal in the morning.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Jan 31, 2024 at 2:38 pm
Old Jan 31, 2024, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Thanks for the tips. It's a business trip so taking the uber wouldn't be a big deal as I'm offsetting the parking fee (and probably a lower rental car cost if I'm only renting it for a few hours).
That Hilton isn't approved cost wise. I get that HGI for $110 a night and it's directly billed so no hassle.
I just did a google search but it doesn't appear there is much walking distance from the HGI for bars or restaurants. Something to consider also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.