Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purdue University Airport (LAF) getting first Airline Service in 20 years

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2023, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Smile Purdue University Airport (LAF) getting first Airline Service in 20 years

Starting in ~April 2024, Southern Airways Express will fly 24 round trips per week between Chicago O'Hare and LAF in West Lafayette. (Southern isn't a regional carrier, but partners with UA and AA for ticketing, baggage, etc)

The last time LAF had flights was way back in February 2004, with AA's "American Connection" flights to STL. Really interesting to see, especially given how many small airports have been losing air service over the last few years. The airport is also getting a new terminal, opening in 2025.

Thoughts? I know I'll be using it- looking forward to skipping the shuttles and Chicago traffic.
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 7:34 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
When you they "partner on ticketing and baggage". What exactly does that mean? With regards to baggage, I would assume interlining bags?

As someone that used to live in Indy and fly out of IND. That last flight was so problematic that we often just drove to Chicago instead of dealing with the connection. From Lafayette, even more so. Now, that depends on flight times etc also, that drive up to ORD can be a real cluster as well.

In the end, I am sure additional options are a good thing.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mcgahat
When you they "partner on ticketing and baggage". What exactly does that mean? With regards to baggage, I would assume interlining bags?
My understanding is that you can buy itineraries via UA, AA, or AS which include Southern Airways flights, and it'll all be on one ticket and checked bags will be interlined. I've seen several such itineraries pop up when looking for tickets on Google Flights.

The one big limitation I've seen is that you can't book award flights with any of these airlines if they include a leg on Southern- though you should earn miles when paying cash.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Daniel25
My understanding is that you can buy itineraries via UA, AA, or AS which include Southern Airways flights, and it'll all be on one ticket and checked bags will be interlined. I've seen several such itineraries pop up when looking for tickets on Google Flights.

The one big limitation I've seen is that you can't book award flights with any of these airlines if they include a leg on Southern- though you should earn miles when paying cash.
Ok, the ability to book as one ticket is important for multiple reasons. I definitely see the alure of flying out of a small easy to maneuver airport so I am sure people will appreciate the addition of the service. However, I have rented a car at ORD and driven back to Indy more times than I can count!
Old Dec 24, 2023, 8:27 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
A data point, I flew on Southern earlier this year. I booked on AA with the connection in DEN. Baggage was interlined and the tags were printed appropriately.

The drawback was arriving about five hours later at my destination. Southern has a limited number of aircraft and the one we were to use was delayed arriving in DEN which was followed by storms that arrived after the aircraft arrived, I recall that it was a single-engine turboprop Cessna Grand Caravan.

For the return trip the flight was canceled due to a maintenance issue so the station manager had to find us an Uber to drive us to DEN. AA accommodated my situation since the flights were on a single PNR. Ironically Southern was planning to fly the aircraft to DEN anyways with a ferry permit so the maintenance issue could be addressed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.