Reload this Page >

ORD T5 Immigration / State of Play / Micro-Rant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2023, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 2CVG
In a few days, I am arriving at internationally at Terminal 5 , ORD. After passing thru immigration, collecting my bags, and rechecking my bags for my domestic flighgt from Terminal 1, how can I find the Terminal Transfer Bus from T5 to Terminal 1 to avoid the long TSA lines at Terminal 1?
Print Wikipost

ORD T5 Immigration / State of Play / Micro-Rant

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2023, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Thank you for your continued updates - we appreciate it!
Yes, thank you for the updates, appreciate the opportunity to give feedback. I’ve been through T5 in June, October and November and with my last trip can finally start to appreciate where the project is going.

Hopefully 2024 brings closure to the project.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 4:25 am

There's a major shift on passengers flow exiting the FIS hall starting Monday. I was hoping to get a rendering to post but for the most part, instead of 2 officers collecting the card at the exit point, there will be 4 officers/lanes. The new public washroom opens up and another temp wall comes down. Signage (of course the afterthought) will need changing but seeing it's Wednesday and this takes place Monday expect some confusion.

Conceptually:
  1. Claims 1-5 will exit lanes 1 and 2
  2. Claims 6/7 will exit lane 3
  3. Claims 8/9 will exit lane 4.
CBP will have the ability to shift folks around if one lane backs up. GE wasn't mentioned but, the goal is not to have long exiting queues like they've had in the past. By Summer 2024 CBP wants to have this nailed down, so there will probably be changes after this initial setup. (the government never gets things right the first time)
aisleorwindow and xobile like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 2:18 pm

Programs: EY
A bit of a sidebar, but in a Sun Times article about the new Global Terminal, the final line mentioned future improvements at T5 that were in intial renderings and plans, but apparently have not been funded yet, which I'm sad to hear about as I was looking forward to new access improvements to the terminal. I did once see somewhere buried on the City's webpages drawings for the road that will take people directly from T5 over the Balmoral/O'Hare Road intersection, through the existing helicopter pad, and on to I-190 East, for example.

"Other plans for the international terminal include an adjacent hotel and roadway improvements. Neither have been designed — or, more crucially, approved by the airlines that pay the bills."

https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-ha...lights-chicago
Old Nov 30, 2023, 4:24 am

The 190 work which includes some of the T5 roadway is funded through IDOT. That is still progressing. The hotel isn't too critical for now.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 5:52 am

The main sterile corridor coming from the east will be fully opened to accommodate the holiday season. Construction work will resume after the first of the year.
aisleorwindow, BCH and goodeats21 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Was International arrival again just before Christmas. Much smoother and more organized. Global Entry machines still located around a corner, but had CBP there directing movement and no back up at all.

And amazingly, my checked bag came out in a very reasonable amount of time. Near perfect visit this time around.

Will be thru again on New Year's Day. I imagine it will be VERY busy, so curious how it all flows then.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Was International arrival again just before Christmas. Much smoother and more organized. Global Entry machines still located around a corner, but had CBP there directing movement and no back up at all.

And amazingly, my checked bag came out in a very reasonable amount of time. Near perfect visit this time around.

Will be thru again on New Year's Day. I imagine it will be VERY busy, so curious how it all flows then.
Came thru again on New Years Day. Arrival gate was 35, which was a LONG walk to processing. Once there, all smooth again. No backup on the upper floor and only a very brief wait for an open Global Entry kiosk.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 10:47 am

Came thru again on New Years Day. Arrival gate was 35, which was a LONG walk to processing. Once there, all smooth again. No backup on the upper floor and only a very brief wait for an open Global Entry kiosk.
Good to hear and yes, the far east gates do make for a nice leg stretch. I'll push this out here now, there could be some bump along the way with CBP staffing over the short term. End of January is the next large target date for construction area to be completed.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 7:21 am

Programs: EY
How is the immigration area laid out now? you mention upper floor, while I recall earlier you had to go down one level to enter the immigration area and be on the same level as the exit
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by xobile
How is the immigration area laid out now? you mention upper floor, while I recall earlier you had to go down one level to enter the immigration area and be on the same level as the exit
There's still a couple of areas that have temporary walls up and there's still a section in the middle that needs to be demoed. There's also plans to have permanent passenger queuing setup in the main immigration area once it's completely opened by April.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xobile
from the far gates, you walk quite a ways "upstairs", finally reaching stairs / escalators to go down one level, then walk some more to get to the processing area.

There have been rare times when things have gotten so backed up, they stop people at the top of the stairs / escalators and release them in stages, to avoid getting on the escalator and having no way to get off due to the lines.

Last couple of times I have been through, no backup on the upper level, just the normal lines at the processing area.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 2:35 pm

Does anyone know whether there is a separate Mobile Passport Control line again, or if it is still closed for construction?
Old Jan 17, 2024, 8:47 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by guflyer
Does anyone know whether there is a separate Mobile Passport Control line again, or if it is still closed for construction?
Last 2 times (granted this was in 2023), I was able to use MPC in the Global Entry line. YMMV.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by guflyer
There is a lane for MPC still in place. I arrived yesterday at 5pm and was checking signage. With carryon only, arrival gate M18 and GE was out the door within 7 minutes once on the bridge. Plenty of officers manning booths for non GE, MPC folks.
goodeats21 and guflyer like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:24 am

Another update...the arrivals hall of the FIS is now 100% completed and open as of this past Friday. Queuing lanes have been revamped and you should start seeing a much improved arrivals experience. There's still some construction storage areas that are located in the west FIS corridor that will be removed and then the area cleaned.

United airlines recheck is still on target to be completed by April 15th. Until then United will continue to use the common use recheck counters. The recheck area outside the FIS has gained nearly 20' in width.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.