Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

walking around downtown Chicago at night safe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2022, 9:22 am
Original Poster

I haven't been to Chicago in years, but have fond memories of wandering around Navy Pier at night. Planning on visiting in September.
Is it still safe to do that? And Millenium Park area, etc.

(and I guess it also depends on how one defines night. 11pm?)
Old Aug 11, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I haven't been to Chicago in years, but have fond memories of wandering around Navy Pier at night. Planning on visiting in September.

It would be helpful to actually add _which_ downtown that's relevant to the title since this is the Midwest Forum.

And beyond "downtown" where in a city as large as Chicago you're defining downtown. The Loop? River North? Magnificent Mile?

David
Old Aug 19, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Yes

Originally Posted by s0ssos

Navy Pier and Millennium Park are quite safe at night. Of course, as anywhere, one wants to stay alert but we frequently walk through the area (or on Michigan Avenue) after a show in the Theater District. No worries
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
As safe as any other major city. Advise against Navy Pier unless you're REALLY into hanging out with other tourists. Do an architectural boat tour through one of the major providers. The Architecture Center gets high marks but honestly you'll be pretty happy with any of them.
gretchendz and TWA884 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gretchendz
Navy Pier and Millennium Park are quite safe at night. Of course, as anywhere, one wants to stay alert but we frequently walk through the area (or on Michigan Avenue) after a show in the Theater District. No worries
Thanks! Wondered if things had changed since the years I've been there. Glad to know it is same as prior.

Originally Posted by CLEguy
As safe as any other major city. Advise against Navy Pier unless you're REALLY into hanging out with other tourists. Do an architectural boat tour through one of the major providers. The Architecture Center gets high marks but honestly you'll be pretty happy with any of them.
Sometimes you just want to be a tourist (like sometimes you just want junk food). But yes, I know what you mean.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 20, 2022 at 6:24 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 22, 2022, 10:33 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
I'm not sure that much of anything will be open around Navy Pier and Millenium Park at 11 pm, but It should still be safe.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 1:08 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Putnik
I'm not sure that much of anything will be open around Navy Pier and Millenium Park at 11 pm, but It should still be safe.
So you are saying that everything will be closed (agreed) but somehow safe for someone out of town?
Old Aug 23, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Snuggs
So you are saying that everything will be closed (agreed) but somehow safe for someone out of town?
Yes. The Bean, for example, will still be there and should be accessible. I'm assuming CPD still heavily patrols those areas. Am I wrong?
Old Aug 23, 2022, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. The Bean, for example, will still be there and should be accessible. I'm assuming CPD still heavily patrols those areas. Am I wrong?
I think all Chicago Park District parks close at 11pm.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
At 11pm? This isn’t Singapore.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 6:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I’ve walked to the Hyatt Regency Chicago from the Washington stop on the CTA blue line late at night. No more weird this year than in 2019 or 2009, but I can see how some people would be at unease with seeing few “normal” people around for much of the walk.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 8:27 pm

I won't do that, don't ruin your good memories...
Old Mar 30, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by dyxu0909
I won't do that, don't ruin your good memories...
What does this mean?
Old Apr 3, 2023, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
River North and West Loop are totally fine around that time. Not sure what there is to do in Millennium Park at 11pm. We walked Michigan Avenue on a Sunday afternoon and were totally underwhelmed--not need to go back there unless necessary. And absolutely no thanks to going near Navy Pier at any time of day.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 8:20 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Ah but

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
River North and West Loop are totally fine around that time. Not sure what there is to do in Millennium Park at 11pm. We walked Michigan Avenue on a Sunday afternoon and were totally underwhelmed--not need to go back there unless necessary. And absolutely no thanks to going near Navy Pier at any time of day.
Is that due to safety issues or just lack of interest? I can understand the feeling that Michigan Avenue has become an uniinteresting mall...but it feels safe to me. Same with Navy Pier. May not interest you but it feels safe, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.