Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Is Chicago for Travel These Days?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by TWA884
My daughter used to live across the street from the Peninsula Hotel. It's less than a five minutes walk from the Red Line station at Chicago Ave and State Street. Add a minute if the OP is staying at the Warwick Allerton Hotel across Michigan Avenue.
Yep, and that would require a transfer in the Loop since it's the blue line goes to ORD
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 4:49 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Yep, and that would require a transfer in the Loop since it's the blue line goes to ORD
I am well aware; I have done that transfer numerous times in both directions between ORD and River North.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Peninsula? That location is actually a bit far from a blue line station. Your options are going to involve a transfer to a bus or the red line, either at Chicago or in the Loop. Google Maps will work fine for route planning.
It's like a 20-35 minute walk from just about any CTA Bue Line stop?

Beside the option of doing a transfer to a bus or doing a transfer to the Red Line while in the Loop is the option to transfer to a taxi/Uber/Lyft from one of the CTA Blue Line stops. But at that point it may just as well be worth it to take an Uber/Lyft direct from ORD instead.
gretchendz and CLEguy like this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:54 pm

Is the blue - red transfer difficult?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:56 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by garethmorgan
Not difficult at all. Just get off the Blue Line downtown at the Washington Station and walk across the hallway to the Red Line. You’ll need your farecard again in order to swipe through but it’s a free transfer. This CTA page does a great job of explaining which passenger exit to look for when hopping off the Blue Line :

https://www.transitchicago.com/station/wasb/

Make sure to take the Red Line train *northbound* toward Howard Street when transferring, as opposed to riding south toward 95th Street.
GUWonder, gfunkdave and CLEguy like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 6:15 am
Suspended

Not generally, but at times I have chosen to avoid it anyway. I guess it depends on how nimble you/your fellow travelers feel with whatever is being ported at CTA stations and on the trains. For some, that transfer is one step too much at times. Others just consider it easy enough.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:40 am

We'll have a couple of suitcases, are there escalators / elevators?
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:21 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
We'll have a couple of suitcases, are there escalators / elevators?
There are two locations where you can transfer from the Blue Line to the Red Line en route from ORD to River North.

The first one is at Washington, where there are elevators and escalators; however, there you exit the Washington Station and walk a short distance through an indoor mall to enter the Lake Station. You need your ticket to enter the Lake Station (there is no extra charge).

The second transfer point is the second station past Washington, at Jackson. There, you do not exit the station, however there are a few steps into and out of the tunnel connecting the Blue Line platforms and the Red Line platforms.

Here is a link to the CTA Rail System Map. Take at look at the enlargement of the Loop detail at the bottom left.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:34 am

Thanks; Washington sounds better. Wheeled cases and walking beats stairs.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Beside the option of doing a transfer to a bus or doing a transfer to the Red Line while in the Loop is the option to transfer to a taxi/Uber/Lyft from one of the CTA Blue Line stops.
That's what I have done in the past when visiting family in the gold coast neighborhood. Grab an Uber at the blue line Chicago Ave. stop. It's a busy intersection, safe neighborhood, should be relatively easy to get an Uber there. IMO transferring from blue to red line in the loop would add at least 30 mins to the trip because you have to go all the way south into the Loop, walk with luggage to the Red line, wait for the Red line train, then travel back up north to the hotel. Escalators may be broken. Elevators may be inop or "fragrant"
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by paule123
That's what I have done in the past when visiting family in the gold coast neighborhood. Grab an Uber at the blue line Chicago Ave. stop. It's a busy intersection, safe neighborhood, should be relatively easy to get an Uber there. IMO transferring from blue to red line in the loop would add at least 30 mins to the trip because you have to go all the way south into the Loop, walk with luggage to the Red line, wait for the Red line train, then travel back up north to the hotel. Escalators may be broken. Elevators may be inop or "fragrant"
It’s an extra three stops on the blue line before the transfer, and three stops on red line after the transfer. The extra time on the train is minimal. But yes, the transfer from blue to red could add 15 minutes or more because sometimes there are long gaps between trains. I personally would either fully commit to public transit and ride it as close as it would take me to my destination, or just take a cab / uber from the airport to begin with. Mixing CTA and Uber, to me, brings the worst of both and optimizes for neither time nor money nor convenience.

One perk of sticking with the CTA all the way is traversing two of only three tunnels under the Chicago River that are open to the public. You can feel the change in depth and humidity.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by _kurt
It’s an extra three stops on the blue line before the transfer, and three stops on red line after the transfer. The extra time on the train is minimal. But yes, the transfer from blue to red could add 15 minutes or more because sometimes there are long gaps between trains. I personally would either fully commit to public transit and ride it as close as it would take me to my destination, or just take a cab / uber from the airport to begin with. Mixing CTA and Uber, to me, brings the worst of both and optimizes for neither time nor money nor convenience.

One perk of sticking with the CTA all the way is traversing two of only three tunnels under the Chicago River that are open to the public. You can feel the change in depth and humidity.
Picking nits but isn't it an extra two stops on both the Blue and Red lines to transfer at Jackson vs Washington/Lake?
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Picking nits but isn't it an extra two stops on both the Blue and Red lines to transfer at Jackson vs Washington/Lake?
I meant to compare transferring at Washington vs. getting off the blue line at Chicago and taking an Uber. I stated it was an extra six stops plus a transfer. But in light of your post I re-counted and it’s actually 5 unless you count the transfer from Washington to Lake as a stop
Old Feb 17, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by _kurt
I meant to compare transferring at Washington vs. getting off the blue line at Chicago and taking an Uber. I stated it was an extra six stops plus a transfer. But in light of your post I re-counted and it’s actually 5 unless you count the transfer from Washington to Lake as a stop
If one gets off at Chicago, the 66 bus is always an option, and fairly frequent.
GUWonder and pudgym29 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by paule123
When coming into the city from ORD and not destined to go straight somewhere that is convenient to one of the stops on the Blue line around the Loop, then I am also one of those who hop off at the Chicago or Grand Blue line CTA stops and then make my way above ground the rest of the way via Uber/Lyft/taxi, bus or even on foot at times.

If someone isn't able and willing to walk stairs, carry luggage on the stairs, and even lift luggage over "obstacles" at times while using the CTA, then I would suggest that maybe it's a good idea to consider just eating the cost of the taxi/Uber/Lyft directly from the airport. But if it's two highly-mobile adults with luggage they don't feel would be cumbersome going up steps, then the risk of the escalators being out isn't as much an issue even when transferring to the Red line is in the picture.

Indeed those elevators at CTA stations can be pretty nasty at times. I'd rather walk up the stairs than gamble on guessing what food/drink some earlier user of the elevators must have had in order to give the elevator it's "perfume du jour".

When coming from ORD by CTA, I try to avoid the Red train transfer even when wanting to get over to around the Water Tower. For me, it's been close enough to a wash time-wise between using the 66 Bus from Chicago or doing the Red line transfer somewhere. But since sometimes I just want to walk or want a taxi/car to get me to my destination and not necessarily have to deal with being underground for even longer.

When using the CTA Blue line stops at Chicago or at Grand, the 5-6 way "intersections" around them can be disorientating to some. Had more than my share of calls asking me "which way should I go"/"where should I be standing".
gretchendz likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 18, 2022 at 6:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.