Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Access to ORD and MDW terminals restricted beginning 7/31/2020.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2020, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Apparently, access to the O'Hare and Midway terminals will be limited to ticketed passengers and employees starting Friday night 7/31/2020. They will even set up check points at night for people exiting the CTA to check that they have a ticket or employee ID.

This is in addition to yesterday's announcement that passengers can no longer board trains from midnight to 4:00 am, but can still exit trains. I don't know what they'll do if someone arrives on a train at 12:15 am but doesn't have a copy of a ticket on them. In fact, I haven't carried a copy of a ticket with me to the airport this century. I just get a boarding pass at the self-checkin.

And I don't know what they'll do about people who want to take the train to a car rental place or want to transfer to a Pace bus.

ADVISORY: Terminal Access To Be Limited To Ticketed Travelers and Airport Employees

Old Jul 31, 2020, 7:32 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
At this time, there are no plans for daytime checkpoints, but CDA security and CPD reserve the right to request to see appropriate credentials (employee badge or boarding pass).
Old Aug 4, 2020, 6:38 am

Programs: UA MM
I'll make a guess. One reason is to prevent homeless people from setting up shop in the airport.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by planko
I don't know what they'll do if someone arrives on a train at 12:15 am but doesn't have a copy of a ticket on them. In fact, I haven't carried a copy of a ticket with me to the airport this century. I just get a boarding pass at the self-checkin.
There's this nifty thing where you can get a boarding pass on your phone...
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many airports prohibit overnight "guests". Some simply establish a 2-3 hour period in the middle of the night when the only use of the terminals is for arriving passengers on delayed flights (& employees).
Old Aug 19, 2020, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
There's this nifty thing where you can get a boarding pass on your phone...
A boarding pass is not a ticket. If the rule literally is that someone must have a ticket, the best option would be to find the receipt in email, which could be hard to do quickly on a phone.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A boarding pass is not a ticket. If the rule literally is that someone must have a ticket, the best option would be to find the receipt in email, which could be hard to do quickly on a phone.
If the rule is that literal, then the receipt isn't a "ticket" either. I'm 99.999% certain that a boarding pass proves that you are a "ticketed passenger."
Old Aug 19, 2020, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
If the rule is that literal, then the receipt isn't a "ticket" either. I'm 99.999% certain that a boarding pass proves that you are a "ticketed passenger."
The receipt is proof of a ticket having been issued. Tickets are electronic, so you literally cannot show someone a (physical) ticket, although I guess (for most airlines) you could find the reservation on the carrier's website and click on the ticket number or click through from the emailed receipt.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The receipt is proof of a ticket having been issued. Tickets are electronic, so you literally cannot show someone a (physical) ticket, although I guess (for most airlines) you could find the reservation on the carrier's website and click on the ticket number or click through from the emailed receipt.
I don't know how one gets a boarding pass without a ticket, so the boarding pass would be proof of a ticket having been issued. Therefore, showing a boarding pass on your phone is extremely likely to get you into the airport. <shrugs>
JBord likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.