Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Gigantic crowds at ORD

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/p...cbJ9j4GCRvTifU
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This reminds me of the six hours lines for foreigners at ORD around September 1st when there was a CBP computer meltdown just when all the new foreign students were arriving. GE folks zipped through by stepping over all of the people sitting and sleeping in line in the hallways. Other USA citizens had waits of an hour or two.

It's a good thing that the deadlines for USA entry by Schengen and UK people are stated in terms of the flight's departure time and not time of completion of CBP immigration processing.
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:32 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
That's nuts. I thought the 2hr domestic security lines I've seen at T3 were bad.
ezefllying likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:32 pm

IAD and DFW as well, apparently.

Insider is reporting crowds at ORD, DFW, and IAD:

https://www.insider.com/crowds-trave...vel-ban-2020-3
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gee. All that crowd increases infection risk!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:27 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by Randomness

After seeing the utter ridiculousness which with this crisis has been managed, by both the citizens and the leaders, I realize that the United States is no more. It's no longer the same US that it was once, and I doubt it will ever be again.

Throughout history, national crisis have always brought the best of everything to the top--from Pearl Harbor to the Great Depression to 9-11--and now this joke of mess management is the best there is? We're all dead with mass stupidity like this, and China will be buying the whole country behind closed doors shortly after it needs 'bailout' money. I'm completely ashamed to be an American right now as we're a joke compared to other nations ability. We are literally that dumb kid in school that is too big to mess with, but that everyone knows is as dumb as a box of rocks.
ExpatExp and Basanez like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by username
Gee. All that crowd increases infection risk!
Yeah, that's mentioned in the article.

Public health experts bemoaned the scenes, noting that the dense crowds presented a perfect opportunity for coronavirus transmission.

"Good God. You could hardly invent a better scenario for superspreading events," tweeted Jeremy Konyndyk, a senior policy fellow at the Center for Global Development. "Any cases of COVID in these crowds will have a far higher chance of spreading to others in these lines than if they were just allowed in unchecked."

Another expert, biology professor Carl Bergstrom of the University of Washington, tweeted that the crowds were "a perfect storm for creating massive case clusters."

He continued: "To be clear, this is an absolute failing of policy and planning. This could have been entirely avoided. And now it will *without doubt* accelerate the epidemic of #COVID19 #coronavirus with the US."
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Randomness

So much for the advise to enable and encourage social distancing.

Causing crowds like this helps the spread of the virus.

DHS should be revising its practices to stop the spread of the virus. That would include CBP not fostering the conditions for such crowding at airports and TSA giving up the ID and boarding pass checks for domestic flights at US airports.

DHS should have taken action to make sure that conditions for more virus spread wouldn’t happen at airports as a result of DHS actions and that they don’t make the homeland less secure from the virus, but it’s apparent that they didn’t manage this well.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 15, 2020 at 12:54 am
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:47 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
What should be happening is that arriving flights should each be given a disembarkation “slot” based on actual arrival time. Then, only one international flight should be allowed to disembark at a time. Once 80-90 percent of that flight’s passengers clear customs, let the next flight deplane.

There won’t be much more delay, if any, via that process, and you’ll dramatically reduce crowding in the terminal. I’d much rather sit in a HEPA-filtered aircraft than a jam-packed arrivals hall right now.

I don’t think this is rocket science.

Last edited by ezefllying; Mar 15, 2020 at 9:22 am Reason: Fixing late-night typos
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just look at how many Global Entry machines are INOP at various airports, what do you expect?

On top of that, maybe they view this as a temporary thing and did not put much thought into it? I mean, in a few days, this is not going to be a problem.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
This chaos reminds me of the Muslim ban.

Well, the guy in charge is very good at declaring bankruptcy and starting over, right?
It’s not often that a government has the “fortune” of having trial-run a travel ban a couple years earlier. You’d think they could have worked out the kinks this time around.

(Not that anyone in charge in 2017, at the cabinet level, is still there. Institutional memory is pretty low at the SES level right now.)

Just look at how many Global Entry machines are INOP at various airports, what do you expect?

On top of that, maybe they view this as a temporary thing and did not put much thought into it? I mean, in a few days, this is not going to be a problem.
That Liberty Bond parade in Philadelphia was a one-day event and it wrecked havoc on the city 102 years ago. This looks like one of those apocalyptic scenes out of Wuhan in late January.
username, jjmadison and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 22, 2020 at 10:13 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:12 am
Suspended

I thought it was not wise to announce the border closure well in advance. Now they created more problems. They should have shut down the entry from schengen countries immediately two days ago.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:17 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
Sounds like there are delays at other airports as well. I’m in on a layover in Frankfurt, about to head to IAD. Assuming that a 4 hour layover is treated as “being in Europe,” I am not holding out much hope for my global entry doing any good in this situation.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mama
I thought it was not wise to announce the border closure well in advance. Now they created more problems. They should have shut down the entry from schengen countries immediately two days ago.
That would create a different set of problem.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:35 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by zoomgirl
Sounds like there are delays at other airports as well. I’m in on a layover in Frankfurt, about to head to IAD. Assuming that a 4 hour layover is treated as “being in Europe,” I am not holding out much hope for my global entry doing any good in this situation.
Unless you're a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder, I don't think they're going to let you on that plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.