Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Vacation in Chicago - Rental Car Recommended?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: M&S, Radisson

Two of my relatives (both in their mid-sixties) asked me for advice regarding a one-week visit to Chicago. They have never been and want to do the usual sightseeing stuff. They will be flying into ORD and will be staying at the Hyatt Regency.

Would you recommend getting a rental car in this instance? Why or why not?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by 1flyer
Two of my relatives (both in their mid-sixties) asked me for advice regarding a one-week visit to Chicago. They have never been and want to do the usual sightseeing stuff. They will be flying into ORD and will be staying at the Hyatt Regency.

Would you recommend getting a rental car in this instance? Why or why not?
There are several Hyatt Regency properties in the Chicago metro area. If your relatives are staying at the one in the center of Chicago (Wacker Drive), I would recommend that they do not rent a vehicle as much (most?) of their sightseeing will be downtown and having a car will be a waste pf money. Nightly parking in the hotel garage is costly. The last time I did it was several years ago and it was something like $60 per night, it may be higher than that now. Combined cost of parking plus rental will pay for an awful lot of taxi/uber fares.
1flyer likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Unless they are planning on activities that are not easily reachable by public transport (and not suburbs), or possibly have mobility issues, a car would not be advantageous.
1flyer likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Thanks for the replies.
Originally Posted by cheltzel
There are several Hyatt Regency properties in the Chicago metro area.
Oops, I should have been more precise. They're staying in the Hyatt Regency Chicago near the Magnificent Mile.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:41 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Tell them to ditch the rental car -- in all likelihood they can generously use cabs, Uber or Lyft and likely spend less than they'd spend on the rental car plus parking. Not to mention, the Hyatt Regency is in a location that's quite possibly one of the more confusing spots in Chicago thanks to the fact that it's near several key ramps between Upper Wacker, Lower Wacker and other multi-level or underground streets.
1flyer and Sweet Willie like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.