MCI terminal C

Old Aug 11, 17, 6:15 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 27
MCI terminal C

Hey guys,

So for the eclipse in a week I was planing on flying (with points) from ORD-MCI and watch from the airport, since MCI is in the path of totality, and then fly back the same day. My flight back leaves at 2:19pm on AA. Yes I know that is cutting it close but the later flight is sold out. So I have a few questions.

- I read that there is a renovation projection underway at MCI terminal C. Has this been completed?

- My flight seems to leave usually from gate 79. Is there a tsa precheck line nearby?

- What is security like in that terminal? Totality starts at 1:08, last for about 1-2 minutes. I was hoping to stay to watch more of the partial eclipse as long as possible. Since the gate will close at 2:09, would 30 minutes be enough time to make it from outside (where I can see eclipse), through security (TSA precheck), and to the gate? That would make me have to head in at 1:39. It does seem like a small terminal from the maps but I am sure a lot of people might be going inside around the same time.

Any help would be appreciated
billy10drs is offline  
Old Aug 13, 17, 10:11 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 41
I usually fly out of terminal B so I can't give you too much relevant information, however:

- I know there WAS a renovation project, but that was a while ago - may be a different project but regardless I don't think it will affect your experience one way or the other.

- There was a big hubbub a while ago about American not having TSA precheck. I know they planned to address this, I think this is the renovation project I was thinking about - but this was over a year ago that I heard about it. I would expect American to have precheck by now, but don't take that as gospel.

- Security usually isn't a big deal. MCI sucks but the one nice thing is that security is right by your gate so it's not going to really be an issue. Once in a blue moon you'll get a cluster of flights leaving at the same time causing some queues, but even in this case, they will usually walk out to security and call for passengers on a certain flight if there's a long line and they are missing pax. Anyway, 30 minutes should be plenty of time but keep an eye on security before you walk outside to watch the eclipse. Some people might be thinking the same thing as you!
alman84 is offline  
Old Aug 14, 17, 9:02 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Palm Beach/ New England
Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 3,917
Originally Posted by alman84 View Post
I usually fly out of terminal B so I can't give you too much relevant information, however:

- I know there WAS a renovation project, but that was a while ago - may be a different project but regardless I don't think it will affect your experience one way or the other.

- There was a big hubbub a while ago about American not having TSA precheck. I know they planned to address this, I think this is the renovation project I was thinking about - but this was over a year ago that I heard about it. I would expect American to have precheck by now, but don't take that as gospel.

- Security usually isn't a big deal. MCI sucks but the one nice thing is that security is right by your gate so it's not going to really be an issue. Once in a blue moon you'll get a cluster of flights leaving at the same time causing some queues, but even in this case, they will usually walk out to security and call for passengers on a certain flight if there's a long line and they are missing pax. Anyway, 30 minutes should be plenty of time but keep an eye on security before you walk outside to watch the eclipse. Some people might be thinking the same thing as you!
The renovation is complete -- it was however not much more than a gate consolidation. The good news: the renovation did add TSA Pre-Check to the consolidated AA checkpoint, now encompassing gates 76 to 85

MCI terminal C faces primarily north, so ideally you may want to be at the gates 88-90 end of the terminal to see the western sky.
fastflyer is offline  
Old Aug 14, 17, 1:43 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by fastflyer View Post
The renovation is complete -- it was however not much more than a gate consolidation. The good news: the renovation did add TSA Pre-Check to the consolidated AA checkpoint, now encompassing gates 76 to 85

MCI terminal C faces primarily north, so ideally you may want to be at the gates 88-90 end of the terminal to see the western sky.
Excellent news about tsa pre!

For viewing, can't I go to that parking structure across the way? Or do you suggest I go to the 88-90 end and view from the curb?

Near what gate is the entrance to security that I need to go to (from the map, it looks like there is one near 84, 87, 89, 90)?

Originally Posted by alman84 View Post
I usually fly out of terminal B so I can't give you too much relevant information, however:

- I know there WAS a renovation project, but that was a while ago - may be a different project but regardless I don't think it will affect your experience one way or the other.

- There was a big hubbub a while ago about American not having TSA precheck. I know they planned to address this, I think this is the renovation project I was thinking about - but this was over a year ago that I heard about it. I would expect American to have precheck by now, but don't take that as gospel.

- Security usually isn't a big deal. MCI sucks but the one nice thing is that security is right by your gate so it's not going to really be an issue. Once in a blue moon you'll get a cluster of flights leaving at the same time causing some queues, but even in this case, they will usually walk out to security and call for passengers on a certain flight if there's a long line and they are missing pax. Anyway, 30 minutes should be plenty of time but keep an eye on security before you walk outside to watch the eclipse. Some people might be thinking the same thing as you!
Thanks! This is super helpful.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 14, 17 at 10:01 pm Reason: merge
billy10drs is offline  
Old Aug 14, 17, 2:27 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Palm Beach/ New England
Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 3,917
Originally Posted by billy10drs View Post
Excellent news about tsa pre!

For viewing, can't I go to that parking structure across the way? Or do you suggest I go to the 88-90 end and view from the curb?

Near what gate is the entrance to security that I need to go to (from the map, it looks like there is one near 84, 87, 89, 90)?
Yes, you could view from the top level of the parking structure. It is not higher than the curb, but at least you won't have traffic in front of you.

The new AA security area is around old gate 79 -- I think exterior door C-8 is the closest.
fastflyer is offline  
Old Aug 14, 17, 3:27 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by fastflyer View Post
Yes, you could view from the top level of the parking structure. It is not higher than the curb, but at least you won't have traffic in front of you.

The new AA security area is around old gate 79 -- I think exterior door C-8 is the closest.
Hm ok.

I am kind of surprised the airport hasn't made an announcement about the eclipse. Like I can't be the only person who has this plan. Plus, I am sure essentially the whole terminal will empty out to the roadway right around the time of totality when people start seeing people head out, no?
billy10drs is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread