Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Metra - Mobile Hotspot Providers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Chicago Metra - Mobile Hotspot Providers

Are there any regular Chicago Metra riders here? I'm going to have to start commuting downtown regularly in November and am looking to obtain a mobile hotspot so I can work on the 90 minute Metra ride. A year or two ago I had Sprint, and tried tethering but the experience was awful. I'm not looking to repeat that experience, so between AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, or an MVNO, I'm curious what provides a usable experience for routine web browsing.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to move this to the Chicago forum, but in the meantime I'll add that I always had good experiences with coverage of the three remaining carriers when I lived in Chicago. Sprint was the only one I didn't have any experience with.

Where will you be commuting in from?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Far northwest suburbs (MD-N line). I've had some experience with all 4 major providers in the Chicago but Sprint is the only one I've tried using as a mobile hotspot while on the train. Sprint was halfway decent while stationary, but was awful on the train.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:47 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I commute on the UP-North Line and have good coverage with both AT&T and Verizon.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Wife commutes on Metra Electric. Both ATT and Verizon have worked for her.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all. Trying out Verizon, will see how this goes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.