Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for a good steak in a very casual atmosphere

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Looking for a good steak in a very casual atmosphere

We'll be heading to Chicago for a week next week. As the title says, we're looking for a good steak in a restaurant where we won't be gawked at when we walk in in polos, shorts and sneakers. We're staying in the River North area for 4 nights and the Midway area for 3 nights, but will have 7-day CTA passes, so anywhere along a transit route (train or bus) would be fine. Thanks for any and all ideas.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
While Chicago isn't a dressy city, the good steak houses are not really casual. You'd stick out wearing shorts and sneakers I think.

You'd be fine with that attire in the mid-level chains, like Wildfire.

I'd suggest upping your dress just slightly...khakis and a polo with casual shoes is fine. Or nice/fashionable jeans with nice shoes and a collared shirt/polo or even sport coat, and you'll fit in fine at just about all the steak houses in Chicago.

That said, this is not a pretentious city that will make you feel too uncomfortable for your dress. You won't be refused entry or have any snide comments from restaurant staff. But based on the fact that you posted the question, you'll be more comfortable with long pants and nice shoes, and you'll be able to enjoy your dinner without thinking about it.

There are a lot of good places for steak in Chicago, and everyone has their favorite. Near where you're staying in River North, you have David Burke's, Sullivan's, Michael Jordan's, Chicago Cut, Kinzie Chophouse, Bavette's to name a few. Gibson's and Morton's are not too far away. Narrow it down to a few and post back if you want specific comments on dress, clientele, location, quality, etc.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:37 am
Original Poster

I took a look at the Wildfire website, including their menus. Also looked at their most recent reviews on Trip Advisor. This looks like it's right down our alley. We're staying within easy walking distance, so will definitely try it for lunch and/or dinner. Thank you so much for the idea.

Any other ideas in a similar vein? Not being too familiar with Chicago, I don't know what mid-level chains similar to Wildfire are available. Thanks again.

I'm a card-carrying member of the Light Packer Club. As such I sometimes go to extremes to keep my luggage load down. Packing an extra shirt, sports jacket, slacks and pair of shoes just for one meal is something I'd like to avoid if possible. Choices like Wildfire make that possible.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by YourNameHere
I'm a card-carrying member of the Light Packer Club. As such I sometimes go to extremes to keep my luggage load down. Packing an extra shirt, sports jacket, slacks and pair of shoes just for one meal is something I'd like to avoid if possible. Choices like Wildfire make that possible.
Absolutely do not need a sports jacket for most of the places JBord has recommended. Shorts, if well-tailored, might well pass, although I myself wouldn't go in a t-shirt.

The difference will be in the quality of the steak. A place like David Burke, for instance, dry-ages their steaks in house in a special room. And it's all USDA prime, not choice.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Pants or nice jeans with a polo or other collared shirt would work at most places, no sports coat needed. Nice shorts with a polo (no flip flops) would probably work to eat at the bar at David Burke's Primehouse or Bavette's and outside at Gibsons. You could also try Swift & Sons.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:29 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Harry Carey's, Fogo de Chao, Ditka's, Smith & Wolensky (patio) and Kinzie Street Chop House (patio) are other spots where I think you'd be comfortable wearing shorts.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Harry Carey's, Fogo de Chao, Ditka's, Smith & Wolensky (patio) and Kinzie Street Chop House (patio) are other spots where I think you'd be comfortable wearing shorts.
Good thoughts. I haven't been to Ditka's or Kinzie, but agree on the rest, especially on the patios.

Personally, other than these and Wildfire, I don't think I'd be comfortable wearing shorts to any of the nicer places, but as a general rule nice jeans, nice shoes, nice shirt will make you fit in at about 95% of Chicago restaurants.

OP - as far as other mid-range places, I can't think of any off-hand, but Wildfire is a very good option. It won't be the best restaurant you've ever had a steak at, but it's very good and you won't feel cheated at all for what you get.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Looks like you guys have given us some great options. Thanks so much. I've already booked a reservation at Wildfire. We'll probably also try one of the others too. Looking forward to a great week.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
My son is a steak fanatic and can't stop raving about our meal at Swift & Sons. It is definitely on my top 5 best ever list (along with a place in Buenos Aires )

Anyone visited Gibson's by the airport (Rosemont)? We may try to meet a friend there.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 3:36 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Gibson’s has a pretty consistent offering of high quality, top notch fair. We often have dinner here prior to a tatl flight of 8 hrs or less. Also stop in for occasional lunch meeting. Can’t recall a disappointing meal.
JBord and hedoman like this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
My son is a steak fanatic and can't stop raving about our meal at Swift & Sons. It is definitely on my top 5 best ever list (along with a place in Buenos Aires )
It's been on our list for a while. All I've heard is rave reviews.

Originally Posted by Snuggs
Gibson’s has a pretty consistent offering of high quality, top notch fair. We often have dinner here prior to a tatl flight of 8 hrs or less. Also stop in for occasional lunch meeting. Can’t recall a disappointing meal.
Yep, I'd say that's the consensus view on the 3 restaurants. It may not be the best steak in town, but it's always good. There's also a Hugo's Frog Bar and Chophouse there, which is owned by Gibson's.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
The dry-aged ribeye at Bavette's is the best steak in Chicago, there is no comparison. And their wine corkage policy is pretty awesome too.
chgoeditor likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:34 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by CLEguy
The dry-aged ribeye at Bavette's is the best steak in Chicago, there is no comparison. And their wine corkage policy is pretty awesome too.
We love Bavette's and agree re. the wine corkage policy (particularly having been on the receiving end of it).
Old Sep 2, 2021, 9:01 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Best for ribeye, or straight across the board? I lean towards a bone-in (kc) strip as the ribeyes tend to be too fatty for my system.

Monday I'm heading to RPM with some guests, though waitlisted at Swfit's. I'd be interested in commentary.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by Snuggs
Best for ribeye, or straight across the board? I lean towards a bone-in (kc) strip as the ribeyes tend to be too fatty for my system.

Monday I'm heading to RPM with some guests, though waitlisted at Swfit's. I'd be interested in commentary.
In my experience, best across the board, but I'm partial to ribeye. They also have a dry-aged KC strip as well. The sides are also incredible. Get the mac, add bacon.

You should have a pretty good experience at RPM or Swift, but for my money Bavette's is the best game in town. If you waitlist on Resy there's a tiny chance you see a VERY last-minute cancellation open up space; it's a tough table to get for a reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.