Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Best sandwich at ORD to take on the plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN, UA, HHonors, MR

Wife and I are flying ORD-HNL in April on United. There's no meal service and they have sandwiches for purchase so I'd obviously rather get something to bring on with us. What's my best option for a good sandwich, or other portable food that travels well, and won't stink up the cabin? I know there's the Rick Bayless joint, but something tells me that won't hold well, and won't smell pleasant to others. Will be flying out of terminal 1 concourse B.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Don't worry about smells--Bayless is by far the best choice. We usually grab one and eat it in the gate area. Best airport food EVER.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Yeah, Frontera by B10 is the place. Holds up fine, unless you get to sit in the plane for 2 hours waiting to push back, like I did this morning.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Well, since it's a 9 hour flight departing at 9am, the intention is to have breakfast somewhere at the airport and have the sandwich for "lunch" on the plane. Maybe I'll grab a Frontera sandwich for breakfast and one of the pre-made deli sandwiches from somewhere for the plane. Or do you think the Frontera would hold up for 4-5 hours?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:13 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
9 hours with no food? Wow....I hate what travel has become.

Alternately, you can also bring food you prepare at home.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I agree. It might be better to eat at Frontera for breakfast and carry on something else for lunch.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by aktchi
I agree. It might be better to eat at Frontera for breakfast and carry on something else for lunch.
This. Full stop.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aktchi
Originally Posted by linglingfool
This. Full stop.
Thanks for the help, this was my original thought. I love a good Cuban sandwich, but I'm sure after 4 or more hours the appeal will be lost! By any chance does Frontera serve a full menu in the AM, or just breakfast until 11?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
My choice for good sandwich is Berghoff near the high C gates (20 something) in T1. The sandwiches are massive and tasty.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:27 pm

Food Poisoning @ Bergoff

My wife got massive food poisoning at Bergoff just before our honeymoon. We called the city and they did an investigation - shut the place down for 2 days to clean it up they had so many issues. This was a few years ago, not sure if it's gotten better.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by svalela
My wife got massive food poisoning at Bergoff just before our honeymoon. We called the city and they did an investigation - shut the place down for 2 days to clean it up they had so many issues. This was a few years ago, not sure if it's gotten better.
Seeing that this was your first post, I was going to say "Welcome To Flyertalk", but then I saw that you joined in 2004.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Sadly

Originally Posted by svalela
Bergoff is nothing like its glory days. So sad. If you don't mind a drive north, and you want great German food, go to Laschet's on Irving Park.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 4:46 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
The boyfriend loved his chipotle chicken torta from Frontera this weekend. He bought it about an hour before eating it on the plane and it seemed to hold up well. (That said, we waited for our order for 20 minutes at 11 am on a Friday.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.