Wiki Posts
Search

ORD Airline lounges: AA vs UA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold Elite
ORD Airline lounges: AA vs UA?

I'm flying in F on Lufthansa in January,2015.
I have access to AA lounges regardless of the airline I am flying on due to my Executive Platinum Card.
Flying on United from BNA and then F on Lufthansa out of ORD.
I have about a 6 hour layover-which lounge should I go to and why?
Thanks in advance!!!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
I have access to AA lounges regardless of the airline I am flying on due to my Executive Platinum Card.
Thanks in advance!!!
This is a toss up. UA will be the obvious choice, since it's the same terminal, and there is a lounge close to the LH gates. The two times I've flown LH F, the lounges where so crowded, it was standing room only. I was not offered any special food selection. The AA lounges are on terminal 3, UA is on terminal 1, a good 25+ minute walk at the least. Shuttles are outside security. With 6 hrs layover, I would opt for UA just for the convenience. UA will have crackers, Swiss/cheddar cheese, bananas, apples, mini carrots, AA will have crackers, cheese cube, apples, trail mix, yogurt covered mini pretzels & sometimes veggie tray. They both have coffee, tea soft drink, and free house drink.
I have the Citibank World Elite Card (AA) and the Chase Presidential Plus (UA) so I have lounge membership on both programs.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the well informed comparison!
American lounges do have food for purchase, do the United lounges have this too?
Guess I will check out the UA lounge first and if its crowded and noisy I may do the walk over to AA(probably a good thing before 2 back to back red eyes!)
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Departing ORD in LH F you should have access to the UA Global First Lounge. Upgraded food and beverage offerings and normally less crowded.

SunLover
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Good to know about that option!
Thanks a million!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Since your question concerns ORD, it's been moved to the Chicago destination forum where general airport-related questions are usually addressed.

Good luck!

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Oct 5, 2014, 6:48 am
glg

Originally Posted by SunLover
Departing ORD in LH F you should have access to the UA Global First Lounge. Upgraded food and beverage offerings and normally less crowded.
The one thing to note is that the First lounge is on C (by the top of the escalators as you come out of the tunnel), where the LH flights are at the high B gates.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Definitely the United GlobalFirst Lounge at ORD when departing on LH F.

Much better food and drink options compared to other lounges. I think they even have some "cook-to-order" dishes now (no charge). Newly refurbished with furniture and decor. A great shower facility for use if needed. Only a 5 minute walk to the LH gates when you are ready to board.

The GlobalFirst lounge is a bit hidden and not great signage. At the top of the escalator (from the tunnel between the B and C gates) is a large United Customer Service center. When facing the center, on the left side is a small hallway leading back to the entrance of the Global First Lounge.

If you really have 6 hours, I would probably end up leaving at some point just to stretch my legs and such. No problem with leaving / entering the lounge as often as you would like.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks in advance!!!
You won't be able to access the AA lounges with your Executive Platinum Card while flying LH. You'd have to be flying on a One World carrier to be admitted there. Did you mean to say that you have the CitiBank Executive card that comes with an AA lounge membership? If that's the case, then you'd have access.

I like the AA lounges a great deal more than the UA lounges, in part because the people who work at the AA lounges tend to be less dragon-like than their UA counterparts. Perhaps the UA F lounge is different (I haven't been to the one at ORD), but I do know that the one in SFO has some of the meanest UA employees in the system.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Yup I do have the card that gets me in no matter which airline I'm on and have used it when flying Delta and Southwest.
Nice that I have choices in ORD!
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The United GF lounge is the way to go. Good quality serve-yourself booze (if you're so inclined) as well as both a buffet and food made to order. I had the beef tenderloin and it was very tasty. Room shouldn't be crowded, and as others have said only a 5-10 minute walk to the LH gates.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Yup I do have the card that gets me in no matter which airline I'm on and have used it when flying Delta and Southwest.
Nice that I have choices in ORD!
It's worth pointing out that you would only have access to the Admirals Club and not the Flagship lounge with that card. You'd be better off accessing the United First club.

Not to mention the AC is a good 20-25 minute walk from the LH gates in the UA concourse.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
been to the UA one. quite crowded
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I have used the UA GF lounge several times over the last couple of years.

It can be crowded especially when there are several UA international departures leaving around the same time. Otherwise I have found it very quiet and relatively empty.

The food/beverage service is far superior to any UA/AA lounge I have been at in ORD.

As glg points out it is not very close to the LH departure gates. But you can easily get there in 15 minutes. I would avoid the B18 UA lounge as it is within 100 feet of the LH gates and it can be really packed before LH departures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.