Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warren Buffett's advice on getting to Omaha

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Warren Buffett's advice on getting to Omaha

I don't know if any FlyerTalkers will be going to Omaha for Berkshire Hathaway's annual meeting (although I would suspect some will -- it's quite a draw!), but in case you missed it in the Annual Report, here's Mr. Buffett's advice on flying in (see Annual Report, page 22):

"Airlines have sometimes jacked up prices for the Berkshire weekend. If you are coming from far away, compare the cost of flying to Kansas City {MCI} versus Omaha. The drive between the two cities is about 2-1/2 hours, and it may be that Kansas City can save you significant money, particularly if you had planned to rent car in Omaha."
Ol' Warren usually knows what he is talking about.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 5:45 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I went last year and enjoyed it. But I don't see how people go year after year after year. Fortunately I was able to drive there from MN with no need to rent a car. Even got "walked" from my hotel (before I even arrived) so my hotel costs for the weekend were $0
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
I'm doing this, he's suggested this for at least a couple years. Cost differential for me at least $100 round-trip, possibility of visiting Kansas City, and saved another $100 benefiting from a reward miles redemption bonus.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
DSM was also cheaper than OMA, but some of the flight timings from many of the choices within 2.5hrs of OMA are a bit crap.

It even looked like UA put some 757s on the route Friday evening and Sunday, something tells me they don't regularly run those to OMA.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:08 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let's share with the readers of the Midwest forum. I'll move this there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.