Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

is it a "bad idea" to ride the train from Cleveland airport to downtown?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by MissyH

thanks!
No ! --- for a midwest city, Cleveland has a good mass transit system.

Bob H
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:50 pm

I have taken the train many times and never had a problem. Now one time, going back to the airport, I hopped on the wrong train (in the wrong direction) so had to get off and wait for one going the right way, but everything turned out fine. But the lesson is, in heading back to the airport, make sure you get on the right train. I definitely prefer the train to cabs, and of course it's much less expensive and also environmentally friendly.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
nope. not a bad idea at all. I've done it a few times. It's very convenient. In fact, one of the most convenient rail lines to the airport there is. I even think it was the FIRST one.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:04 am

Loved the ride once traveled. Its really a fun where wine is allowed so you can have a party during travel and also you can win the trolly for free with round trip ticket, if you ride the coaster to Padres games. Its inexpensive, clean and always on time. Another good thing is its safety as I saw a team of security guards cruising through during the travel.
Old May 31, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by printingray
Loved the ride once traveled. Its really a fun where wine is allowed so you can have a party during travel and also you can win the trolly for free with round trip ticket, if you ride the coaster to Padres games. Its inexpensive, clean and always on time. Another good thing is its safety as I saw a team of security guards cruising through during the travel.

Uh, thanks for sharing, I think.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 6:31 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by printingray
Say what -- this part of this thread has been hi-jacked.

I thought the Padres played in San Diego and while Ohio does have a coast, it's Lake Erie, not the Pacific and the only National league team in Ohio is the reds.

Bob H
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:39 am

thanks!
MissyH - I live in Cleveland and take the Rapid often. It is generally safe. The cost is $2.25 one-way (with no transfers!) or $5 for an all-day pass. They also sell 5-ride (transfers allowed), weekly, and monthly unlimited passes.

The train is busy during rush hour (7:30AM - 9AM weekday mornings, 4:30PM - 6PM in the evenings), with mostly commuters riding the train during those hours. It also gets plenty of traffic before and after sporting events. If you ride it on a Sunday morning before a Browns game, expect people to be rowdy and likely drunk (but having lots of fun).

The train does go through some lower income neighborhoods, though I wouldn't say they are very dangerous. If you're a single female and want to ride outside of the busy periods, I would recommend sitting in the front train close to the operator. At least if anyone harasses you (which is still pretty unlikely), you'll be within sight of the operator. They also have police officers on the train many times. You should be just fine. Enjoy the ride (if you haven't already)!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vortix
MissyH - I live in Cleveland and take the Rapid often. It is generally safe. The cost is $2.25 one-way (with no transfers!) or $5 for an all-day pass. They also sell 5-ride (transfers allowed), weekly, and monthly unlimited passes.

The train is busy during rush hour (7:30AM - 9AM weekday mornings, 4:30PM - 6PM in the evenings), with mostly commuters riding the train during those hours. It also gets plenty of traffic before and after sporting events. If you ride it on a Sunday morning before a Browns game, expect people to be rowdy and likely drunk (but having lots of fun).

The train does go through some lower income neighborhoods, though I wouldn't say they are very dangerous. If you're a single female and want to ride outside of the busy periods, I would recommend sitting in the front train close to the operator. At least if anyone harasses you (which is still pretty unlikely), you'll be within sight of the operator. They also have police officers on the train many times. You should be just fine. Enjoy the ride (if you haven't already)!
Thanks! I have heard different stories from locals. When I mentioned that I wanted to ride the RTA from the Cleveland Clinic area to the airport, many offered to drive me or pay for my taxi ride.(this was around noon on a Tuesday) In the end, one fried refused to let me out of her car and just drove me all the way to the airport. I'm not sure what all the fuss was all about, but they all tell me that people have been robbed/harassed on the RTA to/from the airport. I kept telling them that I used to live in New York City and rode the subways for 8 years.(is Cleveland more dangerous than Bronx? )

Oh well. On my next flight into CLE, I'm just gonna hop on the RTA train and ride to Cleveland Clinic, WITHOUT telling anybody I'm on the train!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:03 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Thanks! I have heard different stories from locals. When I mentioned that I wanted to ride the RTA from the Cleveland Clinic area to the airport, many offered to drive me or pay for my taxi ride.(this was around noon on a Tuesday) In the end, one fried refused to let me out of her car and just drove me all the way to the airport. I'm not sure what all the fuss was all about, but they all tell me that people have been robbed/harassed on the RTA to/from the airport.
When my college student was in high school, we flew to CLE for an interview at Case Western Reserve University for the Pre-Professional Scholars Program in Medicine (successful applicants receive a conditional commitment of admission to the medical school upon graduation with a bachelor’s degree). The university is located near the Cleveland Clinic. We took the RTA in both directions. We experienced no problem whatsoever.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA
As a non-native Clevelander, I've found it's best to be skeptical about much of what people in this area about safety and public transportation. Many of the people in Northeast Ohio have very, very little first hand experience with the Rapid, or with Cleveland for that matter. I ride the red line and several of the bus lines often and the worst I've seen was a guy clipping his fingernails on the train.

I rode from University Circle (near the Clinic) to Terminal Tower (downtown) daily for months and never had any problems whatsoever.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andol469

I rode from University Circle (near the Clinic) to Terminal Tower (downtown) daily for months and never had any problems whatsoever.
the people who advised me against the RTA train from Cleveland Clinic
to the airport are all females in their 20s/30s/40s. I don't know if that's
the reason?

just noticed that you said from the Clinic to downtown... they actually told
me that the ride to downtown was fine, just like you mentioned... what they
didn't like was the segment from downtown to the airport. I'm not a
Clevelander, so I don't know what that part of the tow is like.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 1:19 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by MissyH:19379184
Originally Posted by andol469

the people who advised me against the RTA train from Cleveland Clinic
to the airport are all females in their 20s/30s/40s. I don't know if that's
the reason?

just noticed that you said from the Clinic to downtown... they actually told
me that the ride to downtown was fine, just like you mentioned... what they
didn't like was the segment from downtown to the airport. I'm not a
Clevelander, so I don't know what that part of the tow is like.
I can appreciate that different people have different safety concerns, and what feels "safe" to me may not work for someone else. At the same time, I'd be surprised if the Rapid was less safe than the transit systems in other US cities, like DC, Chicago, etc.

I always take the red line to the airport when I fly, and again, no problems. I'll be on it in a few hours, in fact.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by vortix
The train does go through some lower income neighborhoods, though I wouldn't say they are very dangerous.
This. The view outside isn't all that great, but the train ride itself is safe and efficient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.