Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

4 hr Overlay in Chicago

4 hr Overlay in Chicago

Old Mar 21, 2011, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage; Wyndham Rewards
4 hr Layover in Chicago

Hi. On the 29th of April I'll fly into Chicago at 3:30PM (International Flight). I'm leaving for Miami at 7:40PM. Little over 4 hrs.

I've never been to Chicago and I'd like to go out of the airport, probably just to get something to eat and go back. Not sure how much time I'd have though. I'm traveling on a foreign passport if that helps you get an idea of immigration and customs times etc.

Also, is there any place that I can securely store my carry-on as I venture out or do I just carry it with me?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by nano404; Mar 21, 2011 at 9:33 pm
Old Mar 21, 2011, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My dentist does an overlay in less than 4 hours.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
My dentist does an overlay in less than 4 hours.
Haha, I guess it should be layover. My bad.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by nano404
Hi. On the 29th of April I'll fly into Chicago at 3:30PM (International Flight). I'm leaving for Miami at 7:40PM. Little over 4 hrs.

I've never been to Chicago and I'd like to go out of the airport, probably just to get something to eat and go back. Not sure how much time I'd have though. I'm traveling on a foreign passport if that helps you get an idea of immigration and customs times etc.

Also, is there any place that I can securely store my carry-on as I venture out or do I just carry it with me?

Thanks for the help!
I don't think you have enough time to go to the city, considering immigration, security line, and rush hour traffic.

There are plenty of places to eat near ORD. Nothing I would nominate for a Michelin Guide, but some are not bad, and you can take hotel shuttles to reach most of them.

Harry Caray's (http://www.harrycarays.com/restaurants_rosemont.html) near Sheraton Gateway Suites is a classic Chicago Italian steakhouse. Giordano's (http://www.giordanos.com/) near Marriott Suites serves Chicago-style pizza. There are other options; let us know what you like.

There is a fancy movie theater, if you get in early (https://www.muvico.com/default.asp?t=210) - near Aloft hotel - and it has an Ok restaurant where (I think) you can have your dinner and watch a movie at the same time.

Finally, there are actually full-service dining places inside O'Hare domestic terminals.

Enjoy your brief layover!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Figure at least 40 minutes to get off your flight, clear customs get out of the airport and to any form of transportation. And you want to be back in the airport an hour before your flight. So that leaves you 2.5 hours rather than 4 hours.

In theory you could take a train downtown, walk around for 25 minutes, and take a train back, but that probably wouldn't be too satisfying.

Note that the int'l terminal is T5, you'll have to take the shuttle train to another terminal to catch the train into the city. You can catch a taxi outside T5, lines usually are short, and go to a nearby restaurant. Sweet Willie is the expert here on restaurants in the ORD vicinity. I know there is a Korean one that he's currently big on
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:10 am

I'd say that if you took the train downtown you might have as much as 1 hour to explore. RT will cost $4.50. You could take the train to wicker park and have maybe 1 hour and 15 minutes to explore that neighborhood. Not that much else I can think of within easy access of the blue line train.

IMO, even if the only thing downtown you have time to see is Millenium park it is still worth it. The park is free and the train will be $4.50. Better than spending 4 hours at O'hare.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by legalalien
I don't think you have enough time to go to the city, considering immigration, security line, and rush hour traffic.

There are plenty of places to eat near ORD. Nothing I would nominate for a Michelin Guide, but some are not bad, and you can take hotel shuttles to reach most of them.

Harry Caray's (http://www.harrycarays.com/restaurants_rosemont.html) near Sheraton Gateway Suites is a classic Chicago Italian steakhouse. Giordano's (http://www.giordanos.com/) near Marriott Suites serves Chicago-style pizza. There are other options; let us know what you like.

There is a fancy movie theater, if you get in early (https://www.muvico.com/default.asp?t=210) - near Aloft hotel - and it has an Ok restaurant where (I think) you can have your dinner and watch a movie at the same time.

Finally, there are actually full-service dining places inside O'Hare domestic terminals.

Enjoy your brief layover!
Hey, thanks everyone for the input! Thanks for the details on restaurants legalalien. I assure you that my taste buds are not that discerning, even less so if I have to eat the airline's food.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:08 pm

Honestly, I would not recommend going all the way downtown.

I have run into Chicago a lot, at least a dozen times so far, on layovers anywhere from 3.5 hours to all day. However, I will only do it if I have a minimum of 3.5 hours and then I will only go to Wicker Park. And the only reason I do it under these circumstances is because I know exactly where I am going in ORD to get to the L station and back, I already have my Chicago Card loaded with money for the L, and I know exactly where I am going in Wicker Park (mostly to shop, but I might grab some food to go), i.e. I do not need a map.

If my time whittles down to 3 hours because of unforeseen delays, I just will not do it. I will hang out in a lounge instead. I do not know much about restaurants around the airport, but that would be a much better idea.

BillJ
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Bill. Seems like no downtown for me.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 5:00 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by nano404
Thanks Bill. Seems like no downtown for me.
Sorry about this, but as a student wanting to see the world by taking advantage of connections I too had to learn the airlines number game. The quoted 4 hour is the time between scheduled touchdown and takeoff. In real life, you'd be looking at more like 2 hours. Only enough time to enjoy the airport, I am afraid.

Next time, schedule an "8 hour" connection on a warm sunny day and you'd be in good shape. (For planning purposes, international itineraries are allowed connections up to 24 hours. Longer than that counts as a stop which may affect the price and you may be required to take your luggage with you.)
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
follow up

OP - what did you end up doing? I have a 4 hour layover in July before an international F flight. I have a cousin in town and am thinking about having him just meet me close by. I am curious to hear what you ended up doing. Thanks!
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:00 pm

ORD to Chicago, is it easy?

Have at least 4 hours to burn at ORD before CX desk opens. Thinking of heading to Chicago. Is it easy to get from ORD to Chicago? And where do you recommend I go?
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Have at least 4 hours to burn at ORD before CX desk opens. Thinking of heading to Chicago. Is it easy to get from ORD to Chicago? And where do you recommend I go?
It's super easy. Just hop on the L (go to baggage claim and follow the red arrows for ground transportation, it can kind of get confusing, but anyone should be able to point you in the right direction).

From there it is about 45 minutes if my memory serves me correctly. As for what you should do, I guess that's up to you, are you hungry? Is this your first time to Chicago?
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:15 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the FT Chicago Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yes - go to the lower level (follow trains to city sign). You should budget 45 minutes of ride time not including waiting for the train, etc. to get downtown. If all you have is 4 hours, it's probably not worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.