Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Why is paying for a ride on the CTA so difficult?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is paying for a ride on the CTA so difficult?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ninja138
If you travel to Chicago often, you should go ahead and get a Chicago Card.
I have the Chicago Card Plus that automatically refills from my designated account - at the level I set when I signed up. Very very handy if you ride the CTA fairly often.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
You can use your credit card at the CTA Pass machine that's in the Metra ticket lobby in Union Station. Link here; scroll to the bottom. It's near the baggage claim, opposite of the Metro Deli.

If you travel to Chicago often, you should go ahead and get a Chicago Card.
Thank you for this prompt response. This is my first trip to Chicago as a destination, I usually change planes there or rent a car to go to South Bend.

I also find the CTA's website very confusing, all the different types of cards available make it very difficult for a visitor to sort out. I'll put your information in my notes for the trip. I doubt that I'll travel to downtown CHI again. Thanks again.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dianne47
I also find the CTA's website very confusing, all the different types of cards available make it very difficult for a visitor to sort out.
I kind of agree with you - I buy a card probably once/twice a year, at O'Hare where it's a little simpler, and I still have to take an extra minute or two to figure out what I'm doing.

I'm used to NYC, where there's one type of machine, and everything's on a Metrocard (more or less).
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Dianne47
I've been digging around for about an hour and can't find the answer to my query. If I arrive CHI at Union Station (overnite train from NYC), where can I use a credit card to buy a CTA fare card so I can ride the bus a few times? I plan a 24-hour stop in CHI.

Or should I just bring a roll of quarters and drive everyone nuts dropping 9 of them in the onboard fare box each time?
You can use your credit card at the CTA Pass machine that's in the Metra ticket lobby in Union Station. Link here; scroll to the bottom. It's near the baggage claim, opposite of the Metro Deli.

If there is a CTA pass machine at the union station, I would suggest OP get the 1 day pass instead, as OP mentioned about she is going to use for a few times during the 24 hours period. 1 day pass cost $5.75 for unlimited rides during the 24 hours period instead of morning til evening, cheaper than $2 each time on a transit card on bus or $2.25 on train.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, others including Amtrak Guest Rewards
I'm a semi-frequent visitor to Chicago and always depend on CTA for transportation when staying downtown. Just felt I had to write to say that maybe I've been lucky but have always had hepful and friendly employees. In fact, a couple of years ago one advised us to purchase just one fare card and keep passing it back to our next person while going through the turnstile

Their phone number is on my cell phone and I've always had good and prompt service when trying to find the next bus/train to my destination!

Glad to read here about the credit card machine right in Union Station...!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 1:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I decided to bump my old thread because I'm angry again with the CTA.

I arrived at ORD last Saturday and wanted to buy a fare card with three rides on it (for $7.75). I was armed with a credit card and the only cash in my wallet was a $50. Low and behold, all the machines that accept credit and debit cards were out of order except the machines that sell the 1/3/7 Day Day Passes. Maybe I'm just an overly suspicious person but I smell a rat. Next time, I'm bringing lots of ones.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10

I arrived at ORD last Saturday and wanted to buy a fare card with three rides on it (for $7.75). I was armed with a credit card and the only cash in my wallet was a $50. Low and behold, all the machines that accept credit and debit cards were out of order except the machines that sell the 1/3/7 Day Day Passes. Maybe I'm just an overly suspicious person but I smell a rat. Next time, I'm bringing lots of ones.
I don't think they are that sophisticated. You're giving them way to much credit!

Also starting later this year the CTA is beginning to outsource its fare collection. Hopefully the for profit vendor will do a better job of maintaining the new infrastructure.

It's going to be called Ventra
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:07 pm
glg

Originally Posted by neo_781
It's going to be called Ventra
and they've stated they'll take contactless credit cards
Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:20 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by glg
and they've stated they'll take contactless credit cards
very good
Originally Posted by neo_781
I don't think they are that sophisticated. You're giving them way to much credit!
agreed^
Old Feb 4, 2013, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10

Just for your future reference (or for the reference of anyone else who stumbles upon this thread):

The machines that accept credit cards are called "Express Vending Machines" and they dispense Transit Cards in multiples of $5 only ($5, $10, ..., $25). You could buy a $5 card from the Express Machine and use the cash-only Transit Card machine to add $2.75 to it if you really wanted a card with $7.75 on it.

There are two Express Vending Machines at O'Hare, they are on opposite sides of the wall, so be sure you check both of them. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for both of them to be out of order.

Some good news: The pass vending machines (which are next to the red/orange pillars) now dispense one-day passes. The one-day passes were taken out of the machines when the pass rate went from $5 to $5.75 because the pass machines do not accept coins. Now that they've raised the price of the one-day pass to $10, they are back in the machines.

The pass machines accept credit cards and paper-money. They do not make change. They are often out of order or have signs on them that say "cash only" or "credit cards only."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.