Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fist time on Midwest, what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Fist time on Midwest, what to expect?

Will be taking my first flight on Midwest next week. What would you compare them with? Also, do they have any partner airlines or must all miles be credited to their mileage program?

Thanks
Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Are you flying on a 717, E170 or a CRJ?

Midwest is a great airline. The vast majority of my experiences have been positive. But their product does differ depending on which plane type you are flying on.

They do serve warm cookies if you are in to that kind of thing. The flight attendants are very nice. Midwest is not Virgin America or Jetblue so don't expect TVs or anything like that. But you should enjoy your experience.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Tim34
Are you flying on a 717, E170 or a CRJ?

Midwest is a great airline. The vast majority of my experiences have been positive. But their product does differ depending on which plane type you are flying on.

They do serve warm cookies if you are in to that kind of thing. The flight attendants are very nice. Midwest is not Virgin America or Jetblue so don't expect TVs or anything like that. But you should enjoy your experience.
Tim, you have mellowed over the years. Your assessment of Midwest has become much more objective. Must be the crisp clear waters of the west coast that helped you see the light. Boy, you make me proud.

Yeah, if it's a crj, not much differentiation other than the cookies and easier connections in mke. 717s are decent. e170s are excellent in my view.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:55 pm

Midwest is partnered with Northwest WorldPerks, and flying on Midwest can earn miles (including elite qualifying miles / segments) on Northwest or on Midwest. The program will be expanded to Delta's SkyMiles, but as of this moment if you have a Delta FF membership but not Northwest FF membership, a Midwest flight can't earn Delta miles. That will change soon, but not yet.

If you're on the 717, the regular 2x3 seating is decent and has pretty good legroom. There's also a large section of wide 2x2 seats which can be purchased for an upgrade fee of $20, $35 or $50 per segment.

If you're on the E-170, the seating is comparably comfortable by virtue of the aircraft type. Seating is no different than other airlines E-jets, which means it is notably above average (in the opinion of many)

If you're on the CRJ, you'll find it's no different than other airlines, meaning it is nothing special and increasingly uncomfortable beyond about 1 or 1.5 hours.

Nearly all 717 flights and some of the longest E170 flights have buy-onboard meals, "Best Care Cuisine". It's a better buy-onboard coach meal than most airlines serve, and definitely not the junk food pack box some airlines sell as a meal. On some other E170 and CRJ flights they instead sell Best Care Cafe snack items. Here's the current menu:

http://www.midwestairlines.com/About...e/Cuisine.aspx

The cookies that Tim34 mentioned are on all flights departing after 10:30 am longer than about 60 minutes.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by knope2001
Midwest is partnered with Northwest WorldPerks, and flying on Midwest can earn miles (including elite qualifying miles / segments) on Northwest or on Midwest. The program will be expanded to Delta's SkyMiles, but as of this moment if you have a Delta FF membership but not Northwest FF membership, a Midwest flight can't earn Delta miles. That will change soon, but not yet.
It should be noted, however, that if you have a DL frequent flyer account, you can simply open a NW frequent flyer account, earn miles through NW, link your NW and DL accounts, and transfer the miles between the two. But, knope is right, there is no direct way to earn miles on DL by flying YX (or vice-versa) at the present time.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by tekelberry
It should be noted, however, that if you have a DL frequent flyer account, you can simply open a NW frequent flyer account, earn miles through NW, link your NW and DL accounts, and transfer the miles between the two. But, knope is right, there is no direct way to earn miles on DL by flying YX (or vice-versa) at the present time.
Duh...I didn't think of that!
Old Mar 6, 2009, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by tekelberry
Direct earning of mileage between YX and DL will begin later this year.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/40878042.html
Old Mar 6, 2009, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss

A couple of other things from that story:

(1) The code share between YX and NW will indeed be expanded to YX and DL.

(2) Midwest is moving from the Humphrey to the Lindbergh terminal in about two months. That will make YX to/from DL-NW connections easier.

(3) Midwest's reciprocity with Best Care Club and the former WorldClubs is expanded to include all DL+NW clubs (the new Sky Clubs).

(4) The MKE market share quoted is not correct. The MKE monthly stats are calculated wrong, using the wrong denominator, apparently. If you add up the market share of all airlines it should come to 100% (of course) but it instead comes out to about 81.6%

The real market share for January at MKE
34.3% Midwest
23.7% Delta (with NW)
18.6% AirTran

And on the subject of MKE and January, here's the average onboard load by aircraft type for Midwest:

62.9% 717
52.6% E170
43.7% CRJ

January is invariably the weakest month of the year, and these onboard loads are likewise as bad as they are likely to be all year. In recent years Midwest had a lot of M80's to sun markets which overshadowed weak business markets. These numbers look like Midwest did in the later 90's and early 00's when January was reliably about 50-55% for Midwest and in the 30's for Skyway.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss

The link is dead for me and I can't find the story on JSOnline website.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 8:59 pm

It seems to have been pulled from jsonline. I had e-mailed Tom Daykin that the numbers from the MKE website were wrong, so maybe he got it pulled back to correct it?
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat, Virgin: Silver, Midwest, US Airways: Gold, NW, Lufthansa: Freq Trav
Midwest was a great airline, now it is just like most
Old Mar 8, 2009, 4:42 pm

Midwest is just another airline. Unfortunately, it lost much of its luster in the past few years.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, LH Senator, HH Plat, Priority Club Gold, UA RCC, Global Entry
Originally Posted by RSVP
Midwest is just another airline. Unfortunately, it lost much of its luster in the past few years.
Should say that Midwest is another airline but it is downsizing faster than other airlines. Got to love those regional jets.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info guys. I've suffered through all the rest domestic airlines. It sounds like Midwest may actually be a little better
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by spstx
Thanks for the info guys. I've suffered through all the rest domestic airlines. It sounds like Midwest may actually be a little better
If you're so inclined, please provide us a trip report after your travel. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.