Original Poster

New competitive expansion by AirTran at MKE

Information is starting to trickle out.

New nonstop destionations

Denver
Branson
St Louis
Minneapolis

The website does not yet show the nonstop flights, however you can see at least some of them as part of connections. (Can't book MKE-MSP, but you can book LGA-MKE-MSP for example).

Here's what I find for new stuff so far:

08:15 St Louis
10:15 Branson
11:02 Denver
16:00 Minneapolis
19:25 St Louis

At least so far trying to book other routings (like MCO-MKE-MSP, BWI-MKE-MSP, MSP-MKE-LGA, etc.) I don't find any more frequencies to those new destinations that these...2 to St Louis and 1 to each of the rest.

I have not yet looked to see if frequencies to existing routes like SFO have been increased.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:14 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by knope2001
Information is starting to trickle out.

New nonstop destionations

Denver
Branson
St Louis
Minneapolis

The website does not yet show the nonstop flights, however you can see at least some of them as part of connections. (Can't book MKE-MSP, but you can book LGA-MKE-MSP for example).

Here's what I find for new stuff so far:

08:15 St Louis
10:15 Branson
11:02 Denver
16:00 Minneapolis
19:25 St Louis

At least so far trying to book other routings (like MCO-MKE-MSP, BWI-MKE-MSP, MSP-MKE-LGA, etc.) I don't find any more frequencies to those new destinations that these...2 to St Louis and 1 to each of the rest.

I have not yet looked to see if frequencies to existing routes like SFO have been increased.
Those are horrible. They will all fail. What were they thinking? Why aren't you positing this in Airtran's forum?

How many people in Milwaukee wake up and say that I need to get to Branson?

Why would Airtran compete with Frontier?

Why would Airtran want to take on NWA with it's 5 times a day to MSP.

They need to forget about MKE and find a focus city in the west.

Last edited by Tim34; Feb 10, 2009 at 7:20 am
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:21 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Branson? !!
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Tim34
Those are horrible. They will all fail.
Especially if they are AirTran's traditional seasonal service.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:32 am

I'm sure some of the destinations are based on MKE being viewed as a hub rather than just where would MKE passengers want to fly. I'm sure that's what they are thinking specifically for MSP.

As for Branson, that is a new privately owned airport. That likely could be a route to feed into the other destinations that MKE offers, other than always going through ATL. That airport had a ceremony before opening with an AirTran 717... I'm sure the private funding has something to do with this.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
Branson? !!
Someone seriously needs to be fired over this.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tim34
Why aren't you positing this in Airtran's forum?
I haven't posted anyplace else on Flyertalk because I already spend too much time online. And the pending AirTran expansion was discussed significantly over here already. That being said, I did just copy it over to that forum, where it primarily belongs.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:49 am

Branson? !!
Think about that route the other way around.. Branson - MKE - other destinations.

That would be like us saying that Midwest Connect offering a flight to say Marquette, MI is a stupid idea. No one from MKE is going to fly to the UP. It is the UP customers wanting to fly to the destinations offered at MKE.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by jreuschl
Think about that route the other way around.. Branson - MKE - other destinations.

That would be like us saying that Midwest Connect offering a flight to say Marquette, MI is a stupid idea. No one from MKE is going to fly to the UP. It is the UP customers wanting to fly to the destinations offered at MKE.
But is that enough traffic to fill a mainline plane? Midwest uses rjs. Atlanta is different. Their are more destinations both domestic and international. Also Atlanta is a major business destination. Milwaukee is not.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:57 am

Branson? !!

The next AirTran focus city.

Last edited by RSVP; Feb 10, 2009 at 4:36 pm
Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:01 am

Yeah, I don't have a good feeling about this Milwaukee "secondary hub" thing. I wish that they would do more in the west. It would be nice if they started a focus city in Oakland. Southwest and other airlines have cut back there. I know that the people at Midwest are getting a good laugh out of this right now.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:01 am

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Branson? !!
I think this route might be subsidized in some way. I know there are a lot of bus tours that go to Branson from Wisconsin all summer long. It will be interesting to see how this route performs and how long it will last.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:01 am
Original Poster

More details and modifications

MSP is 3x, not 1x
DEN (1) /STL (2) /Branson (1) are as described earlier

Year-round
ATL
LGA
BWI
MCO
TPA
LAS
BOS (new)
LAX (new)
MSP
STL
BKG (Branson, new)

Seasonal
PHX
RSW (saturday only in offseason)
DEN
SAN
SFO
SEA
FLL
Old Feb 10, 2009, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
I hope it works out for them.

Delta/Northwest/Midwest need lots of competition - in particular that monopoly hub at Minneapolis.

Last edited by hazelrah; Feb 10, 2009 at 6:05 pm
Old Feb 11, 2009, 8:40 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by hazelrah
I hope it works out for them.

Delta/Northwest/Midwest need lots of competition - in particular that monopoly hub at Minneapolis.
I don't disagree on the competition. But, FL is going to have to do more than this to pry the loyal NW/DL/YX business flyers. I am one stop in either MSP/DTW/MEM to just about every market in the country. And with DL it is even easier. No way is a 3 X a day shuttle to MSP connecting to nowhere going to change my--or many business people's--travel habits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.