Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Midwest Airlines Midwest Miles (Pre-Alignment)
Reload this Page >

SI’s Peter King praises Midwest Airlines, Wisconsin hospitality

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS,UA

To bad he didn't take a 717 out of EWR, but still got to like the priase

Enjoyable/Aggravating Travel Note of the Week
It's been a long time since I flew Midwest Airlines. A very long time -- maybe a decade. But a Thursday evening Brandon Jacobs interview in New Jersey (you want to make Brandon Jacobs happy, serve him some nice lasagna, with a touch of nutmeg, believe it or not) forced me to take the last flight of the night from Newark to Milwaukee, then drive 123 miles to Green Bay that night. Let's just say the trip could have been much, much worse.

Even a 48-seat regional jet -- the airline industry's euphemism for "puddle-jumper'' -- was more comfortable and homey than other airlines' smallish planes. Bottled water, pretzels and fresh-baked chocolate-chip cookies (from a mix, obviously), delivered by a legitimately friendly flight attendant, made the 115-minute flight quite tolerable.

The drive? A mainly desolate journey up I-43. It's after midnight on my body clock. I'm tired. I'm speeding. Halfway up the road, around Kohler, I'm doing around 80 (speed limit: 65), and I see the flashing lights in my rearview mirror. Sheboygan County Sheriff car.

"Good evening,'' an officer P. Schaefer said, from outside the right front window. "License and registration, please. Do you know why I stopped you?''

"I was going too fast,'' I said.

"Yeah, I clocked you around 81, 83 mph,'' he said. "You know, we've been fishing a lot of people out of ditches and off the road today because of the strong winds. Those winds can be tricky. I just want you to drive careful, OK? Just slow down. Be safe. I'll be back. I'm just going to give you a warning.''

"Wow,'' I said. "Thanks. That's really nice of you.''

He came back a few minutes later, handed me the written warning, told me to slow down and be safe two more times, and let me go.

At the hotel, the desk clerk told me twice to have a nice night. In the morning, the maid on the floor introduced herself, told me she'd be making up my room, and did I need anything special?

I wonder if all the welcome mats in the United States are manufactured in Wisconsin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.