Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Midwest Airlines Midwest Miles (Pre-Alignment)
Reload this Page >

AirTran Holdings, Inc., Presents New Offer For Midwest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AirTran Holdings, Inc., Presents New Offer For Midwest

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2007, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
Is Pequot on record in saying that they would put all of the cash received in an AirTran buy-out back into AAI stock? If not, this is not a very convincing argument. No one is keeping them from investing in AAI stock.
As I understand it from a quick read of the Pequot letter, they argue that the BOD did not properly account for the future value of the Air Tran stock. In particular that after the successful conclusion of a deal, that the market would reward AAI stock with a "pop" in value.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by tekelberry
According to http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=646916, AirTran only renewed the offer after shareholders requested it. Take that for what it's worth.
I don't believe for one second that Pequot is concerned about jobs in Milwaukee. Please come forward and tell us who besides Pequot is crying crocodile tears over Midwest's all cash sale.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 5:15 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by flyYX
I don't believe for one second that Pequot is concerned about jobs in Milwaukee. Please come forward and tell us who besides Pequot is crying crocodile tears over Midwest's all cash sale.
Pequot owns 8.8% of Midwest shares so they have a significant ownership in the company. Today's market was punishing the value of MEH stock. Apparently the market was having its doubts about the TPG deal going through.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 6:18 pm

Programs: NW: In the back of the bus
Originally Posted by hazelrah
Pequot owns 8.8% of Midwest shares so they have a significant ownership in the company. Today's market was punishing the value of MEH stock. Apparently the market was having its doubts about the TPG deal going through.
Punishing? You call a 4 cent or, 0.29% drop in value today punishing? Especially when the DJIA was off 1.57%, NASDAQ off 1.70%, and S&P off 1.82%? With the relative small drop, me thinks MEH did quite alright.

No matter how Pequot wants to spin it, cash is more attractive than cash + stock in this market. With the present volatility in the broader market, the DJIA is off some 7% since July 19th for example, and the credit markets have all but gone dry except for the most qualified, cash is king. The BODs would be allowing a large amount of risk if they accepted the Airtran deal over the TPG/NW offer. Now, that risk COULD be very lucrative down the line, but that's not the present YX BOD's concern. They are to maximize the PRESENT sale value of their company, not what someone thinks it will be worth on "X" day in the future when rolled into another company.

All this being said, I see TPG and NW matching the $16.25 offer, which would add about $6,180,000 to what they offered on Sunday and the sale being completed tomorrow.

I see the only way Airtran wins this is if they bring ALL cash to the table. Then, it would get interesting. Man, gotta love the drama!

Last edited by JTMSP; Aug 14, 2007 at 6:36 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Aug 14, 2007, 6:39 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by sxf24
The future value of stock is also higher than cash.

Having bought YX AT 16 7/8, I'm not so sure.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

More info from a.net. I can't confirm the quotes myself, I don't know the poster's source.

"Pequot is Midwest Air's only institutional investor that has raised concerns about TPG Capital's bid, Carol Skornicka, senior vice president of corporate affairs said this morning.

"We've been hearing from other hedge funds who are saying, 'Congratulations, this is great,'" she said.

Skornicka said the issues raised by Pequot were considered by Midwest Air's board before it voted to pursue a sale agreement with TPG Capital. The board decided the TPG Capital's bid provided more certainty and value than AirTran's offer, citing the fact that it's all cash.

Skornicka also said antitrust concerns raised by Leonard are not expected to prevent a sale to TPG Capital from gaining approval from the U.S. Department of Justice, which routinely reviews airline mergers."
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:23 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
More info from a.net. I can't confirm the quotes myself, I don't know the poster's source.

"Pequot is Midwest Air's only institutional investor that has raised concerns about TPG Capital's bid, Carol Skornicka, senior vice president of corporate affairs said this morning.

"We've been hearing from other hedge funds who are saying, 'Congratulations, this is great,'" she said.

Skornicka said the issues raised by Pequot were considered by Midwest Air's board before it voted to pursue a sale agreement with TPG Capital. The board decided the TPG Capital's bid provided more certainty and value than AirTran's offer, citing the fact that it's all cash.

Skornicka also said antitrust concerns raised by Leonard are not expected to prevent a sale to TPG Capital from gaining approval from the U.S. Department of Justice, which routinely reviews airline mergers."
Thanks for the update flyxy ^ but that is old news. They made that statement before the new offer.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:23 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus

Thanks for the update flyxy ^ but that is old news. They made that statement before the new offer.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

I just got a news update from Yahoo titled "Midwest Set to Accept Bid". My first thought was AirTran won the bid... But it is just a story on the WSJ about the TPG bid. They don't even mention the increased offer from AirTran. Seems odd to me, they wouldn't update the story a bit before posting.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

10 O'clock news here on the local NBC TV station has indicated AirTran maybe willing to even go higher if TPG and friends counter their offer. I was all ready to give this merger talk a rest and discuss new aircraft orders and new destinations from MKE. Eventhough the merger discussions have been heated here at times, it was still good to talk about it. At any rate, whichever way this ends up I will be eager to move on. Now I know why Carol wants to retire.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:07 pm

Programs: none (RIP AirTran)
Now I know why Carol wants to retire.
Dude, I would absolutely loved to be on the inside here...you know it's got to be intense, especially on the AirTran side.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by JTMSP
Punishing? You call a 4 cent or, 0.29% drop in value today punishing? Especially when the DJIA was off 1.57%, NASDAQ off 1.70%, and S&P off 1.82%? With the relative small drop, me thinks MEH did quite alright.
Yes, punished. With a tender offer out there at $16.00/share and for the market price to hover in the high 13s was idicative of disbelief in the deal.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:05 am

duplicate post *deleted*

Last edited by hazelrah; Aug 15, 2007 at 5:07 am Reason: duplicate post
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CitrusMCO
Dude, I would absolutely loved to be on the inside here...you know it's got to be intense, especially on the AirTran side.
Why do you think she is going to stay to see the process through? I agree with you, I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to all the conversations on both sides. I am sure Joe Leonard has let some F bombs fly.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hazelrah
Yes, punished. With a tender offer out there at $16.00/share and for the market price to hover in the high 13s was idicative of disbelief in the deal.
I tend to agree with hazelrah's assessment. If the stock market loved this merger with TPG, MEH stock would have gone up these last two days. Watch MEH stock today. After hours trading has indicated MEH will go up significantly. Speculators like AirTran's offer better than TPG's. I suspect they believe there will be anti trust issues. You know AirTran is going to push the anti trust issue before the DoJ in the coming months. Also some investors are putting up a stink because they will have to pay taxes on short term capital gains with the TPG all cash offer. I have no sympathy for them, but these are large investors and they can influence shareholders to reject the TPG offer.

Last edited by flyYX; Aug 15, 2007 at 5:23 am Reason: added another comment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.