Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation...what will MKE look like in a year?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
If the One World relationship materializes, I wouldn't fall over in shock if American launched MKE-LHR service with 757s. They're looking at adding flights to places like BDL, DTW, and CHM with 757s. There's no reason to think MKE couldn't work, especially with feed from One World partners on both ends.
If this does happen, do you think AA will move to concourse D?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Frontier EarlyReturns Summit
Originally Posted by flyYX
In that scenario that would probably happen (just swap AA and WN). I wonder if they do partner w/ AA if they would start a MKE-ORD shuttle (I know AA has one already sort of). As a purely hypothetical extension to this, could F9 get a small fleet of A330s to do long haul routes out of MKE/DEN to alliance hubs? I don't know enough about the mechanical issues between the A320s vs A330s if they share enough parts where a small fleet wouldn't be overly expensive.

If they do start more international service from MKE I would expect them to push for the airport to add a customs area in concourse D so they can route passengers more efficiently. Or they may just fly to airports with pre-clearance facilities.

I wonder if passenger numbers continue to increase if it'll be time to pull out the plans for concourse F?

Last edited by MikeFromMKE; Apr 16, 2010 at 8:43 am
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by MikeFromMKE
I wonder if passenger numbers continue to increase if it'll be time to pull out the plans for concourse F?
I think Milwaukee County would need some sort of a long term lease commitment from some airline in order to start construction of a new concourse. I'm not entirely sure how that all works.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:26 am

I think Milwaukee County would need some sort of a long term lease commitment from some airline in order to start construction of a new concourse. I'm not entirely sure how that all works.
At the very least, the airport would have to make a judgment call based on the amount of traffic we expect to have over the long-term. Right now, there are absolutely no assurances that the record traffic will continue beyond this year. It certainly could, but I think we would need to see several years of sustained growth before that type of decision is made.

MKE does not want to repeat what happened in PIT, where US largely pulled out less than ten years after a completely new terminal opened. Nothing of that scale would be done in MKE, but you still have to make sure that it will be necessary years down the road.

It's a good position to be in, though. On Tuesday, Bedford said cities like Pittsburgh, Indianapolis and Cincinnati would love to have this kind of problem.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromMKE
In that scenario that would probably happen (just swap AA and WN). I wonder if they do partner w/ AA if they would start a MKE-ORD shuttle (I know AA has one already sort of). As a purely hypothetical extension to this, could F9 get a small fleet of A330s to do long haul routes out of MKE/DEN to alliance hubs? I don't know enough about the mechanical issues between the A320s vs A330s if they share enough parts where a small fleet wouldn't be overly expensive.

If they do start more international service from MKE I would expect them to push for the airport to add a customs area in concourse D so they can route passengers more efficiently. Or they may just fly to airports with pre-clearance facilities.

The logical way would be to do a phoney code-share with a European airline (ala UA/EI Washington DC to Spain)
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:12 pm

Wouldn't circumstances change for all carriers if oil prices surge, industry consolidation occurs, or some other type of economic calamity happens? Why would it just be Republic that suffers?

Obviously, Republic has a lot on its plate and it will be interesting to see how well they mange these challenges going forward.
If we're talking about oil prices surging, IMO Republic as a whole would not suffer compared to everyone else but I think specifically the MKE hub would. The ER3 and ER4 are obviously not stellar performers with $100+ oil and neither is the E70, just ask F9. The ER3, ER4, and E70 will make up 80 of YX/F9's 101 MKE flights this summer. If they are not well hedged, oil could really hurt MKE's economics for them versus FL who I know is well hedged going forward.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:17 pm

Getting back to the topic at hand, here are some of my thoughts on what will happen in Milwaukee during the coming year.
Blue, any thoughts on MKE-SNA E190 nonstop? I really enjoyed that YX route, even though it involved a connection or stop at MCI.

A great alternative to LAX.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier
Getting back to the topic at hand, here are some of my thoughts on what will happen in Milwaukee during the coming year.

I suspect that things will remain pretty status quo through the summer and into fall. Part of the reason is that the fleet is already stretched pretty thin so it would be difficult to add much more at the present time. Plus, a significant amount of capacity has been added back to Milwaukee and we'll have to wait and see how well the airlines do filling seats and what kind of yields they get. I do expect that Mitchell will continue to set passenger records this summer.

Bedford did say in one of his recent weekly messages to employees that if the summer schedule goes well that some new service will be added for the fall and winter, including international flying. For MKE, I suspect that this will include Mexico and possibly the Caribbean. If Frontier were to announce any warm weather resort flying, I suspect that they will team up with someone like Fun Jet to help fill seats through the sale of package deals. These flights would probably only operate a few times a week.

As for next summer, that's still a long ways off but if the economy has improved and the competitive situation in MKE has stabilized, I can see the following additions being added:

1) ANC. I believe this route is definitely viable during the summer months if it operates less than daily (maybe 5x per week) and is tied-in with a vacation partner.

2) BDL. Not sure why this hasn't come back yet.

3) IAH

4) SAT

5) ABQ

6) GSO. Republic could tap into a nice stream of local traffic plus route crews through the network.

If the One World relationship materializes, I wouldn't fall over in shock if American launched MKE-LHR service with 757s. They're looking at adding flights to places like BDL, DTW, and CHM with 757s. There's no reason to think MKE couldn't work, especially with feed from One World partners on both ends.
While specualtion like this is fun, is there really a market for serive to places like ANC, ABQ and GSO from MKE? I also saw another response that suggested F9 acquiring a "small fleet of A330s." Want to talk about labor costs spiking?!

ATA used to run service to Gatwick (I'm probably incorrect on the specific airport) from MKE during the summer. Setting aside the notion that MKE can support TATL service, a 757 doesn't have the range to consistently make Europe, especially the return during winter.

Increased fuel prices will affect all airlines, but some are in better financial shape than others to weather such challenges. I'm not saying RAH is in trouble (yet), but they have to play very, very smart.

Won't it be something if/when F9 starts code-sharing with a major airline... The YX debacle all over again...
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HH diamond, Midwest Miles (RIP), NWA WP (RIP)
So can't say that I've really got any real predictions, but when I heard the decision, my gut reaction was that we'd see F9/YX ultimately pull down in MKE.

Doesn't fit with the growth that RAH has done with YX thus far, but just my gut reaction.

Either way, my name is almost completely dead...never saw that coming when I registered. At least MKE should stay around for a while
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pigeye01
While specualtion like this is fun, is there really a market for serive to places like ANC, ABQ and GSO from MKE? I also saw another response that suggested F9 acquiring a "small fleet of A330s." Want to talk about labor costs spiking?!
Actually, I was somewhat surprised to see how much traffic there was from MKE to ABQ and GSO.

ABQ could work well with 1x daily service on an E170 if it is timed right for connections. Plus, the addition of non-stop service would stimulate the market some more and capture some of the traffic that goes to ORD/MDW for flights. I actually think if Frontier doesn't jump on this AirTran may very well start service within the next year or so and do quite well.

GSO would be better served with an E145. There's a small (but decent) stream of local, higher fare traffic that Frontier could tap into. Believe it or not, MKE generates more traffic to GSO than places like RIC, CVG, or MEM. I'm not saying the route will launch put it certainly has some potential (on paper at least).

The only way ANC could work is if it's flown during the peak summer period and is connected with cruise packages sold by travel agencies. It would also have to be timed to connect with key Frontier cities in the MidWest and East Coast. If the flight is sold on it's own it will be a disaster.

As for TATL service, MKE-LHR is well within the range of a 757. That's pretty much the only European destination that could work with that type of aircraft. Several years ago Northwest looked at MKE-AMS flights. They claimed demand was there to justify 757 service but the aircraft didn't have the range to fly the route non-stop. Serving it with an A330 would have been over-kill. Thankfully, Bedford has stated that Republic has no plans to offer TATL or TPAC service anytime soon. That would be a disaster in the making if they attempted to acquire wide-body jets to fly international routes.

Last edited by BlueHorseShoe2000; Apr 16, 2010 at 5:50 pm
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RSVP
Blue, any thoughts on MKE-SNA E190 nonstop? I really enjoyed that YX route, even though it involved a connection or stop at MCI.

A great alternative to LAX.
It might be viable with an E190 but I certainly don't think the route is on the top of Republic's list. If they can't keep SEA, SFO, or SAN year-round SNA certainly won't be started.

When YX ran MCI-SNA, it didn't do all that well. Part of the reason had to do with poor connections to/from MKE. YX did some surveys with frequent travelers on the route. Most preferred LAX but went to SNA simply because YX flew non-stop from MCI or flights were operated with Signature Service 717s. That's one of the reasons why YX started MCI-LAX instead.

MCI-SNA probably would have done much better (load and yield wise) if it was flown 1x daily. However, when SNA gave Midwest slots it required two round trips (they did let Midwest drop to 1x daily during the winter of 2004 with the stipulation the route either return to 2x daily by May 2005 or be discontinued. The route ended April 30, 2005 and MCI-LAX started the next day).

I'd like to see Frontier reinstate MCI-SNA but I doubt that will happen.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:22 pm

It might be viable with an E190 but I certainly don't think the route is on the top of Republic's list. If they can't keep SEA, SFO, or SAN year-round SNA certainly won't be started.
I'd settle for seasonal service, then do LAX the other times of the year.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Most likely. Not only would this facilitate connections from Frontier flights, but passengers would also have access to the Best Care Lounge as well.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
There has been several mentions of a possible OneWorld relationship since the DL deal was cancelled, but is it any more than speculation on FT? Or has there been actual concrete mention of this possibility by F9?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: Midwest Miles, Early Returns
I'm hoping in a year (or less) we are attending a huge YX sale of old signs, papers, stationary, what-have-you with the Midwest logo (FTers get first dibs of course). I hope they don't just throw all that stuff out, I'd like the opportunity to purchase some of it! Still basking in the glow of the seat sale...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.