Wiki Posts
Search

Delta/Midwest partnership ends June 7, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2010, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
Anyway, here's my off the wall prediction
Allow me to take your prediction a lot further.

Picture this....

On April 13th, executives and employees from Republic along with assorted members of the media and various dignitaries gather at the Midwest Airlines Hangar in Milwaukee for the official unveiling of the new brand.

There is noticeable excitement in the room as everyone mingles, enjoys all of the free food/alcohol, and reminisces about the glory days of both Midwest and Frontier.

Finally, the long anticipated moment arrives. The doors to the hangar slowly open and an aircraft begins to appear. There is noticeable gasping from the members of the audience as the plane comes into full view. Something is very, very wrong.

The Airbus A320 is painted in the AirTran livery but has a badger on the tail. Bryan Bedford is waving to the stunned crowd from one side of the cockpit windows; Bob Forano is doing the same from the other.

Both executives quickly emerge from the plane and rush to the podium. As the crowd goes silent, Bedford announces that AirTran has acquired Republic and will fold the branded operations under the AirTran banner. All aircraft will have animals on the tails. Chocolate chip cookies will be served on all flights.

The animals and cookies have been saved. AirTran finally gets its northern hub in MKE virtually uncontested. New headaches emerge for United and Southwest in Denver. Delta doesn't know what to do at this point.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by mke9499

Perhaps MostlyAir can advise.
What Mostly Air knows and what Mostly Air is willing to talk about are two different things.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
Yes, there are holes in my scenario. It's possible that the C-series could be used for long-haul DEN flying to eventually replace the Airbus aircraft, which could be sold or otherwise retired. The C-series can carry comparable loads with a lot less fuel burn.

Certainly both YX and FL are trying to determine ways to stop the bleeding and more dominate the MKE market. Midwest could remain to feed FL in MKE and F9 in DEN, and codeshare between the three carriers.

Again, these are all far-out guesses in my own head. I could be way off base. But stranger things have happened. Just look at how YX and F9 got to where they are today!
It would not suprise me one bit that FL decides the C-series is the replace aircraft for their current fleet of B717's.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Well, Well, Well - it's great to be right

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwe...onference.html

My Post #27 1 1/2 months ago -

Originally Posted by hazelrah
Interesting article flyYX, thanks for posting. It does include some intriguing discussion about the future of the code shares Delta/Midwest, Frontier/Air Tran.

It never occured to me that one possibility would be for Republic to dump the Delta codeshare in favor of the Air Tran code share.

Now an expanded Air Tran/Frontier/Midwest/Republic codeshare, that could be a powerful combination. Peachtree avenue would p** its pants.
One can spout all the most meaningless facts and statistics one wants about Midwest, but in the end we see old Hazelrah was right
Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
Allow me to take your prediction a lot further.

Picture this....

On April 13th, executives and employees from Republic along with assorted members of the media and various dignitaries gather at the Midwest Airlines Hangar in Milwaukee for the official unveiling of the new brand.

There is noticeable excitement in the room as everyone mingles, enjoys all of the free food/alcohol, and reminisces about the glory days of both Midwest and Frontier.

Finally, the long anticipated moment arrives. The doors to the hangar slowly open and an aircraft begins to appear. There is noticeable gasping from the members of the audience as the plane comes into full view. Something is very, very wrong.

The Airbus A320 is painted in the AirTran livery but has a badger on the tail. Bryan Bedford is waving to the stunned crowd from one side of the cockpit windows; Bob Forano is doing the same from the other.

Both executives quickly emerge from the plane and rush to the podium. As the crowd goes silent, Bedford announces that AirTran has acquired Republic and will fold the branded operations under the AirTran banner. All aircraft will have animals on the tails. Chocolate chip cookies will be served on all flights.

The animals and cookies have been saved. AirTran finally gets its northern hub in MKE virtually uncontested. New headaches emerge for United and Southwest in Denver. Delta doesn't know what to do at this point.
I have to admit, I can see this happening... I didn't want to put my neck on the line but Republic having something like a 49% ownership in branded flying with Airtan at 51% probably would make sense.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hazelrah
Well, Well, Well - it's great to be right
With all due respect, none of us know if Republic will enter into a codeshare agreement with AirTran.

Bryan Bedford could have something entirely different up his sleeve. He has talked extensively about joining an alliance.

An established alliance brings some enormous benefits that AirTran simply can't deliver (the ability to earn/redeem miles on partner carriers, lounge access, access to a global route network, etc.).

Republic could always have a codeshare with AirTran and join an alliance as a regional member.

I guess we'll find out what the plan is in the coming weeks.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 7:28 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
I have a need for a surgical screenings in SDF and called DL to burn some miles. Nothing in the YX inventory was showing online and the same was true for their computers. I was told there was no relationship with YX. After ten minutes on hold, I'm going to SDF in a week on YX with DL miles. Hmmmmm.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Accor Live Limitless Diamond
Thumbs down See ya!

Ouch! That will really eliminate my partner and me as Midwest passengers. We are MSN-based DL GM, and decide for each trip between DL out of MSN or YX/YX* out of MKE. We never consider the other carriers. Without a DL FF agreement, forget it. I hope BB knows what he's doing, b/c there is a lot of YX/DL cross-loyalty in Wisconsin, esp among business travelers. Then again, maybe he's made the decision to go after the leisure travelers.

Either way, it won't matter to me much anymore how Midwest (or whatever brand it is) does.

We have a single MSN-LGA nonstop on DL*. Could we possibly see some DL* flights to the East Coast out of MKE in the future, esp as the DL LGA hub beefs up?
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:16 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Frontier EarlyReturns Summit
What if this is just the sign that Midwest Miles program will be ending around June when Frontier and Midwest combine frequent flyer programs? We know that this is going to happen and it is entirely probable that they may not name the combined program Midwest Miles or Early Returns. Delta may have just jumped the gun in "ending" the partnership with "Midwest Miles" and they will begin a partnership with the new program.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:17 pm

I've heard a rumor that the cookies and direct tv are out, but I find that hard to believe. There is so much coming out of the rumor mill we are better off just waiting until April 13
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:47 am

Programs: UA Premier
Originally Posted by flyYX
I have to admit, I can see this happening... I didn't want to put my neck on the line but Republic having something like a 49% ownership in branded flying with Airtan at 51% probably would make sense.
I doubt the anticipated "announcement" has anything to do with increased customer service or rebranding (he's had almost two years to develop a brand but can't commit-something else is going on). It's all about money. Selling the YX operation to FL relieves BB of integrating YX crews (bump and flush costs) and gives FL what they wanted all along... YX's MKE infrastructure. A subsequent partnership, FL in the east, F9 in the west, makes sense.

I don't think BB really ever anticipated acquiring both YX and F9. He acted quickly without thinking through the tertiary consequences. Dumping one brand allows BB to focus on developing the other. YX integration would begin again with FL negotiations, but I anticipate being much smoother since FL is hiring and merged YX crews (mostly captains) are already typed in FL's primary aircraft.

BB is in over his head. Dumping YX is the easy way out, allowing him to discard a brand he had plans for, but ruined. This scenario also allows FL to truly become MKE's new hometown airline, YX crews and all...
Old Mar 27, 2010, 6:22 am

Picture this....

Blue, is any of your scenario based on information you have heard from employees of any of the concerned parties, or merely your own speculation? We know that you have a couple of pipelines.

No matter what happens, the FL annual shareholders' meeting, which, by the way, will be held in May in Milwaukee, should be very interesting.

I believe that the FF agreement between YX and DL allows for award travel on the partner carrier booked by the June 2010 cut-off date, for travel completed within one year of the booking date.

Last edited by mke9499; Mar 27, 2010 at 6:56 am
Old Mar 27, 2010, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mke9499
Blue, is any of your scenario based on information you have heard from employees of any of the concerned parties, or merely your own speculation? We know that you have a couple of pipelines.

No matter what happens, the FL annual shareholders' meeting, which, by the way, will be held in May in Milwaukee, should be very interesting..
The scenario I made up about AirTran buying Republic was meant to be a joke and nothing more. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I have been told (which has also been confirmed by Republic in the media) that the new brand will be announced on April 13th. Apparently this includes the introduction of a single name.

As for AirTran's annual meeting, I'm sure they'll try and generate some news but I wouldn't expect fireworks. Annual meetings are generally very boring affairs.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 7:29 am

The scenario I made up about AirTran buying Republic was meant to be a joke and nothing more. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I have been told (which has also been confirmed by Republic in the media) that the new brand will be announced on April 13th. Apparently this includes the introduction of a single name.

As for AirTran's annual meeting, I'm sure they'll try and generate some news but I wouldn't expect fireworks. Annual meetings are generally very boring affairs.
I did realize that there was a lot of tongue-in-cheek, but, when reading posts by others, maybe a bit of foretelling, as well. Perhaps the FF partnership with FL will be expanded.

The dissolution of the partnership with DL is not proving to be very popular, at least until information about a new partnership (hopefully,there is one in the works) is released, maybe as part of the April announcement.

With the new maintenance base and reservation center at MKE, I don't think that this is a short-term commitment for Republic.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromMKE
What if this is just the sign that Midwest Miles program will be ending around June when Frontier and Midwest combine frequent flyer programs? We know that this is going to happen and it is entirely probable that they may not name the combined program Midwest Miles or Early Returns. Delta may have just jumped the gun in "ending" the partnership with "Midwest Miles" and they will begin a partnership with the new program.
All signs indicate the Delta partnership is dead.

According to some employees, Bedford stated at a recent town hall meeting that Delta was willing to expand the codeshare and frequent flier agreement as long as the Frontier route structure was excluded. Bedford rightly told Delta that they had to accept all or nothing. Apparently, Delta walked.

As further evidence that there will be no expanded partnership, Delta has excluded employee travel perks on both Midwest and Frontier.

I don't see Frontier as a threat, but Delta seems to feel differently. There has been a lot of bad blood between the two airlines over the years and Delta continues to hold a grudge. It's no easy to forgive and forget in the airline business.

There are other options available to Republic and I wonder what, if anything, they will unveil.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.