Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest MKE T100's for November

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Southwest MKE T100's for November

I haven't gotten through the T100 work for Midwest and AirTran yet for November, but thought it might be interesting to post the Southwest results. Probably surprising in some regards.

Onboard loads for Southwest in Milwaukee for November, the first month of service.

50.4% ….. Baltimore
84.3% ….. Las Vegas
63.6% ….. Kansas City
62.2% ….. Orlando
94.7% ….. Phoenix
67.2% ….. Tampa

The weakness of Florida and the relative strength of Kansas City are the most unexpected to me. Orlando was 2x/day, and the evening MKE-MCO carried a lot of open capacity from what I've heard. In a situation with overcapacity, there's not much need for people to book less-desirable flight times when there are cheap flights open at good times.

In November, Southwest had some deliberate 1-stop markets tagged onto nonstop flights.

MKE-LAX two 1-stop flights via PHX and LAS
8.4 MKE-LAX thru passengers per flight

MKE-DAL two 1-stop flights via MCI
18.7 MKE-DAL thru passengers per flight

MKE-RSW one 1-stop flight via MCO
11 MKE-RSW thru passengers per flight

MKE-FLL one 1-stop flight via TPA
16.3 MKE-FLL thru passengers per flight

With 137-seat planes, every 4 passengers equals about 3 points in load factor. So those 16.3 thru passengers on MKE-TPA-FLL boosted the MKE-TPA load factor about by 12 points (16/4 = 4, 4*3=12). The relatively strong results to/from Kansas City owe quite a bit to Dallas passengers, it would seem.

This is just the first month, of course, although this was also the period with those $35 kickoff fares and other introductary $49-$99 fare sales.

For what it's worth, Southwest's systemwide load factor for the month was 76.5%.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:45 pm

I've been on Kansas City to Albuquerque flights each month, once since November, and each time, 4 flights now, there were Milwaukee passengers aboard on their way to Albuquerque.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:08 pm

Programs: AS,UA
When the MCI-MKE was announced, Southwest did tons of advertising in KC, i would see ads for that route offered at 49 each way just about every other commercial. There were also tons of ads on the sides of buses and things like that. People even at work mentioned about visiting Milwaukee because of those fares and a new nonstop, even though Midwest has been flying to Milwaukee for over 15 years now. I guess advertising really does work.

I think KC is very loyal to Southwest and has been in KC for many years now.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I believe the load factor is doing pretty good numerous of the months. It will have eventually to added more specific new routes from MKE-FLL/DEN/LAX/BOS/PHL nonstop. If necessary, WN will have more potential new routes from MKE. Right now, this is only for a limited routes in MKE.

Could be possibility WN will have to be consider to added more specific new routes MKE-MSY/STL/HOU/BNA/BHM/BOS and few others, too. I could see the logical choice WN will have more potential new specific routes in the future. However, I would definitely if MKE will continuation to get more capacity growth in the future. It will be guaranteed WN will have enough the profitability routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.