Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oops, I forgot to mention!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K MM, LH Senator, HH Plat, Priority Club Gold, UA RCC, Global Entry
Oops, I forgot to mention!!!

Story on TMJ4:

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Transportation authorities say a passenger inadvertently carried shotgun shells onto a plane at Milwaukee's airport.

The Transportation Security Administration said in a statement that the passenger boarded a Republic Airlines flight to Dallas around 8 a.m.

Another passenger, Doug Bell, of Hales Corner, Wis., says as the plane was getting ready for departure on Monday, the pilot came on the intercom and said the plane had to return to the gate because a passenger had told a flight attendant he had the shells in his carryon bag.

Bell says the man got off the plane and TSA agents searched the storage compartment above his seat.

The TSA statement says agents turned the ammunition over to local police. The man was rescreened and allowed back on the plane.

So my first question is how did this get missed by TSA?
Second question, what type of passenger forgets he has this - a pretty dumb one
Third question - why would they let him back on the flight?

Last edited by MKE 1K; Jan 11, 2010 at 2:00 pm Reason: Title error
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:03 pm

4th - Why wouldn't he just continue on with his flight instead of exposing what was in his bag? Chances are very likely that he could have continued on to his destination without any issues.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:07 pm
bpz

Location: Milwaukee, WI The views I express here are not necessarily supported by Republic Airways Holdings, Midwest Airlines or its codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions.
it was admirable he said something. and why not let him back on the plane as long as he doesn't pose any security issues without the shells.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
4th - Why wouldn't he just continue on with his flight instead of exposing what was in his bag? Chances are very likely that he could have continued on to his destination without any issues.
I'm guessing that he didn't want to be that person that was caught with shotgun shells in his bag. Then he would really be in trouble!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:19 pm

1. TSA misses stuff every once in a while. They are humman.

2. He could of gone hunting for a few days and packed ammo in his bag and gorgot to take it out. Not dumb just forgot.

3. Because if he willing gives it all up why not? It was a mistake that anyone could of made and if anything TSA should be getting these questions. He is obviously not a terrorist if he points it out to the flight attendant.

Edited:--------------------------------
4. Because he must of been scared even though chances are after security they would not found out.
----------------------------------------
They handled it the right way and I would not have a problem with that guy coming back on the same plane as me.

I don't represent Midwest Airlines in anyway at all.

Last edited by Fly Midex; Jan 11, 2010 at 2:52 pm
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Midwest Airlines
They handled it the right way and I would not have a problem with that guy coming back on the same plane as me.
I wouldn't have a security problem, but I would be upset that his forgetfulness/stupidity caused my flight to be delayed.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K MM, LH Senator, HH Plat, Priority Club Gold, UA RCC, Global Entry
1. TSA misses stuff every once in a while. They are humman..
That is absolutely 100% garbage!!. Where were the TSA people from Nigeria? Everyone on FT knows that the number 1 thing about flying needs to be safety. I do not care if it realtes to TSA screening or aircraft maint. - the first priority is safety. What would have happened if it turned out that this guy was some nut job intent on doing something horrible. Then everyone would be asking for heads to roll (unless you work in the Obama administration).

The fact of the matter is that while the guy realized his mistake which I give him credit for, this should NEVER have happened in the first place. There are reasons that prohibited items are on a list - so that they they stay out of an aircraft.

I am so sick and tired of seeing five year olds have secondary screening, 85 yr old women being put through the ringer trying to get on a plane or better yet, some TSA guys high fiving the fact that they caught a teenager trying to get through with a tube of hair gel it makes me sick. And yet the operators of the xray equipment miss this. Human or not, they screwed up big time here. Simply unacceptable.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by MKE 1K
That is absolutely 100% garbage!!. Where were the TSA people from Nigeria? Everyone on FT knows that the number 1 thing about flying needs to be safety. I do not care if it realtes to TSA screening or aircraft maint. - the first priority is safety. What would have happened if it turned out that this guy was some nut job intent on doing something horrible. Then everyone would be asking for heads to roll (unless you work in the Obama administration).

The fact of the matter is that while the guy realized his mistake which I give him credit for, this should NEVER have happened in the first place. There are reasons that prohibited items are on a list - so that they they stay out of an aircraft.

I am so sick and tired of seeing five year olds have secondary screening, 85 yr old women being put through the ringer trying to get on a plane or better yet, some TSA guys high fiving the fact that they caught a teenager trying to get through with a tube of hair gel it makes me sick. And yet the operators of the xray equipment miss this. Human or not, they screwed up big time here. Simply unacceptable.

It happens like it said they are human like everyone else. Adding more security will not help at all.

I don't represent Midwest Airlines in anyway.

Last edited by Fly Midex; Jan 11, 2010 at 3:10 pm
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:03 pm

WTMJ4 reports the passenger was a licensed gun dealer, who apparently forgot what was in his carry on.

Perhaps, he didn't want to risk losing his FFL.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
1. TSA misses stuff every once in a while. They are humman.
With all the effort going into aviation security it is inexcusable. There is zero tolerance with this, and being human or not doesn't matter. Slippery slope arguments are my least favourite, but here we go. What if they missed something else, say like a box cutter, or plastic explosives.

A few shells can do some serious damage to the plane, and potentially start a fire, which is clearly bad.

I do agree once the items were surrendered there was no reason to keep him from his flight.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:25 pm

I shoot every weekend.. and load all types of ammunition (including shotgun) at home...

I would be fascinated to hear HOW shotgun cartridges (sans shotgun!) are going to:

"do some serious damage to the plane"

Please, please don't tell me you actually think a cartridge by itself will "go off" and project the shot as if it was contained in a chamber/barrel....

IF you manage to pop the primer and ignite any of the powder, the pressure will release in the direction of least resistance.... and the hull will split open... thus immediately dropping whatever pressure was able to build and most likely preventing the rest of the propellant from burning...

Start a fire with them? Maybe... but you'd need to have also smuggled aboard something capable of cutting open the shell (ever tried that? Ain't easy!)

Wouldn't it be easier - if you boarded INTENDING to start a fire.. to take a lighter or some matches on?

I can understand lougord99's view of being delayed... but a "safety problem"? Not hardly..

Sounds like everyone looked at him like this..... and got on with it.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
With all the effort going into aviation security it is inexcusable. There is zero tolerance with this, and being human or not doesn't matter. Slippery slope arguments are my least favourite, but here we go. What if they missed something else, say like a box cutter, or plastic explosives.

A few shells can do some serious damage to the plane, and potentially start a fire, which is clearly bad.

I do agree once the items were surrendered there was no reason to keep him from his flight.
All that effort is useless. Any ramper or employee for that matter that works at the flight line can bypass security all together.

I don't represent Midwest Airlines in any way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.