Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YX Further Expands Codeshare with F9

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2009, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

YX Further Expands Codeshare with F9

Milwaukee, Dec. 21, 2009 – Midwest Airlines said today that it is further expanding its codeshare program with Frontier Airlines to include Kansas City service and connecting itineraries.

Midwest customers can now purchase tickets under the Midwest "YX" code for travel beginning Feb. 16, 2010 on Frontier's nonstop flights between Kansas City and Denver. Similarly, Frontier's "F9" code has been placed on eight nonstop Midwest destinations out of Kansas City. Additionally, effective immediately, Midwest and Frontier customers can book connecting codeshare itineraries through Denver, Kansas City and Milwaukee.

In the coming months, Frontier's international routes will also be added to the codeshare, as will double-connect itineraries. At that time, customers of both airlines will have full access to the combined Midwest and Frontier route networks.

For flight information and reservations, visit midwestairlines.com, call the Midwest Airlines Contact Center at 800-452-2022 or contact a travel consultant.

"Our customers have told us that their top priority is flexible and convenient schedules," said Greg Aretakis, vice president of Revenue Production. "We already offer the most nonstop service and best schedule to major destinations from Milwaukee and Kansas City; this expansion of our codeshare is one more way we are providing our customers with more choices to help them plan their travels."

Midwest's reciprocal frequent flyer agreement with Frontier allows members of the Midwest Miles and the Frontier EarlyReturns programs to earn and redeem miles on either airline.

http://www.midwestairlines.com/About...re_122109.aspx
Old Dec 21, 2009, 3:17 pm

How much longer do you figure the AirTran frequent flyer partnership with Frontier will remain? I'm surprised it has lasted even this long.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
How much longer do you figure the AirTran frequent flyer partnership with Frontier will remain? I'm surprised it has lasted even this long.
This has been one of the great mysteries to me ever since Republic finalized the Midwest/Frontier purchases.

Even more intriguing was Bedford's recent comments about having to decide whether AirTran or Delta will be Republic's "dance partner" in 2010.

On the surface, AirTran seems to offer Republic nothing (and in the case of Milwaukee, a thorn in their side). An expanded relationship with Delta makes sense, especially if it will evolve into something much more significant. Delta has apparently smiled not only on Republic's purchase of Midwest/Frontier but the code share as well. There have been a lot of clues in recent weeks as to which way the might be leaning, but I'll include my thoughts in a new thread next week when I have more free time (there have been some other comments made by Bedford and company in recent weeks that I'd like to touch on as well).
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:33 pm

This should pave the way for a combined terminal operation at MCI. I was wondering when it would occur, with the impending inclusion of international routes, YX should be moving to terminal C.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 6:24 pm

Was just at MCI a couple of weeks ago on Southwest, nice facility. Think Southwest has about 10 gates all with one security entrance. A Southwest employee told me they were adding a couple more gates there that would all be inside security. So if Midwest and Frontier combine in Terminal C, they shouldn't have any problems having all gates within one security.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 6:26 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
Delta has apparently smiled not only on Republic's purchase of Midwest/Frontier but the code share as well.
Delta could regard the Republic empire as a valuable addition to their strategy for total world domination by establishing code share hubs in MKE, DEN, and MCI. Except for maybe MKE, they are not strong in these locations. But who knows what DL thinks about this?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 6:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Priority Club
Why has this code share taken so long to come to fruition? The two brands are owned by the same parent. Shouldn't most of the codeshares been taken care of right away?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 6:50 pm

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by Daze
Except for maybe MKE, they are not strong in these locations. But who knows what DL thinks about this?
It might be just me, but I don't think Delta really cares about MKE anymore. They have bigger fish to fry at their major hubs.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyYX
It might be just me, but I don't think Delta really cares about MKE anymore. They have bigger fish to fry at their major hubs.
Milwaukee is still a major station for Delta, but its importance appears to have diminished somewhat since the merger with Northwest occurred.

Given that the airport has turned into a financial blood bath for all airlines involved, I'm not too surprized that Delta has cut some of the underperforming routes (SLC and JFK) and right-sized capacity to the other hubs (as they've done throughout their entire route network).

Having said that, I'm sure Delta would be very interested in forming a more strategic relationship with Republic if for no other reason then to take a good slap at AirTran.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FreequentFlier
Why has this code share taken so long to come to fruition? The two brands are owned by the same parent. Shouldn't most of the codeshares been taken care of right away?
It can take a time to iron out all of the details involved with codeshares.

There were some logistical issues involved with MCI. Apparently the way security is set-up at the airport proved problematic but those issues have since been resolved.

Additionally, I've heard that the existing Midwest/Delta codeshare put restrictions on the Midwest/Frontier codeshare. If true, then is seems this roadblock has been resolved as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.