Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Republic adds more MKE nonstops

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:30 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
The crew base at GSO will open sometime around MAR or APR. The maintenance base is already there...
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:27 am

Adding MKE-GSO would help me immensely, but I don't see it happening due to the fact that RDU is so close and they just announced the restoration of service there. In fact, if they really needed to rotate crew/aircraft through GSO it's probably cheaper just to fly an empty plane RDU-GSO than to fly a light load of passengers MKE-GSO.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:05 pm

I would think that GSO wouldn't necessarily be used as a primary work center for any of the Midwest or Frontier planes. Bedford stated that Milwaukee would see both Airbus and Embraer work, which I would think means at least the E190's if not E170's. The smaller RJ's already have four overnight cities with mx bases (CMH, IND, STL, PIT) and so they seem covered.

MKE-GSO is on the thin side for service, but Republic has good opportunity to route their planes through GSO which fly under the banners of other airlines like US.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cwe84
The crew base at GSO will open sometime around MAR or APR. The maintenance base is already there...
Do you think the GSO will get service to MKE/DEN around that time? Were you hearing the same rumors or were they simply about new NC service (RDU)? Thanks for your feedback!
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:19 pm

SNA anyone? Midwest or AirTran.

Always a great alternative to LAX.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by RSVP
SNA anyone? Midwest or AirTran.

Always a great alternative to LAX.
I think that Midwest tried that out an it did not work, people preferred LAX. i am partial to Long Beach although I know that it is impossible to get into that airport due to noise restrictions

What about San Jose or Oak as alternatives to SFO. I love OAK. The only good thing that SFO has going for it is BART
Old Nov 12, 2009, 9:18 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Do you think the GSO will get service to MKE/DEN around that time? Were you hearing the same rumors or were they simply about new NC service (RDU)? Thanks for your feedback!
I think what we have been hearing is the intention to have service to all crew and mx bases. I don't think that DEN will see service but I do believe that MKE and possible MCI (much later) will see service.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Its great that RDU is coming back.
CO and UA have had decent fares there, and CO has decent arrival times, even with connection times in CLE. Hopefully YX (or is it RW now...) can make it work. Or at least bottom out the fares for me for the next few months.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Its great that RDU is coming back.
CO and UA have had decent fares there, and CO has decent arrival times, even with connection times in CLE. Hopefully YX (or is it RW now...) can make it work. Or at least bottom out the fares for me for the next few months.
YX still schedules and prices their flights. Republic provides the planes and crews.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cwe84
I think what we have been hearing is the intention to have service to all crew and mx bases. I don't think that DEN will see service but I do believe that MKE and possible MCI (much later) will see service.
Thanks cwe84...I was hoping for DEN service as that would provide great West Coast connections for travelers in a market where another option would be great. To me, it seems strang for them to have MKE service to both RDU and GSO, but we'd be glad to have it!! Fingers crossed.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Tim34
I think that Midwest tried that out an it did not work, people preferred LAX. i am partial to Long Beach although I know that it is impossible to get into that airport due to noise restrictions
Midwest was at SNA for 18 months, via MCI. AirTran mentioned restoring service during the takeover attempt. Fares at SNA are higher, but people would pay it to avoid the congestion at LAX.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 4:58 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by RSVP
Midwest was at SNA for 18 months, via MCI. AirTran mentioned restoring service during the takeover attempt. Fares at SNA are higher, but people would pay it to avoid the congestion at LAX.
Even though orange county has nearly 3 million people in it I am yet to be convinced that it is a viable market for MKE. A Midwest MCI-SNA or an Airtran ATL-SNA would work. Come to think of it SNA would be a good launching pad for either airline to expand to Hawaii. Airtran's 737s should have the range. Alaska does it with 737-800s. I am not sure about the A319 though

Just a thought
Old Nov 14, 2009, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Even though orange county has nearly 3 million people in it I am yet to be convinced that it is a viable market for MKE. A Midwest MCI-SNA or an Airtran ATL-SNA would work. Come to think of it SNA would be a good launching pad for either airline to expand to Hawaii. Airtran's 737s should have the range. Alaska does it with 737-800s. I am not sure about the A319 though

Just a thought
Airtran's 737's may have the range, but since they don't have over water routes its unlikely that there are any ETOPS certified ones. That cost alone may be enough to prevent flights to Hawaii, yields are horrible there anyway.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Thanks cwe84...I was hoping for DEN service as that would provide great West Coast connections for travelers in a market where another option would be great. To me, it seems strang for them to have MKE service to both RDU and GSO, but we'd be glad to have it!! Fingers crossed.
I think it will boil down to the financial incentives that GSO is willing to give. I can see a 2-3x to DEN/MKE/MCI... Just depends on how the negotiation will go. I think it has a shot since we are adding a large crew base there and expanding the mx base too. We wont be creating many jobs but ther is a lot of room for growth. The thing with GSO is that it captures from ROA/LYH/CLT/RDU areas. It will be a Jerry McGuire for sure!
Old Nov 15, 2009, 9:19 am

Just a thought
Alaska does not fly Orange County-Hawaii. They don't have the correct aircraft to properly serve the route and make a profit. The main reason for this is that the runway at SNA is very short and any flights to Hawaii with 737-800s would be weight restricted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.