Wiki Posts
Search

visa for Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2009, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: skywards, BMI, Qantas, Hilton honours
visa for Dubai

I am going to Dubai in june and wondering if anyone could give me advice on visas for dubai. I have got a british passport so I know i will be fine but my partner travelling with me has a zimbabwean passport and i think she needs a visa for travel but dont know the first step on how to obtan one and how long would it take and cost?

she has got indefinate stay in the UK and has been in the UK for 6 years not but as she has not got citizenship then she cant get a british passport (unless we get married).

any advice would be appreciated
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I am not sure if she can get a visa as a UK resident but based only on her Zimbabwe passport, the normal way would be for a hotel to sponsor her visa. Most any big hotel will be able to. The issue is you are not married so can't legally stay in the same room and they will treat her as a solo traveller. Solo women from Africa have a hard time getting visas.

I would try a top end hotel.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, So if i book a room at the Jebel Ali palm tree court then would I phone or email then to sponsor her? or do i contact the hotel first to sponsor her before i book it?
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:56 am

Programs: DL,EK
Call the hotel. They will need a fax of the passport and will of course charge you for the service. You'll get back a fax copy of the visa which you will show to board the plane, then pick up the original at the airport in Dubai prior to immigration.

The only issue will be a solo female from a poor country in Africa. Normally, they have a tough time as they are often seen as coming to "work the streets". Having a big hotel do it will hopefully work... they will be used to doing visas.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by 1trainer1
I am going to Dubai in june and wondering if anyone could give me advice on visas for dubai. I have got a british passport so I know i will be fine but my partner travelling with me has a zimbabwean passport and i think she needs a visa for travel but dont know the first step on how to obtan one and how long would it take and cost?

she has got indefinate stay in the UK and has been in the UK for 6 years not but as she has not got citizenship then she cant get a british passport (unless we get married).

any advice would be appreciated
If by "indefinate stay", you mean "right of abode", yhen you don't have a problem.

See http://guide.theemiratesnetwork.com/living/visa.php

Residents of the UK, with the right to abide in the United Kingdom, may obtain a free visa on arrival, which is valid for 60 days and can be renewed for an additional 30 days for Dhs. 500 (US$ 137). Holders of the British Overseas Citizens Passport, who dont have the right to abide in the UK, will also obtain the free visa.
Also see

http://www.uaeinteract.com/travel/visas.asp
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bondiboy
If by "indefinate stay", you mean "right of abode", yhen you don't have a problem.

See http://guide.theemiratesnetwork.com/living/visa.php

Also see

http://www.uaeinteract.com/travel/visas.asp
Thanks, but I am looking for a telephone number of someone to contact so i can be 100% sure.

pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between Right of abode and indefinate stay? all I know is that her passport has been stamped to say that she can live and work in the UK.

will have to double check to see if the stamp has written right to abode..
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:46 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Indefinite Leave != Right of Abode.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 5:38 am
Original Poster

after checking through a few details I have found on her passport it is stamped with indefinate stay in the UK.

from all the information I have got I think I will need a visa as she is not a british Citizen and that is what they look for in the passport for the visa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.