Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

All flights to Beirut Cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All flights to Beirut Cancelled

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2008, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Exclamation All flights to Beirut Cancelled

Due to the unfortunate events over the past 36 hours (what started out as a strike has turned into an "us" vs "them" fiasco), all flights to and from Beirut's Rafic Hariri International Airport have been cancelled until further notice.

It's getting ugly folks... Will keep you posted for sure...
Old May 8, 2008, 5:17 am

Programs: DL, AA
Sorry to hear this. The news doesn't look good. Hope you & your family are all well and you didn't have any flights scheduled.
Old May 8, 2008, 12:51 pm
Community Director Emerita

That's very sad news, BEYflyer. I hope that you and your family stay safe.

Here is an article about the violence for those wanting information.
Old May 9, 2008, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
BEY, is there any progress? I am certain that Israeli TV is covering the story but I am in Italy right now.
Old May 10, 2008, 2:53 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
No change yet

Hezbollah and their allies now effectively control the Airport and West Beirut. A number of TV Stations are now off air. Street fighting was bad, but calmer now..and I never want to hear machine gun fire and RPG's again, ever, the sound of death is truly horrific.

So we are heading into the next stage of political and millitary deadlock. Most of us who can are out of the city up in the hills trying to sit this out. Some have got to Syria, but it is not an easy journey as various factions control roads.

Keep watching the news folks, this is more interesting that Obama/Clinton for sure.
Old May 10, 2008, 3:25 am
Original Poster

GK pretty much sums it up. Beirut (most of West Beirut that is) is much calmer today and getting around is easier. The army is in control of most "trouble" areas but that doesn't mean that the situation is under control. Clearly Hizbollah and Amal groups can easily overtake the army. And the army is trying hard not to get dragged into this fight. Keeping our fingers crossed.
Old May 10, 2008, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by GK

Keep watching the news folks, this is more interesting that Obama/Clinton for sure.
And a lot more depressing.
Old May 12, 2008, 3:12 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
well i am back in town, back at work. phase one seems to be calming down.. airport still closed though.
Old May 12, 2008, 4:56 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GK
well i am back in town, back at work. phase one seems to be calming down.. airport still closed though.
Any news or indications of when the airport will open again??

I had a ticket for Beirut on 11th, but the flight were suspended, of course.

Crossing my fingers for all you in Beirut, and hoping this will be over now. It's horrible and unacceptable!
Old May 13, 2008, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Wish I could give you a date; really no idea. One minute you think everything is going to be okay and then someone holds a press conference and it's back to square one. Never really understood politics in this country (or politicians)... They (as in politicians) are either really, REALLY dumb or there is another agenda being played out here that is beyond their control. I have no other way of explaining how they (the same so called "politicians") would allow the country to be dragged back to the edge of civil war...yet again.
Old May 15, 2008, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Looks like the airport will be opening today but I don't expect a quick return to normal operations until the end of the week or Monday of next week.
Old May 16, 2008, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Qatar resumed flights to Beirut last night (May 15) becoming the first international airline to return to the airport since it was closed on May 7.
Old May 16, 2008, 1:45 am
Community Director Emerita

BEYflyer, thank you for the encouraging news. Our thoughts continue to be with you.
Old May 16, 2008, 3:33 am

BEY, is everything else in Beirut back to normal? Would you advise tourists to go there now?
Old May 17, 2008, 1:38 am
Original Poster

YES YES... Of course... Everything is back to normal. I say that because traffic is once again a nightmare Funny you should mention tourists Dovster. A few days after the fighting started, I was out and about on Hamra street (just looking around) and saw a good number of tourists walking around enjoying the sunshine (or probably looking for a way out of the city ). Our beloved leaders are all in Qatar at the moment trying to hammer out an agreement; hoping for the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.