Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

I want to see Petra, Jordan - Best way to get there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I want to see Petra, Jordan - Best way to get there?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:12 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Reporting live from Wadi Musa..

We flew into Amman, and then used the Hertz driver service (booked through their office in Sheraton Amman two days before) to go down to Wadi Musa (the town next to the Petra site). Journey was in total 4.5 hours, as we stopped in Mabada to see the mosiacs and had a lunch stop on the desert highway.

Got into the hotel (Petra Marriott - out of the way, small, but great terrace view over the mountains and desert) in time for sunset, and rose very early this morning to enter Petra site itself.

No need for a guide, as the Lonely Planet book has it all in there, and it's easy to navigate.. basically you keep walking downhill for 2 solid hours, then turn around and walk back the way you came, sure there are other side paths and high peaks to climb if that is your choice.. Plenty of tea stands, postcard stalls etc.

It is truly an amazing site, and the famous Treasury is only a small fragment. It's a mile to walk to just get to that part alone.. down the first track and then through the atmospheric Siq.. but just make sure you go early in the morning, and learn the arabic for "no i dont want a donkey/horse/camel"

I am now tired but heading to the turkish bath..

We are driving back to airport tomorrow afternoon, stopping enroute at Karak the crusader fort. A short trip, but we live close by, and travel frequently, so will go to Wadi Rum and Aqaba later in the year. No need to pack it into a short trip, as Rum is a good hour and a half away, and then need more time to see it..

Actually we were amazed at the number of time poor tourists that come here, we overhead many telling their guides they had to be back out in 2 hours, and then got totally swamped as we were leaving by the tidal inflow of around a thousand cruise ship passengers, who had clearly come up from (and were thus heading back to) Aqaba in a day.

So I know it's not the cheapest option to have a private car and driver, but it was simple to arrange, comfortable, fit to our timetable and route, trustworthy to keep bags in car while we explored Madaba, and of course paid for by credit card, so we get the miles

http://seanandgraeme.typepad.com/photos/2007_12_jordan/

Last edited by GK; Dec 29, 2007 at 8:25 am Reason: adding the photo link
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:25 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I give my third. During my 2.5 weeks in the MidEast in 2005 - most of which was wonderful - Wadi Rum stands out as one of the best days of my life. We drove up from Aqaba on the Desert Highway and spent the day riding camels and jeeps around the place. It was just stunning. I'm tempted to say "stunning nothingness" but there's so much there if you're willing to open your eyes and see it. It was a hotter-than-blazes July day, but the locals were very hospitable and served us a good, cheap lunch and lots of bottled water.

There are few places I've been that I enjoyed more. YMMV, but there's mine.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Can anyone tell me if the Beit Zaman Resort hotel or Taybet Zaman hotel are still open? I cant seem to find any official web site for them. Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2007, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by chewy3
Unless you want to see other sights in Israel, I would strongly urge you not to fly into TLV -- the immigration in TLV and between Israel and Jordan (both ways) will be unpleasant to say the least.

I will be in TLV in Feb and will have 2 or 3 days available. I would like to go to Petra. How big of a hassle will this be (I have a US passport)? Is Eilat the best place to cross, or should I fly to Amman from Tel Aviv and rent a car?

TIA!
Old Dec 31, 2007, 7:13 am
GK

fly to Amman, then get a driver to meet you and take you down there, can be done quickly if you arrive evening flight, then drive that night direct, stay in hotel, get up early (petra opens 6am) and then head back that evening.. tiring, but possible
Old Dec 31, 2007, 7:14 am
GK

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Can anyone tell me if the Beit Zaman Resort hotel or Taybet Zaman hotel are still open? I cant seem to find any official web site for them. Thanks!
both are Accor Group hotels i think.. trip advisor has links
Old Dec 31, 2007, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GK
both are Accor Group hotels i think.. trip advisor has links
Thanks GK! But, I cant seem to find official web sites for them, only the tripadvisor links to other booking engines.
Old May 22, 2008, 12:29 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Originally Posted by manneca
I had arranged a private tour. The guide picked us up from the ferry in Aqaba (we had been diving in Sharm), did the visa/immigration stuff and drove us to Petra. I would have liked to have had another day there. I think at least a day and a half if not two days would be idea.

I agree that it's do-able on your own. The question is whether you like tours or not. I hate tours, but others love them; it's just a matter of taste and disposition. There are other sites I want to see in Jordan (Jerash is the major one). You might also want to arrange a night in Wadi-Rum. We didn't, but I'd love to do that. I think there are some eco-tourism things there.

Almost everyone I met (including the Bedouins selling stuff) spoke at least some English.

The Jordanian government is under heavy financial pressure. They have taken in a lot of Iraqi refuges and tourism is down because of the unrest in the Middle East. If you go, please buy lots more than you need, especially from the Bedouins who are dependent on the tourist trade.
I will be staying a week in Sharm and want to visit Petra. How long was your trip to Petra? Did you do this as a day trip from Sharm? Can you share your booking details for your private guide?

Thanks,

Onedog
Old May 29, 2008, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Day trip from Eilat or Taba?

I too would be interested in peoples experiences in getting from either Eilat or Taba to Petra for a day tour. I am getting qoutes from the Hilton in both Eilat and Taba of US $260 a person which seems awfully expesnive for a day trip. Does anyone have recommendations?
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:20 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same question from me -- my kids are divers and will spend some time in Taba most likely (since there's a Hyatt there I can give them rooms at with my points). Is a day trip possible from Taba, preferably without paying $260 a person?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
No problems being Jewish or Israeli in Jordan though best not to broadcast the fact. You can get your visa easily on arrival in AMM (assuming you qualify). Just have JOD10 (or the equivalent of USD 15) in cash ready for each person. Go to the counters against the outside wall opposite from immigration booths and get the stamp (picture of the "treasury" at Petra) placed in your passport then go through immigration. If the lines are long, some can line up while the others go get visas.

As aside, I don't think there's a problem visiting other Arab countries (other than Egypt) as a Jew, but there are problems if you are an Israeli or have visited Israel.
Originally Posted by megan
I will be in TLV in Feb and will have 2 or 3 days available. I would like to go to Petra. How big of a hassle will this be (I have a US passport)? Is Eilat the best place to cross, or should I fly to Amman from Tel Aviv and rent a car?

TIA!
As of August, 2008, Jordan is not letting tourists enter with Jewish religious items (prayerbooks, Bibles, volumes from the Talmud, tallit & tefillin).

That may complicate your travel, or dissuade you from visiting.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by onedog
I will be staying a week in Sharm and want to visit Petra. How long was your trip to Petra? Did you do this as a day trip from Sharm? Can you share your booking details for your private guide?

Thanks,

Onedog
Just saw this question. We took a ferry from Neweiba to Aqaba. It's several hours when it runs on time. It's another hour drive to Petra from Aqaba. So, at least the way we did it, it's not a day trip. We arranged a guide through Journeys International in Ann Arbor. I can't find the Jordanian organization on the web. We did it at the end of our stay in Sharm.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 8:30 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
As for the Newiba-Aqaba ferry, "when it runs on time", previous post, is the operative word. It rarely does. Rarely. And, it can be an entire day trip in the process when it doesn't. Several travel sites rightly relate it as one of the "top ten" worst transportation scenarios worldwide, and I'd concur.

We had the BEST tour arranger EVER for time in Wadi Rum & Petra. Ali, at Zaman Tours, w/ offices in Aqaba and Wadi M. Here's his info:

Ali Harb
ZAMAN TOURS & TRAVEL
P.O.BOX : 158
PETRA - JORDAN
Tel : 00962 - 3 - 215 7723
Fax : 00962 - 3 - 215 7722
Mobile Phone : 00962 - 79 5506094
Mobile Phone : 00962 - 79 5415962
E- Mail : [email protected]
http:// www.zamantours.com

I have to say he's one of the best. He has a passion for ensuring that his travelers have a fantastic experience, and goes out of his way to make that happen, is fantastic at communication & attention to detail. I just can't say enough positive things about working with him & his agency. He'll work with whatever budget you have.

I'd echo the previous posts on including Wadi Rum in any visit to Petra, and wouldn't think of doing Petra in only one day.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 2:23 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
If you think the driving in Jordan is bad, don't ever go to Cairo.
...and if you think the driving in Cairo is bad, don't ever go to Lahore.

Never in my life have I had to dodge tractors, donkey carts, camels, lorries, bicycles carrying children, children carrying bicycles - all in addition to the usual assortment of madmen driving lorries, whole families on mopeds, and suicidal motorists.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CO FF
As of August, 2008, Jordan is not letting tourists enter with Jewish religious items (prayerbooks, Bibles, volumes from the Talmud, tallit & tefillin).

That may complicate your travel, or dissuade you from visiting.
Other than that one highly publicized and unfortunate incident, I don't know how well this is enforced. Supposedly, this has been in effect for years since the peace treaty and hasn't been an issue up until now. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.