Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long Sleeves in July?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2007, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Long Sleeves in July?

I've searched many of the other threads in this forum, but still have some questions on appropriate dress in the region. I'll be in several cities in July (Riyadh, Sana'a, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait) and am trying to figure out what's generally acceptable for a 35yo western male.

From what I've heard, pants are the rule everywhere. The bigger quesiton seems to be long vs short sleeves. From what I've read short sleeves for westerners are usually fine - at least in Kuwait and Bahrain. How about Riyadh, Sana'a, etc?

As for shorts - is the rule at all different in large western hotels? Especially in hotel gyms I assume?
Old May 20, 2007, 1:00 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
simple common sense, no strict rules.. depends how much of a tourist you want to look really... in a resort hotel/gym you can wear shorts, gym clothes, swimwear (in the pool of course) and not be bothered. i 've been to the mall in dubai/bahrain in long shorts and sandals before, no problem.

if it is a work trip.. wear a long sleeve shirt and roll your sleeves up/down depending on how hot it is, and unless you are a banker, forget wearing a tie, and jackets are for sadists.

anyhow, these are not the kind of places where you'll be walking outside in July anyway.. so prepare for arctic air-con as well
Old May 24, 2007, 7:44 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
You virtually never see men in shorts in the street, but short-sleeved shirts are fine.

Shorts are fine in Western hotels, especially gyms.
Old May 26, 2007, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've golfed in Riyadh wearing shorts and a polo shirt.
Old May 28, 2007, 7:21 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by stimpy
I've golfed in Riyadh wearing shorts and a polo shirt.
Me, too, and I nearly got heat stroke. It was June, and I was smarting at my good fortune at being the only person out on the course. I realized why by about the second hole.
Old May 31, 2007, 12:12 am

Unless you are out skiing (yes as in snow powder skiing) in Mall of the Emirates in Dubai. They have one of the longest indoor ski slopes in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.