Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Beirut International Airport Closed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beirut International Airport Closed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Smile Beirut International Airport (Closed) to reopen...

All 3 runways were bombed by Israeli forces a few hours ago (I should know as my house is not far from the airport).

Apparently the airport was used by Hizbollah to bring in weapons, something that the Israelis knew but obviously we had no idea about it. Yeah right!!!

Not sure how long the closure will be for as there is no word yet on the extent of the damage. Flights are being diverted to Cyprus.

--------------------

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Beirut international airport will reopen on Thursday for commercial flights for the first time in five weeks, four days after a U.N.-backed truce halted the war between Israel and Hizbollah guerrillas, airport sources said.
The resumption of commercial flights will effectively end an Israeli air blockade of Lebanon. A naval blockade remains in force.

A plane belonging to Middle East Airlines, Lebanon's flag carrier, will land with civilian passengers at around 1 p.m. (11 a.m. British time) from Jordan's capital Amman. It will be followed by a Royal Jordanian flight, the sources said.
^ ^

More of the article here:

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060817/3/2om65.html

Last edited by BEYFlyer; Aug 17, 2006 at 2:41 am
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
All 3 runways were bombed by Israeli forces a few hours ago (I should know as my house is not far from the airport).

Apparently the airport was used by Hizbollah to bring in weapons, something that the Israelis knew but obviously we had no idea about it. Yeah right!!!

Not sure how long the closure will be for as there is no word yet on the extent of the damage. Flights are being diverted to Cyprus.
I guess Mariah Carey isn't coming
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:14 am

Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent

Wow, I thought all the terrorist groups PR departments made sure the latest weapon shipments were in the morning papers.

Oh well, live and learn
Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
I had planned to visit Beirut in late September, in part to see some of the city planning decisions that had been made as far as rebuilding the city since 1990ish, but perhaps this will not be a good time, particularly as I understand more of the city is being bombed now.

A visiting academic in Beirut said that while many had planned to leave via Damascus after BEY was bombed the first time, with the bombing of the highway, that is now not possible. She indicated people are, for now, planning to remain for at least another month.

We hope the best for the residents of Beirut and for the city.

-Hayden
Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:02 am
Original Poster

A few Jordanian military planes have landed at Beirut International Airport bringing in much needed medical supplies and engineers to fix the airport and its runways...
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Beirut International Airport to re-open today after a 5-week closure...
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:53 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Beirut International Airport to re-open today after a 5-week closure...
Excellent! I look forward to next time I get to use it.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:34 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
First civilian flight since 7/13 lands in BEY today! It was a AMM-BEY flight...

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/751758.html

Seems as though it landed on the only runway that wasn't bombed (one out ot the three runways is functioning at this point).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.