Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Offering Info on Yemen, Oman, Qatar, UAE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:44 am
Original Poster

In the next couple of weeks, I'll be wrapping up an extended Middle East stint, with fairly long stays in Sana'a and Muscat, as well as some other spots.

When I was doing research, it seems like more people had questions than experience, so I thought I'd put the offer out. I don't know more than a guy who spent a couple of months here (solo, independent) normally would, but for what it's worth...

In particular, I spent time at the Muscat and Sana'a Sheratons. (Will post separately to SPG forum).

In summary, I've enjoyed my time here and look forward to coming back.

Old Dec 19, 2005, 1:17 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
In the next couple of weeks, I'll be wrapping up an extended Middle East stint, with fairly long stays in Sana'a and Muscat, as well as some other spots.

When I was doing research, it seems like more people had questions than experience, so I thought I'd put the offer out. I don't know more than a guy who spent a couple of months here (solo, independent) normally would, but for what it's worth...

In particular, I spent time at the Muscat and Sana'a Sheratons. (Will post separately to SPG forum).

In summary, I've enjoyed my time here and look forward to coming back.

Love to hear more about Yemmen. Practical into like where to stay, how to get around> I fly Star Alliance and have wanted to pop in there for some time.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 8:09 am
Original Poster

The best way to get here, in my opinion is Air Arabia through Sharjah (SHJ), near Dubai. Yemen has a national airline, Yemenia, but I haven't tried it. Air Arabia has been dirt cheap and reliable for me. There's a Lufthansa office at the airport (SAH), but I'm not aware of flights, not have I seen anyone in the office. Star Alliance will clearly get you to Dubai or Abu Dhabi; as I say, from there it's easy connection to Air Arabia at SHJ. I think my Air Arabia flights are under US$100.

There are several airline reps around town - Lonely Planet provides a pretty good list.

Hotels: There is a brand-new Movenpick in town. Just opening as we speak. Also two Taj hotels - one notably grander than the other - and a Sheraton I can only recommend with hesitation. There was once a Best Western affiliate on the outskirts of town, the Hadda Hotel, but it looks like the affiliation has ended. As for local hotels, I'd be wary. My few nights in these properties have been sleepless.

The tough part of being here is restaurants. There aren't many, and they tend not to cater to visitors. No menus, even in Arabic. And no real efforts to communicate. (Perhaps its harder for me because I'm vegetarian.) Hotels, of course, have restaurants that are 'easy'.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

While the imformation I've provided above is accurate, I realize now that it's also misleading. Yemen is a tough place to travel or stay. It's the third world in the truest sense of the word. Outside Sana'a especially, food is not always available. Nor are there hotels, except in a few destinations. If you haven't traveled extensively in the developing world - and I don't mean "safari Africa", I mean Sudan, Somalia, Chad, et cetera - Yemen probably isn't right for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.