Wiki Posts
Search

Rental Car in Israel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2005, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Rental Car in Israel

Do any of the FT's based in Israel, or any of the frequent visitors to IL know of any deals on car rentals for the summer (end of June to mid July)? The best I can find is about $50/day for a 4 door automatic with A/C. That does include the insurance as neither my AMEX nor my Visa offer coverage in Israel.

Is it less expensive to rent while in Israel as a local, as opposed to from the US as a tourist?
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:25 am

$50 a day sounds about right for an automatic with insurance.

The last couple times I rented were through Hertz at the airport, which honors AAA's 10% off. My final bills ended up being $230 for a week and $175 for 4 days, and I reserved a stick and was able to knock a little off the insurance b/c my Citi AA MC covers Israel. In both cases I was unable to find anything cheaper.

One spot to save if you don't need the car for your whole trip is by renting off-airport, since there is a ~US$25 fee for renting at the airport (included in what I paid above).

FWIW, both times I reserved a stick with Hertz I was "upgraded" to an automatic. I actually prefer a stick for fuel efficiency and coaxing more power out of those little tiny engines when going uphill, but the Hertz folks told me no sticks were available. Personally, I think they just don't trust Americans with manual transmissions, but if you don't know how to drive a stick, though, I don't know if it's worth gambling on them upgrading you...
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:51 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
That seems about right price wise. You can get cheaper by going off airport, but not that much cheaper. As for renting cars in Israel. I have had several issues when dealing with the various agencies. First as themicah said some of the agencies automatically give Americans automatics regardless of what they reserved. The problem I find with the automatics in Israel is they are very much underpowered for the car they are in unless you are in the premium cars. Think a typical Toyota Corolla, which in the US has a 1.8L engine, and give it a 1.4L engine and then stick an automatic on it, and it has no guts whatsoever. I find that Hertz is the worst for giving you an automatic when you reserve a stick. They claim it is an upgrade. I have been told they are out of sticks, but if you push hard amazingly one will suddenly just be returned. Avis is good for not doing the bait and switch. If you can drive a stick, i would recommend getting a stick as it helps in a lot of situations. If you cannot or are uncomfortable at all with a stick, make sure you reserve an automatic with at least a 1.8L engine.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:30 pm
Suspended

As far as I know All Corollas are at least a 1.6L. The smallest automatic is a Class 'E' similiar to a Kia Rio over here or Hyundai Accent being 6'2" they are too small for me. I usually end up with an F such as Ford Focus which is a 1.6L and I ZOOM up the hway to Jerusalem and the Dead Sea without any problem or Sluggishness at all, so no need to waste the $$$ and gas on a Premium car 2L or more. IMO

as for saving the $26 airpory tax which is charged if you pick-up OR drop-off at TLV (if you do both still Only $26) is a no brainer as a Sherut or Taxi will cost at least the same so one will not be saving anything at all.

I go with Avis signing up for the Preffered Card allows you to drop it off at T3. My rental next week for an 'E' (I get a free UP to "F" is $236 with 1 free day thrown in otherwise it would have been $259 doesnt include the $26 airport tx. So Ill be getting an F or G for $261 all in for 1 week. Avis throws in that days JPost and 1 or 2 1hr parking cards also.if youre a Preferred. with Avis I can use my MC so no CDW to pay and when I return it I can switch it to my Amex if no damage. Eldan does NOT allow you to switch CCs when you return it. This will save anywhere from an additional 1-3% as most CCs EXCEPT Amex now or by Oct will be charging a 1-3% fee for All Overseas transactions even in US$.

Just got a call that for June Only Avis says Book an 'E' and get Uped to 'G' for no extra. Also July and Aug 'F or G' are at the low season rate, which means book an 'E' and it'll cost more than an F or G. If you PM your details I can make you a booking (heading out on 6/7 myself).

Do Not book it at Avis.com, also you will not earn miles or anything else as the rates are Special rates and below what Avis.com has.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 2:09 pm

My two rentals with Hertz last year were both for type "B" or "C" cars (I can't remember which). The first time I was given a Hyundai Getz automatic, which I think was an "E" and was perfectly adquate for two people (I'm 6'1", but didn't feel too cramped). The second time I was "upgraded" to a Suzuki Liana (type "F"), which I disliked compared to the Hyundai. The Suzuki seemed underpowered relative to its weight, less fuel efficient, and had a wide turning radius. It did have more interior space than the Hyundai, though (particularly in the back seat), and while it strained going up the hills to J'lem and driving through the craters in the Negev, it did make it.

Hertz Israel's price list can be found at:

http://www.hertz.co.il/cgi-bin/hrz415.pgm?LANG=ENGl

I've never been able to reserve through that site, but have just used regular old Hertz.com and gotten roughly the same prices. I think #1 Golds can also return cars directly to T3 (like Avis Preferreds). Not sure about craz's switch-the-credit-cards trick. But make sure they get the AAA discount on your receipt, and make sure to keep a copy of it since miles rarely post and you may have to mail in the receipt to get miles.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The British Airways-provided discount code worked well with Avis too. If I can find it again, I'll post it up here.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 4:24 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
One other comment on engine power.

No one has mentioned road conditions. The road up to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv, or up to Tsfat from Tiberias is exceptionally steep by US standards. Compound this with a 95 to 100 degree day, and the car is challenged.

This is the real value of the manual trans. On the other hand, sitting in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem traffic which is awful US Atlanta, New York, Los Angeles like, you may be glad you have an automatic.

I'm going with Hertz this year, for the first time on over 5 years. The rates were incredibly different. Plus, Hertz Israel does honor 5* and Presidents Club.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I've never rented in Israel but I understand that a local company, Eldan, has the best prices -- and offers combination deals with hotels they own. You can find them at http://www.eldan.co.il/index.asp
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Avis, with the upgrade promo, turned out to be the lowest cost for a 10 day rental (Mazda 3 series) when everything was added together. Since we don't carry a Diner's or MC, we have to take the insurance. The automatic is for my spouse, who unfortunately does not drive a stick, but Tel Aviv traffic is a real PITA, so the automatic does wonders to reduce stress levels in the 40 C heat.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 2:15 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Eldon't

Originally Posted by Dovster
I've never rented in Israel but I understand that a local company, Eldan, has the best prices -- and offers combination deals with hotels they own. You can find them at http://www.eldan.co.il/index.asp
Sorry this is probably way to late for the OP, but I thought I'd put it out here just in case.

I used to use Eldan exclusively because I found their rates to be the lowest. The problem I ran into with them, however, is that they seemed to really look for ways to file insurance claims on me. The last time it happened (and the last time I used them) they claimed damage that appeared to be scratches from a tree branch. The scratches were on the topside of the trunk as I recall, and had no depth; I'm no car expert, but they probably could have been buffed out. I think they figured that because I was relying on credit card CDW, that I wouldn't care. The hassles involved with my credit-card company paperwork and so forth made this a nightmare, though. My YMMV caveat is that it's been a few years since this happened, so who knows if they're better now. I've since been using only Avis, however, and haven't had any similar problem.

Which brings me to these questions:

A) Are there any other issues to watch out for with any of the companies?
B) An earlier poster said not to use avis.com. I've been using avis.co.il, and seem to get a MUCH lower rate. Is there some other alternative I should be pursuing?
C) Does anyone have a better company suggestion? I've avoided Hertz in the past b/c of cost, but perhaps they're worth another look?

Incidentally - a good friend has historically used Tamir, I think it's called, which is an away-from-airport company. Suffice it to say that I would stay FAR away from this outfit. They actually showed up at his door in Kiryat Gat once and told him they needed his car back b/c they had promised it to someone else. They swapped it and left him with an inferior model. I know that sounds absolutely ridiculous, but I swear it actually happened. (Clearly he didn't know how to handle the situation. I would have slugged the guy.)
Old Jul 17, 2005, 2:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Jakebeth
I've since been using only Avis, however, and haven't had any similar problem.
Interesting story on that: I had made my Avis reservation in the TLV office but for a rental in MXP. MXP triple screwed me: They charged me for damage to a windshield (a pebble mark so small I never saw it), ignored the fact that I had CDW and Super CDW purchased through them, and charged me 1000 Euro instead of the 300 Euro the contract said I would be liable for if I did not have the Super CDW.

When MXP refused to back down on this, I complained to TLV. They did a check on the car's history and found that the previous renter had been charged for the same pebble damage.

For all that, MXP refused to refund me the money so TLV did it out of its own pocket.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Sorry this is probably way to late for the OP, but I thought I'd put it out here just in case.

I used to use Eldan exclusively because I found their rates to be the lowest. The problem I ran into with them, however, is that they seemed to really look for ways to file insurance claims on me. The last time it happened (and the last time I used them) they claimed damage that appeared to be scratches from a tree branch. The scratches were on the topside of the trunk as I recall, and had no depth; I'm no car expert, but they probably could have been buffed out. I think they figured that because I was relying on credit card CDW, that I wouldn't care. The hassles involved with my credit-card company paperwork and so forth made this a nightmare, though. My YMMV caveat is that it's been a few years since this happened, so who knows if they're better now. I've since been using only Avis, however, and haven't had any similar problem.

Which brings me to these questions:

A) Are there any other issues to watch out for with any of the companies?
B) An earlier poster said not to use avis.com. I've been using avis.co.il, and seem to get a MUCH lower rate. Is there some other alternative I should be pursuing?
C) Does anyone have a better company suggestion? I've avoided Hertz in the past b/c of cost, but perhaps they're worth another look?

Incidentally - a good friend has historically used Tamir, I think it's called, which is an away-from-airport company. Suffice it to say that I would stay FAR away from this outfit. They actually showed up at his door in Kiryat Gat once and told him they needed his car back b/c they had promised it to someone else. They swapped it and left him with an inferior model. I know that sounds absolutely ridiculous, but I swear it actually happened. (Clearly he didn't know how to handle the situation. I would have slugged the guy.)
tried Avis.co.il and they wanted $56 more than Eldan did for the same Cat., guess its still Eldan for me in August only. Hertz.co.il is pricing the same as Avis.

Last edited by craz; Jul 17, 2005 at 7:48 pm
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Eldan

Originally Posted by craz
tried Avis.co.il and they wanted $56 more than Eldan did for the same Cat., guess its still Eldan for me in August only. Hertz.co.il is pricing the same as Avis.
If that's the case craz, I'd strongly recommend two things:

1) Go over the car with a fine-toothed comb when you pick it up. Make the rep who asks you to sign out the car walk around it with you, and make him/her mark every single little scratch and ding you can locate.

2) Ideally, try to use a credit card that has earned your trust in terms of service. I normally use my Citi mastercard becase it's unfortunately the only one I have, and I haven't had great results with them in the past. My preference would be to use another bank's card, or if it would work, Amex, as I've had much better luck with them for problem resolution. (I used to always get charged around $70, one year after an Eldan rental, with some kind of nonsensical description. Amex always wiped it off my bill. The could have been parking tickets, but with a whacky description for the charge....and, um, no proof, who's to say I ever got them?)
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:31 pm
Suspended

If that's the case craz, I'd strongly recommend two things:

1) Go over the car with a fine-toothed comb when you pick it up. Make the rep who asks you to sign out the car walk around it with you, and make him/her mark every single little scratch and ding you can locate.

2) Ideally, try to use a credit card that has earned your trust in terms of service. I normally use my Citi mastercard becase it's unfortunately the only one I have, and I haven't had great results with them in the past. My preference would be to use another bank's card, or if it would work, Amex, as I've had much better luck with them for problem resolution. (I used to always get charged around $70, one year after an Eldan rental, with some kind of nonsensical description. Amex always wiped it off my bill. The could have been parking tickets, but with a whacky description for the charge....and, um, no proof, who's to say I ever got them?)
Years ago I left the gas cap probably at the last place I filled up. I think it was with Europa Car, they charged me $20 and wrote down like a Good Israeli,Gas Tank Cover missing. Well my CC took it to mean that somehow someway there was a cover over the tank that was missing and cut me a check for the $20.

Other times whenI was hit my CC was charged and the Ins company cut me a check for the $3500 in damages. The Great part was since Eldan charged my CC I got another Yep 3500 miles. but I wont let them get away with it if it was there before I drove off.

Some good news I couldnt find my Avis fax for the Aug rental. So I called and told them I wanted to cancel, asked why cause the car is now $54 a day. I said cause Eldan is charging me $321 for the week and you guys are like 378. She said my res was $344 and for 8 days not a week. So I said Dont Cancel and I cancelled Eldan instead.

Last edited by craz; Jul 18, 2005 at 10:36 pm
Old Jul 19, 2005, 2:40 am

For a unique experience, there is an agency that rents Smart cars but they are only based in Tel Aviv (not at the airport). You should also check for prices with Sixt and Budget as well as National and Alamo (both will eventually be Eldan but might give you good prices).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.