Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Mideast Neophyte Needs General Advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2005, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying into Muscat in December and out of Abu Dhabi 20 days later. I haven't been to the Saudi Arabian Peninsula before. (I've spent time in virtually every other part of the world, including years in the so-called "second- and third-worlds"). My primary interests are people and culture. Not into museums, shopping, golf or beach/resort life. Food interests me a little.

Any advice on Muscat/Oman and Abu Dhabi appreciated, along with any thoughts on other spots worth seeing, especially those that are easy connections from my start or end points. Qatar? Yemen? Bahrain? (I've actually spent a bit of time in Yemen, but would be game for a return trip.)

Also interested in hotel recommendations. I'm mainly a Starwood/Hilton/Hyatt guy, but I will have achieved Plat/Dia/Dia status long before December, so I'm not wedded to these (i.e., mattress runs).

Thanks
Old Mar 27, 2005, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
First off, I would definitely recommend renting a car to get between Muscat and Abu Dhabi. You can't get to know the people and culture at 30,000 feet. You need your feet on the street. Muscat should take up a few days and there are interesting sights between there and Dubai. You can swing by the desert fort in Hatta, then hit Dubai for some camel racing and the maybe the gold souk. The drive to Abu Dhabi isn't very interesting, but hopefully you can find something to do when you get there. I've only be there for business meetings and don't know of any interesting things to do outside of the hotels.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I haven't been to the Saudi Arabian Peninsula before.
I can't offer you much in the way of advice except this: the places you are visiting are on the plain old Arabian Peninsula. The Sauds are the royal family of a country hence known as Saudi Arabia.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for comments already received. My plan is to travel Muscat to Abu Dhabi by bicycle or, Plan B, bus. I'm not much of a driver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.