Wiki Posts
Search

Abu Dhabi sight seeing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2023, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Gold Circle Prestige, Emirates Silver, Hhonors Gold, Sixt Platinum
Abu Dhabi sight seeing

Hi Folks, I'm flying Etihad out of Abu Dhabi around 2am on a Saturday morning after working in Dubai for a few days. I'll get the Etihad chauffeur around 5pm from Dubai - is it doable and is there anything worth seeing in Abu Dhabi if I got dropped at the airport, left my laptop bag in the lounge and went sight seeing?

Thanks,
Old Aug 1, 2023, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I would expect it'll take you around 1,5 hours to go to Abu Dhabi.

Louvre already closed, the Grand Mosque come to my mind however - last entry 930pm. Approx 25min from the airport and worth a visit, especially in the evenings.

You technically could also do a walk around the Corniche and visit a restaurant or visit the Emirates Palace hotel. As you will be dropped of at the airport, I would be most likely tempted just to stay in the lounge (but I am a fairly lazy guy who can spends hours in lounges).
Old Aug 2, 2023, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, whats the easiest way to get from airport to the Grand Mosque, get a taxi off the rank and get him to wait? Dont need long, just want a quick look and some pics
Old Aug 3, 2023, 4:21 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Don't even need him to wait. There are loads of taxis around the Grand Mosque
niallco likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by niallco
Thanks, whats the easiest way to get from airport to the Grand Mosque, get a taxi off the rank and get him to wait? Dont need long, just want a quick look and some pics
Plenty of taxis around, should take around 25mins. You can easily make pictures from the distance at the drop off if you don't like to go inside the Mosque (where you need a ticket). For the way back taxi, Uber works very well too.

Even if you buy a ticket and go inside via the tunnel/ shopping mall, you can see everything in 30mins incl. pics (at least I can, but I don't go into all the historical details).
niallco likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks, a hit and run for some quick picks sounds good so will probably grab an Uber and get him to wait
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:25 am

Thanks, a hit and run for some quick picks sounds good so will probably grab an Uber and get him to wait
Pls report back how your trip went. D
Old Aug 4, 2023, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Will do!
Old Aug 9, 2023, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Duck1981
I would expect it'll take you around 1,5 hours to go to Abu Dhabi.

Louvre already closed, the Grand Mosque come to my mind however - last entry 930pm. Approx 25min from the airport and worth a visit, especially in the evenings.

You technically could also do a walk around the Corniche and visit a restaurant or visit the Emirates Palace hotel. As you will be dropped of at the airport, I would be most likely tempted just to stay in the lounge (but I am a fairly lazy guy who can spends hours in lounges).
Agree with all of these suggestions. The mosque is simply amazing in its size and architecture and you are able to visit inside as well. It is a unqiue experience. While you may have had your fill of mega hotels after Dubai The Emirates Palace is also worth a visit.. and yes, you can stay in the lounge at the airport but a little bit of the city is a lot more interesting.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 3:48 pm

Hi Folks, I'm flying Etihad out of Abu Dhabi around 2am on a Saturday morning after working in Dubai for a few days. I'll get the Etihad chauffeur around 5pm from Dubai - is it doable and is there anything worth seeing in Abu Dhabi if I got dropped at the airport, left my laptop bag in the lounge and went sight seeing?

Thanks,
Visiting Abu Dhabi while waiting for your late-night flight from Etihad is certainly doable. I recommend taking the opportunity to see the magnificent Sheikh Zayed Mosque. It's an iconic landmark and a must-visit destination in the UAE's capital. The mosque's architectural grandeur and serene ambiance make it a truly remarkable experience. Given your schedule, you should have enough time to explore and appreciate its beauty.

One of the most iconic aspects of the mosque is its massive main prayer hall, which houses one of the world's largest chandeliers and the largest hand-knotted carpet. The sheer size and opulence of the mosque make it a truly remarkable cultural and architectural landmark. I am a resident of Sharjah and especially travelled to Abu Dhabi twice to visit the iconic mosque there.

Safe travels, and enjoy your time in Abu Dhabi!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.