Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

DIY Aqaba and Petra from Israel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DIY Aqaba and Petra from Israel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
If you have a few days more time, may I suggest driving between Amman and Aqaba. That would allow you to spend time at a Dead Sea resort and Jerash (which has amazing Roman ruins) and also drive through the Dead Sea highway. I just did a similar trip (Arrive in TLV -> Jerusalem -> Tel Aviv -> TLV-AMM (via RJ) -> Jerash -> Amman -> Dead Sea -> Petra -> Wadi Rum -> Aqaba -> depart from AQJ) and cannot recommend enough spending more days in Jordan.

You can do a one way rental and fly RJ AMM<>TLV. The flight is very easy but expensive and low frequency. Using BA Avios for the flight if you can may be a better alternative to cash.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
You can do a one way rental and fly RJ AMM<>TLV. The flight is very easy but expensive and low frequency. Using BA Avios for the flight if you can may be a better alternative to cash.
What is about renting a car in Jordan, and taking it to Israel, and returning it again to Jordan? (I assume a one way from Jordan to Israel is out of the question)
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by momoflyingguy
What is about renting a car in Jordan, and taking it to Israel, and returning it again to Jordan? (I assume a one way from Jordan to Israel is out of the question)
I don't think you can take a rental car across the Israel/Jordan border
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
I don't think you can take a rental car across the Israel/Jordan border
Correct. I believe it's a pretty involved process to take any car across the border, and the owner needs to be there (not possible with a rental).

Last edited by coolbeans202; Jun 12, 2022 at 6:57 pm
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A couple of quick observations from my recent experience.
The Eliat-Aqaba border still closes at 3:30 due to lingering Covid rules (and don't forget the Sabbath closing). We didn't know this until we got to Eliat and got to the border at 3:29 -- close call!!

Taxi drivers in Israel charge you 40 shekels to take you to the border. On the Jordanian border there's a "taxi mafia" that will try to overcharge you. We talked the "dispatcher" down to 15 JOD from 20 JOD to take us to the Hyatt. Bad situation because you're in the middle of nowhere. Very light traffic at the border.

Hyatt is very nice, especially if you're an explorist and get stuff like lounge access, a nice suite and breakfast. Clearly the best hotel in town with the nicest beach (even if it's fake). A few restaurants nearby in the "marina" section, but if you do have a car, I'd recommend a cheap meal at khubza & seneya, a short drive away. Avis was very nice to us in Aqaba -- picking us up at the Hyatt and later driving us to the border. Avis in Eliat is a bit slow and lazy.

I think you'd want a day at the Hyatt and then leave Aqaba. Fairly easy drive to Petra and Wadi Rum. Worthwhile. Food and restaurants are cheap in Jordan and very expensive in Israel.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 7:32 pm

Thanks!

I’m glad it all worked out and you apparently liked it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.