Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai first time

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Dubai first time

I will be attending a yearly business fair that moved from Hong Kong to Dubai in March 2022. I have never been to Dubai and would like some help.

The fair will be at the Dubai World Trade Center. Which Marriott hotels are good to stay at that offer club lounge and full breakfast for elites?

Are there a good amount of restaurants or bars around the hotel?

Any recommendations for my off days around Dubai?

Any other ideas or suggestions would be helpful.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by anaggie
I will be attending a yearly business fair that moved from Hong Kong to Dubai in March 2022. I have never been to Dubai and would like some help.

The fair will be at the Dubai World Trade Center. Which Marriott hotels are good to stay at that offer club lounge and full breakfast for elites?

Are there a good amount of restaurants or bars around the hotel?

Any recommendations for my off days around Dubai?

Any other ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

Hi,

There is a thread on Marriott hotels in Dubai over on the Marriott forum which might provide some information

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Dubai, UAE
( post 747 reviews several hotels and is quite recent)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33539330-post747.html
I am looking at Dubai for December and will post a few suggestions for sights later.

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 17, 2021, 11:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
There's a Sheraton Grand pretty close to the World Trade Center. I would even say its walking distance (a bit less than a mile but in March the weather will be nice enough).
Since the area is rather heavy on commercial space, most of the "good" restaurants there cater to the banking crowd in DIFC (for eg. Zuma, Roberto's, Amazonica, etc).

Are there any particular cuisines and types of activities that are of interest (for eg. adventure, beaches, shopping, etc). Heading a bit further afield of the WTC area will take you toward old Dubai (Fahidi / Shindagha) which has some quaint bits. The area is mostly filled with Indian expats and as such most of the shopping and restaurants are Indian.

Going south / southwest from Dubai mall until Mall of the Emirates is mostly sprawl and industrial / warehousing zones. Then you reach the Internet City / Emirates Hills / Dubai Marina / JBR area ("New Dubai") which leans more toward western expats and some tourist activities again. The Palm is also nearby.

In a nutshell, it would be a bit easier to recommend things based on your specific interests & time available.

Ro
MareLuce likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 1:00 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Conrad is great and directly connected by a bridge.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RohanDXB
There's a Sheraton Grand pretty close to the World Trade Center. I would even say its walking distance (a bit less than a mile but in March the weather will be nice enough).
Since the area is rather heavy on commercial space, most of the "good" restaurants there cater to the banking crowd in DIFC (for eg. Zuma, Roberto's, Amazonica, etc).

Are there any particular cuisines and types of activities that are of interest (for eg. adventure, beaches, shopping, etc). Heading a bit further afield of the WTC area will take you toward old Dubai (Fahidi / Shindagha) which has some quaint bits. The area is mostly filled with Indian expats and as such most of the shopping and restaurants are Indian.

Going south / southwest from Dubai mall until Mall of the Emirates is mostly sprawl and industrial / warehousing zones. Then you reach the Internet City / Emirates Hills / Dubai Marina / JBR area ("New Dubai") which leans more toward western expats and some tourist activities again. The Palm is also nearby.

In a nutshell, it would be a bit easier to recommend things based on your specific interests & time available.

Ro
Thanks for the reply. My plan is as follows:

I arrive late at night and have the next day to just recuperate and get my bearings set. The three days after that will be at the conference all day and back to hotel to get changed and then dinner with clients.

After that, I plan on staying the weekend and checking out what Dubai has to offer. Maybe stay at a beach resort and just chill. I am not into shopping at giant malls. I do enjoy the old school style markets and love to eat things off the street at the markets. Breakfast would be at hotel, lunch on the street and dinner at a nice restaurant. I prefer to eat where the locals eat.

I enjoy a variety of food so that isn’t a problem. The only thing I don’t care for is bland American style food.

I am thinking at staying at the Habtoor for the last few days as that looks like a nice property and I can just Uber around but if you have have other ideas, please feel free to share.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Have booked the Conrad for end november for 5 nights
My initial plans ( plus relaxing in the Conrad pool)

The Expo ( runs until 31 March 2022
Dubai Garden Glow
Maybe some souks for wandering
Visit the palm via the metro and tram link ( go up the Pointe observation deck)
Walk around the Marina promenade
Dubai Frame at Zabeel Park
Walk round the fountain/lake/souke at Burj Khalifa ( maybe catch an evening fountain show)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 20, 2021, 8:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Maybe hit up the Al Seef area on the creek and eat at one of the famous Persian restaurants, special khabab in Al fahidi down the street.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Have booked the Sheraton Grand for the days of the fair so I can be close to the World Trade Center and the Habtoor for the weekend to relax.

Now, I can start looking for things to do around that area.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by anaggie
Have booked the Sheraton Grand for the days of the fair so I can be close to the World Trade Center and the Habtoor for the weekend to relax.

Now, I can start looking for things to do around that area.
Not saying you don't already know, but in case you don't......if you're flying Emirates save your arrival boarding pass to get discounts across the city. All the locations will be linked on the emirates website under the emirates pass. Also, get your free expo ticket. And check for the monthly freebies. This month free admission to the frame with boarding pass. Also, (edit) the Expo website has pop up promotions, like they have now for free 100AEDs for food/drinks if you go to the expo 3 times. Have a good trip.
anaggie and MareLuce like this.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Oct 21, 2021 at 10:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.