Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE - Travel between Dubai and Abu Dhabi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Dear all,

we are thinking about travelling to the UAE end of this month from FRA or AMS. If i got the information on IATA correct we need a negative PCR test (done max. 96 hours before arrival) to enter DXB and another one before depature by air.

We might want to spend some days in Abu Dhabi (travelling by road to Saadiyat) which seems to be tricky as the following rules are still in place if I'm informed well: We have to do another PCR test (in case the one before depature is older than 48 hours) and stay in quarantine until being in the UAE for 14 days and do another test on day 12 (if in Abu Dhabi).

Is anybody actually in the UAE or has been there recently who can confirm/update the information i researched?

THX
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Your information corresponds with what Emirates is posting on their website:
https://www.emirates.com/us/english/...ourists/#82451
The UK FCO advice is similar:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
Old Oct 15, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Just got back from Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
Correct you need a negative PCR Covid test with printed results taken 96 hours before your departure from your home airport or your first departing flight to enter Dubai.
You do not need a negative PCR Covid test before departure unless the country you're returning to requires it.

Yes, you can enter Abu Dhabi by road without 14 day quarantine.
You'll need a negative PCR Covid test with results via SMS to show to the patrol officers at the Abu Dhabi border.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by blacke61
Just got back from Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
Correct you need a negative PCR Covid test with printed results taken 96 hours before your departure from your home airport or your first departing flight to enter Dubai.
You do not need a negative PCR Covid test before departure unless the country you're returning to requires it.

You'll need a negative PCR Covid test with results via SMS to show to the patrol officers at the Abu Dhabi border.
What do you mean by Abu Dhabi border ? Do you mean there is now a (road) border between Dubai and Abu Dhabi ?

Last edited by Goldorak; Oct 21, 2020 at 12:48 pm
Old Oct 21, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Yes there are checkpoints on all the roads that cross from Dubai to Abu Dhabi.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 5:50 am

This is only true if:
a) You are an Abu Dhabi resident; in which case you must take a PCR test on the 6th day back in the emirate; or
b) You are a tourist and have already spent 14 days in the UAE (e.g. in Dubai).
Old Oct 21, 2020, 8:57 am

I am not a Abu Dhabi resident and as a US tourist I didn't spend 14 days in the UAE before going to Abu Dhabi by road.
My entire trip to UAE was only 5 days.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

I am not a Abu Dhabi resident and as a US tourist I didn't spend 14 days in the UAE before going to Abu Dhabi by road.
Meanwhile had been in contact with GM of St. Regis Saadiyat and been told that quarantine is mandatory unless 14 days in UAE before (as found everywhere on the web) - new for me was that in case of the mandatory quarantine (possible at hotel) you are not allowed to leave hotel room during that time (no beach)...
Old Oct 24, 2020, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by .Skydiver.
Meanwhile had been in contact with GM of St. Regis Saadiyat and been told that quarantine is mandatory unless 14 days in UAE before (as found everywhere on the web) - new for me was that in case of the mandatory quarantine (possible at hotel) you are not allowed to leave hotel room during that time (no beach)...
I think that's just how COVID quarantine is handled in most hotels. They don't want you wandering around until you are cleared as negative. Meals delivered to rooms etc
Old Oct 25, 2020, 5:10 am

When you turned up at the border did you tell them the you were recently entered into the country? If not, lucky they didn't find out because I think it's a 50,000 fine for ignoring the quarantine rules.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:37 am

Sure did, showed my negative PCR covid sms test results and offered up my US passport as well for him to check the immigration stamp.

Different rules apply for non-UAE residents

https://ae.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...9-information/

The UAE has relaxed some entry requirements. Currently, tourist visas are being issued in all Emirates. Visitors can travel to Abu Dhabi by road, but must present a negative COVID-19 PCR test or negative laser blood test with results received within 48 hours.

Last edited by blacke61; Oct 25, 2020 at 11:38 am Reason: formatting
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:28 am

The 14 day quarantine is still in effect:

No idea how you managed to get through.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 3:01 am

How about the other Emirates?

I'm planning a visit to Dubai in the spring. I will probably stay about a week, so I won't have any luck getting into Abu Dhabi. But how about the other Emirates? Are any other Emirates open for tourists? Would I be able to rent a car and drive to Fujairah or Ras al-Khaimah?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 8, 2021, 2:21 am

Yes, no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.