Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

4 things you should know to avoid trouble in Dubai:

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Hey everyone ,
So I moved recently to UAE and would like to bring your attention to few things if you are planning a visit to Dubai or any other Arab countries in the middl-east:

All sexual relations outside marriage is a crime: UAE is liberal and unmarried couples cohabiting is illegal also (LGBT) rights are badly suppressed in all 7 Emirati states and visitors may get deported however, most hotels turn a blind eyes to this matter especially the luxury ones. You just need to be careful about what you say about yourself to the public or the officials, as you will notice people refer to their partners as wife and husband instead of girlfriend and boyfriend.

you cannot do anything fun online: UAE blocks more than 267 popular website and all VoIP applications so if you use FaceTime, Skype or messenger for communication with friends and family you should probably consider this problem in your calculations, also be aware that there are only few trusted VPNs work in Dubai such as NordVPN and Express, I like NordVPN more because it provides exactly the same service as express for lower price.

NordVPN AppStore
NordVPN Android
If you are already in Dubai, NordVPN official website might be blocked by the authorities so try to visit their secondary website nord-me
Express website.

Freedom of speech in the UAE: freedom of expression, press and speech are extremely violated, where residents who have spoken about human rights issues are at serious risk of arbitrary detention, imprisonment, and torture. Many are serving long prison terms or have left the country under pressure according to HRW, also you should avoid mocking Islamic religion and be careful about what you say about ruling family to the public.

Travelling during Ramadan: If you’re travelling in Ramadan (which is not recommended ) you should know that it is not allowed for you to eat or drink in public places during the daytime until sunset. Most restaurants will be open only for delivery. Entertainment such as loud music, dancing, etc is prohibited throughout the month so clubs usually stay shut.
Alcohol is allowed only after the sunset prayers most bars, no parties or concerts during this month.
RonaldX11 likes this.

Last edited by ArnoldMuller; Sep 20, 2019 at 8:03 am
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ArnoldMuller
Hey guys ...
Just FYI: quite a few of us don't fit the traditional definition of "guys."

... Travelling during Ramadan: If you’re travelling in Ramadan (which is not recommended ) you should know that it is now allowed for you to eat or drink in public places during the daytime ...
Do you mean "now allowed," as written, or "not allowed?"
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Travelling during Ramadan: If you’re travelling in Ramadan (which is not recommended ) you should know that it is now allowed for you to eat or drink in public places during the daytime until sunset. .
I don't know what prompted this post, but if you feel compelled to do it, it would be helpful if you do so accurately.
Global Adventurer and pdxkat like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.