Visas needed Transit?

Old Dec 6, 18, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, US Gold
Visas needed Transit?

Hello: Trying to nail down some info for a trip to the Maldives for our 25th next year. we are transiting three countries that I am a bit confused about. Hoping to get some guidance.

1) We re US Citizens.

2) Qatar. 6 hour layover-not leaving the airport. I do not believe we need a Visa of any kind.

3) Sri Lanka 3 hour layover-not leaving airport Again, I do not believe we need a Visa of any kind.

4) Abu Dhabi Overnight. Likely staying at the Aerotel on secure side. MAY need transit visa, but can get on arrival.

Real question is-do I need to do anything in advance or can I take care of everything during our journey?

Thanks
Old Dec 6, 18, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As with all international travel, but especially anything involving transit, it really pays to check IATA's TIMATIC database. Several channels make it available without charge. This is a link to the UA-provided channel. If you use another channel, make certain that you are directed to TIMATIC and not so some paid visa service.

You will need to include all of the information requested in order to get accurate answers (more than you have provided in your OP).

For what it is worth, this is the information which any air carrier staff checking documents will pull up on their terminal when they check your documents. It can pay to read through to the end carefully as it is common to require a visa and then state exceptions at the very end of the entry. It also pays to recheck this information close to the time of travel as some countries change their requirements and that can upset the apple cart.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC
Old Dec 6, 18, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, US Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
As with all international travel, but especially anything involving transit, it really pays to check IATA's TIMATIC database. Several channels make it available without charge. This is a link to the UA-provided channel. If you use another channel, make certain that you are directed to TIMATIC and not so some paid visa service.

You will need to include all of the information requested in order to get accurate answers (more than you have provided in your OP).

For what it is worth, this is the information which any air carrier staff checking documents will pull up on their terminal when they check your documents. It can pay to read through to the end carefully as it is common to require a visa and then state exceptions at the very end of the entry. It also pays to recheck this information close to the time of travel as some countries change their requirements and that can upset the apple cart.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC
Great Tool. Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 18, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker View Post
Great Tool. Thanks.
Currently you require no visa to enter Qatar, and you'll be given a no-fuss visa on arrival if you choose to enter UAE. For Sri Lanka you don't require a visa if you remain airside i.e. don't enter the country.

However getting a 48-hour transit E-visa for Sri Lanka might be reassuring, just in case the connection goes wrong and you need to get to a hotel: it's free and avoids the faff that can be entailed getting the same (free) transit visa at the airport. Online Visa Application