Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Trip to Jordan. Feedback requested.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

I will be traveling with my wife for 7 days in Jordan. I am looking for some feedback on what else to do and feedback on the current plan. Neither one of us has been to the middle east so I definitely want to take in the different life style. Is old town Amman worth spending some time in? We will be in Amman on a Tuesday. Are there any souqs open that day worth doing?

I am also looking for some ideas what to do during day 6. We will be staying the night before inside Wadi Rum in one of those bubble tents. I assume the next morning we will head out right after breakfast and should be in Aqaba later in the morning. Any good recommendation what to do in Aqaba. I will be diving the next day, so I am also looking for a good dive center recommendation.

Day 1: Arrive Monday night at 9 PM at AMM. Pick up rental. Head to IC Amman call it a night.
Day 2: Amman: Visit a souq, if one is open, Citadel, Roman Amphitheater, dinner at Fakhreldin Restaurant. Any other must see items? Old town?
Day 3: Leave Amman early, drive to Mount Nebo, then Wadi Mujib to hike the siq (morning), then back track to the Kempinski Dead Sea
Day 4: Drive to Petra in the morning. Vist Petra. Stay at Crown Plaza Petra. Considering the Petra night show, not sure it is worth it.
Day 5: Drive to Wadi Rum. Do 4x4 / camel rides at Camp.
Day 6: Drive to Aqaba. Is there anything else to see / do on the way?
Day 7: 2-tank boat dive. Any dive center recommendations?
Day 8: Drop off rental, leave AQJ at 9:00 AM.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:33 am

What time of year is your trip? I don't know what your timeline is for getting to the Dead Sea on Day 3, but here's one thing to just think about or look into...

The second time I visited Jordan, we only had one night at the Dead Sea. We were told that the beach was open until "sunset." This was in the winter, so perhaps sunset is earlier, but we had a late lunch after check-in and then got to the beach in late afternoon. To me, it was certainly not sunset yet...it was late afternoon but the sun was still shining. We were told we couldn't swim (well, float) in the Dead Sea because the beach was closed for the night!! The beach didn't open until 9 or 10 the next morning, but we were leaving the hotel by 9, so we couldn't swim the next day. We had to beg...almost in tears....before the lifeguards said we could get in the water, but only for a couple minutes and only right at the edge. It wasn't that enjoyable with people breathing down your neck to hurry up.

If you were wanting to get in the Dead Sea, I would maybe ask your hotel about their beach policies for the time of year you'll be there so you can make sure to get there in time after your hike. It could be a huge disappointment not to even be allowed into the Dead Sea!!
Annalisa12 likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cctible

If you were wanting to get in the Dead Sea, I would maybe ask your hotel about their beach policies for the time of year you'll be there so you can make sure to get there in time after your hike. It could be a huge disappointment not to even be allowed into the Dead Sea!!
That is interesting. We will be in the heat of the summer in June and at the Dead Sea around 2-3 PM, so this shouldn't be a problem. I would have thought at that you can go into a sea any time you want.
Old May 5, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by michaelr
That is interesting. We will be in the heat of the summer in June and at the Dead Sea around 2-3 PM, so this shouldn't be a problem. I would have thought at that you can go into a sea any time you want.
You can definitely to into the Dead Sea any time you want to. However, if you want to get there via a hotel beach, you are subject to the hotel's regulations as to the times that beach can be used for that purpose.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
You can definitely to into the Dead Sea any time you want to. However, if you want to get there via a hotel beach, you are subject to the hotel's regulations as to the times that beach can be used for that purpose.
That was our situation...we were at a hotel and trying to use their beach. We had no transportation to try to find a public area.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Are you going to Jerash?
DirtyDan likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I loved floating in the Dead Sea. So fun but OMG the salt hurts your eyes if it goes anywhere near your face.

Have fun.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Are you going to Jerash?
I can't speak for the OP, but it seems the itinerary is from Amman south to Aqaba. Jerash would be north, so I suspect not.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Efrem
I can't speak for the OP, but it seems the itinerary is from Amman south to Aqaba. Jerash would be north, so I suspect not.
That is correct. Jerash we decided to skip. Mostly because we have seen our share of Roman things in Italy and for logistical reasons as well.
Old May 11, 2018, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is correct. Jerash we decided to skip. Mostly because we have seen our share of Roman things in Italy and for logistical reasons as well.
I loved it but then I haven't been to Europe. As you say, you can be templed out after seeing too many ruins etc.

Have fun planning. I love planning a trip.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I haven't been to Jordan in about 6 years now. Did they finally got the street names and GPS working? When I was living there it was a nightmare to navigate.
All the directions were based on 'round-about' - Go to the 7th Circle and make 5th right, then few more streets until you see mosque...
I can't imagine driving in Amman. Jordan is probably in top 3 countries with very bad drivers and very bad driving habits.
Driving outside of the city is ok, just watch for unmarked speed bumps on the highway!!! That's another idiotic idea that they have. Freaking gray speed bumps on a gray asphalt highway.
Watch for police pulling you over for nothing. Driver cannot smoke, drink or eat anything while driving. Outside of the city, police will have make shift control check point, and they will look at the cars 1km away with binoculars. If they think that driver is doing one of the 3 things above, you will get "cash" ticket.

Other than that, Jordan is very nice country with very friendly people. Only in the northern part of Jordan local people hate Americans. Basically if you cross highway 10 above Irbid or Mafraq you can expect that there will be "no soup for you!". Of course, there are exceptions like the town Ramtha. Some people would be very nice to us, some people would kick us out from their restaurants.

Have fun in Jordan!
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: LH
Hi all

I would be interested to hear your views on our planned 10 days itinerary (late October):

1 Amman
2 Jerash, Ajloun, As-Salt
3 Dead Sea
4 Dead Sea
5 Petra
6 Petra
7 Wadi Rum
8 Red Sea
9 Red Sea
10 Red Sea
We fly into AMM and out of Eilat/Ovda

Out plan is to self-drive.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by flo-e
Hi all

I would be interested to hear your views on our planned 10 days itinerary (late October):

1 Amman
2 Jerash, Ajloun, As-Salt
3 Dead Sea
4 Dead Sea
5 Petra
6 Petra
7 Wadi Rum
8 Red Sea
9 Red Sea
10 Red Sea
We fly into AMM and out of Eilat/Ovda

Out plan is to self-drive.

Thanks for any advice.
I would spend at least 2 days in the Wadi Rum. To me, Aqaba is incredibly boring. Went once, never again.
flo-e likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Plat AMB, HH Diamond, Delta Silver, Finnair Plat
Originally Posted by cctible
What time of year is your trip? I don't know what your timeline is for getting to the Dead Sea on Day 3, but here's one thing to just think about or look into...

The second time I visited Jordan, we only had one night at the Dead Sea. We were told that the beach was open until "sunset." This was in the winter, so perhaps sunset is earlier, but we had a late lunch after check-in and then got to the beach in late afternoon. To me, it was certainly not sunset yet...it was late afternoon but the sun was still shining. We were told we couldn't swim (well, float) in the Dead Sea because the beach was closed for the night!! The beach didn't open until 9 or 10 the next morning, but we were leaving the hotel by 9, so we couldn't swim the next day. We had to beg...almost in tears....before the lifeguards said we could get in the water, but only for a couple minutes and only right at the edge. It wasn't that enjoyable with people breathing down your neck to hurry up.

Out of curiosity, what time of the year were you there and would you still recommend it in winter? Swimming when it's only +5c out sounds a bit chilly. I'm trying to decide if Jordan would make a good Christmas destination for this year. I've heard one review of the transportation being an absolute mess if it snows and even the major highways being closed for extended periods of time. I'd be self driving and not spending any time in Amman with a couple days each at Wadi Rum, the Dead Sea, and Petra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.