Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

American Tourist in Iran During Possible Nuclear Deal Pullout

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I am scheduled to travel to Iran during the May 12th deadline of Trump possibly withdrawing from the multilateral nuclear deal with Iran. While I have been to over 60 countries (mostly off the map) and don't pay attention to media hype, I am starting to get concerned about Americans in Iran at the time possibly becoming political collateral during this time of particular sensitivity.

I am not Iranian-American, and there seems to be no record of a tourist ever being arbitrarily detained in Iran (besides the hikers in 2009 who apparently accidentally entered Iran illegally, although this is likely not considered "arbitrary"). I am on a group tour, have a sponsored tourist visa, etc... by the book. Generally, any concern of Americans (of non-Iranian and non-journalistic origin) traveling to Iran is quickly put to rest by the scores of people that have come and went and shared their great experiences, but current events are giving me a little pause given that I will be there during May 12, when Trump possibly tries to kill the deal. Even though it's a separate country, North Korea prevented any Malaysians from departing during a diplomatic crisis between those two countries, and I'm wary of something similar or worse.

Does anyone here share my concern--or am I overthinking this?

Thank you.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
WAY, WAY, WAY over-thinking.
Relax and enjoy your tour.
oneworld82 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.