Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Connecting in AUH - Etihad to KLM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM; SPG/Marriott Gold

Hello - I have a 6.5 hour connection in AUH on separate tickets, arriving into AUH on Etihad and leaving from AUH on KLM. I’ve searched online but most of the information I’ve found on connections involves Etihad to Etihad transfers. I’m looking for any info available on a connection like this.

Has anyone done this before and have any information to share? Will I need to leave the secure zone, collect bags, and RE-check in? Will I need a visa just to make this connection? Is this enough time to head into the city for a few hours and make it back for my flight?

My my schedule has plenty of time, so I’m not terribly worried about the connection, and may even go into the city for a few hours if possible. However, I want to make sure I have all the details and info I need before doing so. Thank you in advance for your help!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Worst case, you'll simply walk from T3 to T1, which is about 15 minutes. You might even not have to do that, as some Etihad flights go to T1. No visa, no collecting bags assuming that the whole flight is on one ticket.

You could go into the city, on a whirlwind tour. You'd obviously then have to get an on-the-spot tourist visa (depending on your nationality, of course) to leave airside / enter the country.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by csdf
Worst case, you'll simply walk from T3 to T1, which is about 15 minutes. You might even not have to do that, as some Etihad flights go to T1. No visa, no collecting bags assuming that the whole flight is on one ticket.

You could go into the city, on a whirlwind tour. You'd obviously then have to get an on-the-spot tourist visa (depending on your nationality, of course) to leave airside / enter the country.
The OP is on separate tickets, so will have to clear customs/immigration anyway.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:57 am

Well, You could enter your two flights numbers / codes in google`s search bar to check where exactly ( I mean which terminal) your arriving flight should and land and from where your departing one should fly. If both at same terminal so no need to leave it and you could just relax or have a meal / drink at one of the cafes there just like Illy cafe.
If your departing terminal is different than your arrival one, you will need to walk between them. It is like 10 mins walking distance between them.
Regarding luggage, never worry about it, your luggage will automatically being boarded to the KLM aeroplane. Just keep your mobile device, lap top or whatever breakable in your hand bag.
Concerning visa, You need no visa if you just will land at the airport without going out. This is a confirmed info!
While if you would love to spend your stopover time exploring around, you need to know that Abu Dhabi airport is away from Abu Dhabi city, about 40 KM. If so, you could hire a tour company to arrange you a stopover tour. See here for the best tourist attractions to visit in Abu Dhabi. you may have a 2-3 quick stopover in city. If you decided to have a stopover tour in Abu Dhabi, you will need to get a transit visa, it actually depends on the passport you do hold to check if you could get your visa upon arrival or it needs to apply for online.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by redhawk
Hello - I have a 6.5 hour connection in AUH on separate tickets, arriving into AUH on Etihad and leaving from AUH on KLM.
Originally Posted by MarcoKingsly
Regarding luggage, never worry about it, your luggage will automatically being boarded to the KLM aeroplane.
????????? If it was a single booking yes - this is 2 separate bookings.

Some major issues here.

As the OP is on separate tickets, Etihad is likely to refuse to interline the bags at the initial check in. Very different story if it was a single ticket/PNR but in this case with separate tickets you are relying on the checkin staff doing you a favour - not a good situation to be in. Which leads to the next issue:

OP - are you eligible for visa free entry? If you are not, and Etihad will not interline your bags you are likely to be in a world of hurt as you will be expected to clear immigration to collect your bags.

Suggest you ask Etihad at your departure point what their policy is.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM; SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Reds2011
????????? If it was a single booking yes - this is 2 separate bookings.

Some major issues here.

As the OP is on separate tickets, Etihad is likely to refuse to interline the bags at the initial check in. Very different story if it was a single ticket/PNR but in this case with separate tickets you are relying on the checkin staff doing you a favour - not a good situation to be in. Which leads to the next issue:

OP - are you eligible for visa free entry? If you are not, and Etihad will not interline your bags you are likely to be in a world of hurt as you will be expected to clear immigration to collect your bags.

Suggest you ask Etihad at your departure point what their policy is.

OP here. Thanks all for the replies and information. We are US Citizens and based on everything I've read we should be fine to obtain an entry visa, especially with a confirmed ticket later the same day. The two tickets are:

Etihad SEZ - AUH
KLM - AUH-AMS-USA

The Etihad flight carries a KLM codeshare, and KLM actually sell this flight in a single ticket from SEZ-AUH-AMS-XXX. For various reasons not worth exploring, I didn't book it that way, but was wondering if it would be at all possible to interline to make our lives easier. We'll ask the folks at the Etihad check-in in SEZ if possible, but my assumption is that we'll be spending a few hours in the AUH airport, and I was fully prepared and expecting that to be the case.

Which leads to my next question:

In AUH would we be restricted from re-checking bags and going through security until 3 hours prior to departure? Based on the AUH website, the check-in desks would not open until 3 hours prior to departure, meaning we'd have to spend a few hours in the non-sterile area of the airport after collecting bags from our EY inbound flight. Is this true? Are there any lounges (I've got both priority pass and diners club, also willing to pay if necessary) and/or luggage storage? Sitting on a bench in baggage claim isn't ideal, but if that is the case, so be it.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.