Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

LHR-DXB Onward Connection on Different Airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

In a couple weeks I will be flying ORD-LHR-DXB on BA with a connection in DXB to a Kenya Airways flight. The connection time is a little over 3 hours. Is this too short or am I just being paranoid?

Any tips to make sure that I make this connection? I am booked in premium economy, which will hopefully help me get off the plane more quickly, but I fear the slowdown point will be baggage claim and immigration.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there anything I can do to to ensure that I make the next flight? I am AA gold if that matters (though I was just reading that I don't get priority tags and they don't matter if I did ) Do I have to leave the transit area and clear customs and immigration? Or is there a way to check in for the Kenya Airways flight while staying airside?

My apologies if this is the wrong place for this question.

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be provided.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The question is whether BA and KQ have an interline baggage agreement. If so, you ought to be able to check your bags at ORD to your final destination on KQ.

If you misconnect, what is the next flight? Plan B is always the issue with a misconnect. The carrier causing the misconnect, presumably BA will be responsible for rebooking and will owe you a duty of care to include a hotel room if you are required to overnight.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is this all booked on a single ticketed itinerary?

If not, then the bags will not be checked through , nor will you have any protection if you miss the onward flight ; I would not undertake this with only 3 hours on separate bookings

If this is a through booking, then the luggage should be checked through and , even if anything does go wrong, you will be rebooked onwards
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP said he had a "connection". That is necessarily a single ticket.

If he is on separate tickets, then he is not "connecting".

I've taken him at his word.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The question is whether BA and KQ have an interline baggage agreement. If so, you ought to be able to check your bags at ORD to your final destination on KQ.

If you misconnect, what is the next flight? Plan B is always the issue with a misconnect. The carrier causing the misconnect, presumably BA will be responsible for rebooking and will owe you a duty of care to include a hotel room if you are required to overnight.
I hadn't thought about interline agreements. I just assumed they didn't have one. Would the fact that I am on separate tickets make that point moot?

Also, for the duty of care, do I lose that with separate tickets? I am not very familiar with the EU rules (I assume that is where this comes from) that affect BA.

The plan B flights are somewhat up in the air right now considering that some of the options would be on Qatar (they no longer show up on Google Flights, and I don't know if I can rely on their current political situation being resolved). There are several options that would still get me to my destination the same day as the original plan would, but a good bit later, and the connections aren't as desirable.

Thanks for your response.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Is this all booked on a single ticketed itinerary?

If not, then the bags will not be checked through , nor will you have any protection if you miss the onward flight ; I would not undertake this with only 3 hours on separate bookings

If this is a through booking, then the luggage should be checked through and , even if anything does go wrong, you will be rebooked onwards
I apologize for the wording. It is not a single ticket. It is a separate booking.

What can I expect in Dubai as far as time for immigration, check in for the next flight, etc.?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:11 pm

With separate tickets, there is no duty of care at all

Once BA delivers you to Dubai, its contract is complete ; you now have a new contract with Kenya Airways

If the BA flight is delayed and you turn up too late to check in for the Kenya Airways flight, then you will be liable for whatever the no show penalty is for the flight - which could be as much as having to buy a new ticket on the spot

Dubai is , in my experience, a reasonably efficient airport and would expect that you would be at check in for Kenya Airways within an hour of getting off of the BA flight

This does leave some buffer for delays, but not a great deal and I wouldn't do this with a 3 hour connection unless the penalty for missing the Kenya Airways flight is small. If you have a flexible ticket that can just rebook on the next flight, then no reason not to, but if there could be large costs, I would recommend not doing it

If QR fly to the destination, I would suggest that a through booking of LHR-DOH-xxx would be a much better choice; to best of my knowledge there is no issue with QR and and most of Africa
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

With separate tickets, there is no duty of care at all

Once BA delivers you to Dubai, its contract is complete ; you now have a new contract with Kenya Airways

If the BA flight is delayed and you turn up too late to check in for the Kenya Airways flight, then you will be liable for whatever the no show penalty is for the flight - which could be as much as having to buy a new ticket on the spot

Dubai is , in my experience, a reasonably efficient airport and would expect that you would be at check in for Kenya Airways within an hour of getting off of the BA flight

This does leave some buffer for delays, but not a great deal and I wouldn't do this with a 3 hour connection unless the penalty for missing the Kenya Airways flight is small. If you have a flexible ticket that can just rebook on the next flight, then no reason not to, but if there could be large costs, I would recommend not doing it

If QR fly to the destination, I would suggest that a through booking of LHR-DOH-xxx would be a much better choice; to best of my knowledge there is no issue with QR and and most of Africa
OK. Thanks for the info. The Kenya Airways flight is booked as "economy restricted", but if I am reading the rules right there is a change fee and, I assume, the fare difference to be paid if it has to be changed.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by OutOfORD
OK. Thanks for the info. The Kenya Airways flight is booked as "economy restricted", but if I am reading the rules right there is a change fee and, I assume, the fare difference to be paid if it has to be changed.
You would have to pay the change fee and fare difference
If this is the outbound flight, then the fare difference is to the fare available for sale that day with no advance purchase restrictions, so could be quite a high fare difference

Looking at KQ's fares, it does seem that it doesn't have advance purchase restrictions, but the change fee on lowest fares is $100 plus will likely incur the $150 no show fee giving a total change fee of USD250

The fare difference could be anything from zero to GBP500 depending on how busy the flights are

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 14, 2017 at 8:50 pm
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
If everything is on time you will probably be ok.

However, BA is sometimes late, the immigration queues can be long (both in and out) and baggage can be delayed.

If I were you I would at least do the following:

1) If possible take hand baggage (I almost never check a bag)
2) If not possible, sit as far forward as possible on the plane to get to the front of the (BA) immigration queue
3) If BA gives out immigration for fast track for J passengers - see if you can get one if the plane is late (explain to the CSM)
4) Buy some insurance - single trip is cheap as is an annual policy if you travel a lot
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

You would have to pay the change fee and fare difference
If this is the outbound flight, then the fare difference is to the fare available for sale that day with no advance purchase restrictions, so could be quite a high fare difference

Looking at KQ's fares, it does seem that it doesn't have advance purchase restrictions, but the change fee on lowest fares is $100 plus will likely incur the $150 no show fee giving a total change fee of USD250

The fare difference could be anything from zero to GBP500 depending on how busy the flights are
Thank you! I just took a look at a similar itinerary to mine coming up in about a day from now, and the fare is not much higher than what I paid. So hopefully it will be the same on my travel date should things get delayed.

Thanks, again, for your input. I will make sure that I have notes regarding all potential alternative flights for every step of my route.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
If everything is on time you will probably be ok.

However, BA is sometimes late, the immigration queues can be long (both in and out) and baggage can be delayed.

If I were you I would at least do the following:

1) If possible take hand baggage (I almost never check a bag)
2) If not possible, sit as far forward as possible on the plane to get to the front of the (BA) immigration queue
3) If BA gives out immigration for fast track for J passengers - see if you can get one if the plane is late (explain to the CSM)
4) Buy some insurance - single trip is cheap as is an annual policy if you travel a lot
1) Not possible for this trip, unfortunately.
2) Sitting in World Traveler Plus, which I believe is pretty close to the door. Maybe I will get an offer at check in for a J upgrade. Tight timeline would be a good excuse to upgrade.
3) Great tip. Thanks.
4) I have trip interruption insurance through my credit card, but it only covers interruptions due to weather or strike. Do you have any recommendations on who to go through for the insurance (USA)?

Thanks for the response!

Last edited by OutOfORD; Jun 14, 2017 at 10:09 pm
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:00 pm

http://www.marhabaservices.com/engli...ces/meet-greet

might be worth considering this - for 300AED - $80 - they'll sort the baggage and expedite you through the processes

from my experience 3hrs would be OK if your flight is on time, but it'll be a bit stressful as the immigration queues from the BA flight are variable
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
And just to add, BA will not interline across separate tickets.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:36 pm

I think 3 hours should be fine. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to need more than that. I've seen long queues at immigration many times, but I don't recall ever waiting more than about an hour, even when the arrivals hall was packed.

I'd be surprised if you can find reasonable travel insurance that would cover these circumstances. Most policies I've seen are pretty conservative on non-connections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.