Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Another Jetlag Thread - UA90 EWR-TLV J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus

Looking for the shortest total travel time, I booked UA 90 EWR-TLV, leaving EWR at 10:45pm. I'm now regretting the choice but I'm probably stuck with it. It's in J, so I should be able to sleep for a reasonable part of the crossing. I'm not sure sleeping a lot is my best strategy, though.

I usually fly to Europe from ORD in Y, aiming for a noon-ish arrival. This works well; I sleep around six hours on the flight over, make my way into town, check into my accommodations, and go out for a while. By the time local nighttime arrives, I'm ready to sleep.

Arriving 4:20pm in TLV after potentially a full eight hours' sleep, I'm not sure this strategy will work.

Can anyone who takes this flight tell me what they've done to acclimate as quickly as possible?

[EDIT] Apparently I can change this reservation after all. I'd have to take two stops instead of one, but I can get onto UA84 arriving TLV at 10:15am. The equipment is shown as a 777-200 with the Continental-style business first seats, rather than the plush 777-300er used on flight 90. Hmm.

Last edited by ajGoes; Jun 12, 2017 at 8:46 am Reason: Correct flight numbers.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:04 pm
Suspended

May I ask how much you paid?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:28 pm

If you normally sleep 6 hours on your flights to Europe, why not do the same on the TLV flight? TLV is just one hour ahead of most of Europe.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

That's what I figure I'll do: I'll stay up for dinner and a movie, then have a short night's sleep. Just wondered if I'd overlooked something.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:11 pm
Suspended

I think EWR-TLV is like 12 hours? Seems plenty of time to have dinner and get a reasonable amount of rest/sleep.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

That's actually what concerns me. The last thing I want is to have a regular night's sleep before arriving at 4:20pm. I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep until the next morning Israel time.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ajGoes
That's actually what concerns me. The last thing I want is to have a regular night's sleep before arriving at 4:20pm. I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep until the next morning Israel time.
How about a short nap on the plane then?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

I think I'll aim for a happy medium. Maybe I'll be able to get up again after three or four hours' sleep.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
What does this have to do with the Middle East?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
What does this have to do with the Middle East?
Although it may be news to certain presidents of the United States, Tel Aviv is located there. I thought I might get advice from someone who has flown my exact itinerary.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I often fly UA 90/91. I have dinner, movie, sleep, and wake up with breakfast and still time left. Yes, you land at 4pm and it's "morning," but I find that I'm still somewhat tired as you don't sleep a full night on the plane. Land in Israel, get where you need to get, and worst case scenario, take Advil PM or something.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:40 am

I regularly fly LY 008, arriving at 17:10. I fly business and do sleep about 6-7 hours on the plane. I deliberately do not go to sleep after arriving inIsrael but I force myself to stay up,to my normal bedtime of 11ish. I find only sleeping during Israeli night helps.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BOSTravels
I think EWR-TLV is like 12 hours? Seems plenty of time to have dinner and get a reasonable amount of rest/sleep.
its apx 10 1/2 hrs EWR-TLV, 12 hrs is TLV-EWR but the 91 usually arrives early but you dont gain anything since CBP doesnt open till 5am = the doors must remain closed till then Problem with the 84 (flight I usually take), is by the time they finish serving dinner you have < 8 hrs to go and they wake you up apx 1 hr before landing
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
They only open at 5?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshwex90
They only open at 5?
yep, hey back in '80 I was on PanAm LHR-JFK we were diverted to EWR due to fog and low fuel, we werent allowed off the plane although it was known it would be a good few hours till we could take off. Why? simple it was a Thurs, Thanksgiving and CBP was closed for the whole day no Intl flights arriving, and we landed early afternoon. Ill never forget that

Ive had no choice and had to take the 91 and each time we arrived apx 1 hr early and simply sat till 5am when they were able to open the doors, Im not sure but I think they are allowed to off load the bags so we sort of made up some of the time, since its usually at least a 30 min wait till the bags start coming out

Just checked and tonights 91 (7/18) is due to get into EWR @ 3:51am , so they will wake everyone up for breakfast/landing and then sit for 25 mins @ the gate if 4:15 is the official time, last nights flight arrived 3 mins late, so they wont change the timings

Last edited by craz; Jun 18, 2017 at 1:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.